The Xxtra Mile LLC.
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 43s
Overall Rank = 73/819
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/46
Pre-race routine:

Got up extra early, had my oatmeal and coffee. Kati stayed at the house last night, so I got her up at 4:15, we made coffee for the road, got everything in the car and were en route by 4:45. Got to the race site early enough to park at the race site instead of a mile away, thankfully! Got to transition, my bike was where I had left it the day before, and the chick next to me was taking up about 3-3.5 feet directly behind her bike, basically ALL of MY transition space too! Luckily she was nice about it and moved it over... she had a regular smorgasbord set up on it, banana, and apple, tons of stuff! I forgot my transition towel, so my set up was about 12" x 18", ha ha! Met up with Louise to say hi. Used the portapotty a couple of times, ate a Gu 15 minutes before my wave went off.
Event warmup:

Short swim, water was very comfortable, but there was hydrilla about 2 feet below the surface of the water and you could SEE it and my hands would touch it, ew! Luckily it was not an issue during the actual swim.
Swim
  • 15m 36s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. I was in the 3rd wave, basically only 107 people went off before me. I started inside on the right in the front. As soon as the gun went off, I was swimming and immediately got a calf cramp. I was thinking, "WTF, REALLY? Nooooo!" It wanted to cramp hard too... I rode it out, tried to stretch it as I swam and it went away. At one point I think I grabbed some poor woman's crotch as I stroked when she was flipped on her back as I was passing by. I think I said, "I'm sorry" about 6 times and kept going! Started passing the wave in front of me, and took the long leg of the swim pretty wide, but had nice open water. Rounded the last buoy and calf cramp AGAIN. Rode it out, and kept thinking, "Don't be cramped getting out of the water!" It went away and I brought it home strong to the swim exit.
What would you do differently?:

Probably should have swum a more direct line, I'm sure I had some added distance by swimming a bit wide, but the alternative would have been snaking through slower swimmers, so probably a toss up. Eat some bananas and hydrate better? 3rd one out of the water in my wave.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Long run uphill on grass from the swim exit. Ran it all, but slowed down once I finally got in transition. Nothing to wipe dirty feet on, so just rolled the socks up over the grass and dirt, shoved them in the bike shoes and took off. I had a great rack, just inside the bike in/out, so not far to run at all!

3/46 AG

Remember my transition towel so I could have cleaned off my feet a little bit!
Bike
  • 38m 41s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike! I love being in an early swim wave so I don't have lots of bikers to pass! I passed a few right off the bat, then pretty much had open road by myself. I passed a lot of bikers, I think only 3 passed me. One was an elite which surprised the heck out of me, because that meant I beat her in the swim (I beat a bunch of them in the swim!!). Had one lady that passed me on a Cervelo, I passed her back on a hill and her bike was making some awful noises!! A 36 year old passed me and that was about it. There's one short, steep hill coming out of a 90 degree turn, got up out of the saddle on that one, but had to take it easy on the top, it wore me out! Spun up the rest of the hills, and had no issues. I ate some Shot Blox along the way, one about every 10 minutes which seemed to work well. I was still aware of my calf, and tried to stretch it when I was able to coast a bit.

Nothing, I felt like I rode this about as hard as I could without totally wiping out my run. Keep riding, more bike fitness = more bike speed AND a better run!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Good transition, got my bike shoes and helmet off, tossed them in the transition bag, threw on the running shoes, grabbed the race belt, sweat towel, and visor and was off!

2/46 AG

Nothing, good transition!
Run
  • 35m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I must really tense up on the bike, because this is the second run where I get these knots in my shoulders that really affect my run! Legs felt pretty good, but my HR must have been pretty high, I was breathing hard. I stopped to walk maybe 5 times, just to let my HR come down a little. I DON'T like running on mulch/grass... too soft! You really had to watch in front of you to see where to place your feet. Took in water at the first water stop just outside transition, after that I got water to either pour over my head, down my back, or down my front... which resulted in wet squishy shoes and socks. But it helped with cooling for sure. In hindsight, I should have had some of that water to drink! At the second water stop, Kati was taking pictures and told me I was doing great! I thought she was just saying that to be nice... if I had known then that I really WAS doing great, I would have had some more motivation for a better run! With about a mile to go, you come out of the woods for a second and the volunteer was telling us, "Look, you can see the finish line!" I told him he was cruel, because I knew we still had a good ways to go and a BIG hill to run UP! Ran the middle part pretty well, but ended up walking about half the hill, but then I finally hit the pavement and aaaaaah, it felt so GOOD, even though I was still running slow. Ran the rest into the finish, and a 56 year old passed me right as we entered the chute and I thought that the most I could expect at that point was 2nd or 3rd place... what I didn't know was she was in the swim wave BEFORE me and therefore 3 minutes behind me!!! Yea!

