General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Greensboro, advice on pools Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-03 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: Moving to Greensboro, advice on pools
Going to be moving to the Greensboro area (specifically the Northwest Guilford County area) and have been looking into the tri scene there.  Specifically focussing right now on options for swimming.   Not having an easy time identifying pools (other than Greensboro Aquatic Center) or areas to do OWS.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Is early morning lap swimming at GAC crowded?  Thanks for any input folks are able to share.   

2012-06-03 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4241798

Subject: RE: Moving to Greensboro, advice on pools
Welcome to the Greensboro area! I live in the north part of town and drive to the Greensboro Aquatic Center (GAC) for my swims. In the few months that I've been swimming there, I've never had issues having a lane to myself. I was told to avoid after-school times (between 3PM and 7PM), as it is over-run with school and local swim teams. On certain mornings they turn the pool into a long course setup. (sorry, I can't remember which days!) The competition pool is HUGE, and there are tons of lanes. There's also a therapy pool as an option which typically has one or two lanes, but it is MUCH warmer. When it's really busy, they sometimes open the dive well up for lap swim (I've not seen this happen much). The comp pool can be borderline cold somedays, but most of the time it is perfect. The facility itself is top-notch, and I'm very happy there. The only downside is that sometimes the entire place is closed down due to big meets, but they send out emails and give advance warnings about this. I can't offer you a lot of advice on other pools, but there are numerous YMCA's in the area which I have heard can be more crowded due to less lanes than the GAC (this is what I've heard....no personal experience.)

As for open water swims, I'm not sure. If anybody else can chime in, I'd love to know as well. There is a lot of open water in the area, but I haven't been able to connect with anyone local for OWS.

If you need any other Greensboro advice, let me know!
2012-06-03 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4242066

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: RE: Moving to Greensboro, advice on pools

beckyb29 - 2012-06-03 7:33 PM Welcome to the Greensboro area! I live in the north part of town and drive to the Greensboro Aquatic Center (GAC) for my swims. In the few months that I've been swimming there, I've never had issues having a lane to myself. I was told to avoid after-school times (between 3PM and 7PM), as it is over-run with school and local swim teams. On certain mornings they turn the pool into a long course setup. (sorry, I can't remember which days!) The competition pool is HUGE, and there are tons of lanes. There's also a therapy pool as an option which typically has one or two lanes, but it is MUCH warmer. When it's really busy, they sometimes open the dive well up for lap swim (I've not seen this happen much). The comp pool can be borderline cold somedays, but most of the time it is perfect. The facility itself is top-notch, and I'm very happy there. The only downside is that sometimes the entire place is closed down due to big meets, but they send out emails and give advance warnings about this. I can't offer you a lot of advice on other pools, but there are numerous YMCA's in the area which I have heard can be more crowded due to less lanes than the GAC (this is what I've heard....no personal experience.) As for open water swims, I'm not sure. If anybody else can chime in, I'd love to know as well. There is a lot of open water in the area, but I haven't been able to connect with anyone local for OWS. If you need any other Greensboro advice, let me know!

Thanks for the info.  Spent some more time looking at the website and GAC looks like an awesome facility.  I'm an early morning swimmer (at least I used to be as it's been too long since I last swam) so I'd likely be there when the doors open at 6am.  Will be approximately a 30' drive for me but seems it may be well worth it.   Still trying to orient myself (which will be easier once I'm actually living there and can drive around) but I think I'll be fairly close to Lake Higgins / Lake Brandt but the Greensboro Parks and Rec web site says swimming not allowed.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Greensboro, advice on pools Rss Feed