As always, the run is my nemesis... gotta keep working the bike, and the run, bricks, whatever it takes to at least be able to run a 10 minute mile and no walking!!!! Grrrrrr, thank god I do so well in the swim and bike that I can suck at the run and still come in first!
Post race
Warm down:

None. Went to the VIP area to get our schwag that they didn't hand out at packet pick up... nice sleeveless tech shirt, snacks, razors, etc. Waited for Louise to come in, talked with her a bit, and then they finally started posting some times. They put up 2 sheets and there were names highlighted and I asked what those were and the girl said, "Those are the division champions". I jokingly said, "But I don't see MY name!" HA ha, she laughed politely. Then they put up the 3rd sheet and my name WAS highlighted, ha ha!! Too funny.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run.

Event comments:

So knowing I had won 1st AG, we waited around for the awards, saw no tables with medals being set up, nothing. Finally we wandered back towards the finish line and they were giving out awards... there was hardly anyone there! By the time I got there they were calling 45-49, so I made it just in time. Got to have my picture taken with Michellie Jones, pro triathlete! No medal, but a certificate with a voucher for a FREE race entry next year on any of their race series.... this one cost $95 so pretty nice!

This is the 3rd time I have raced this venue and what an improvement!

First 2 times were in 2008:
#1: 1:42:43
#2: 1:40:51
Today: 1:33:43 (over 7 minutes FASTER!!)

I was almost 4 minutes faster than the second place AG finisher... yeah, I pretty much had an AWESOME race!!!!!

Last updated: 2012-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:36 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/46
Overall: 22/819
Performance: Good
Suit: KiWAMi one piece tri suit
Course: Rectangular swim, out to buoy, make a right turn, swim to the next buoy, make a right turn and angle back to the shore to swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:41 | 12 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/46
Overall: 41/819
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One big loop around the lake with a few good hills and some rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:28 | 03.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/46
Overall: 46/819
Performance: Below average
Course: Trail run on loose bark mulch, some grass and dirt and finally some pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-03 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Danskin Triathlon Series - Austin

sadf

Getting ready for a swim warm up....

sdf

Ready to race!  All warmed up!

sdf

sdf

Waiting to go... why's that chick sticking her finger in my eye??

sdf

And wave 3 is off!

sadf

Swim is done, I'm out of the water....

asdf

Long run to transition.

sd

Heading out on the bike...

asdf

Oh yeah, baby, #1, had a GREAT ride!

sadf

And onto the run....

as

Cooling off....

sdf

asdf

FINALLY the finish line!!!  I think that is Sally Edwards in the crazy attire!

sdf

sdf

Me and Louise at the finish, GO MMM'ers!!  We rocked it!

asd

Getting my award with Michellie Jones!

sdf

And last, but not least, the bling... of course!

Edited by hildekq 2012-06-03 2:20 PM

2012-06-03 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4241792

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: Danskin Triathlon Series - Austin

HILDE - YOU ARE AWESOME!!!  Your time was fantastic and in the pictures you look fantastic - muscled, strong and thin! 

2012-06-03 5:09 PM

User image

New user
KY
DAMMMMNNNNN!!!  If that was not a KICK A$$ triathlon performance than I don't know what is!  Big, gigantic congratulations!  I am just amazed more than anything that you beat elites in the swim- that is so cool!  And 1st in your age group out of 46?  Really?  That's an enormous age group.  And what a cool prize!  Bet you're already looking forward to next year's race.  Great photos, too.  That lake looked almost surreal in the morning light.  And it looked like the swim waves were not too crowded.  That had to be an enjoyable swim, despite having to say "I'm sorry" six times, lol!  Well, absolutely fabulous job and please spoil yourself tonight/tomorrow.  Chocolate?  Wine?  Nothing unhealthy counts within 48 hours, right?!
2012-06-03 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats to you and Louise. Great time and effort to you both!
2012-06-03 7:42 PM

User image

Temple, TX

You were, as usual, the HildeBeast.  You grabbed crotches, passed the Beach Cruisers, and kicked up grass behind you as you ran.  Was a GREAT race, I'm SO proud of you!!!  Love you lots little lady! XOXO

Keeks

2012-06-03 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
I'd say that was an AWESOME race! Glad the water weeds and the leg cramp weren't an issue. Nicely done Hilde!

2012-06-04 12:03 AM
in reply to: #4242185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Girl, you're disproving the idea that we slow down as we age- you are amazing!!
2012-06-04 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Woohoo!! Congrats on 1st in AG, Hilde!  You kicked some major A$$!!!!  Way to go! 
2012-06-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4242778

User image

Hendricks County
Oh Hilde, you're a rock star.  Seriously what the heck?!?!?!  I'm going to have to have you sign my chest or something when I'm in Texas.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Triathlon Series - Austin Rss Feed