General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 29s
Overall Rank = 58/387
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/38
Pre-race routine:

this is the first race that jenny did not come with me; to race or cheer on. so i got up at 4, made my usual pancakes. Ate double checked i had everything, packed the car, and went to the bathroom. This is my exact routine prior to every race. A little TMI, but the bathroom was not a good experience, which is quite unusual for me.
Event warmup:

I arrived at 6. Got a great spot on the rack, of my choice. there were 4 racks for the 40-50 group. Wow

i walked around and little and had to go to the bathroom again. THis never happens. My stomach was upset. that got me a little worried.

So i just hung out for a while, and relaxed. then i rode about 8 miles on the bike for a little warm up and to check out the beginning of the bike course.

Swim
  • 20m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was almost a minute slower than last year and took more out of me. The water was warmer, but not a factor. I had not swam in over a month, so i was just plain not prepared. I chugged a good gulp of water a few times and my navigation was quite poor. It really felt like a struggle compared to previous years swims.
What would you do differently?:

Not go on vacation for a week in may, and not throw my neck out during that vacation.

I am going to start getting serious about my swim workouts. prolly still only do twice a week, but hit it hard and longer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

this is a long run to the transition. I felt wasted after the swim. I hard time getting my wetsuit unzipped, but once i did the rest of transition went smooth

I did not get up to speed and completely in my shoes prior to the hill out of transition. then i started to get up to speed

not much
Bike
  • 1h 11m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

i really was feeling off when i got on the bike. I did not push it hard enough until about mile 12. that is when a 26 year old female friend of my partner passed me. she has only been doing triathlons for a year and this was her first olympic. she was in the water 6 minutes before me but i knew i would pass her in the swim. I nearly fell over when she passed me. so then i was hell bent on not letting her out bike me and/or out run me. It was very difficult to keep her in my sight. and eventually i lost her toward the end of the bike. But it made me go much harder and probably the effort level i should have been going the whole time

push it harder, and train more hard efforts. Also i need hill work
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

this transition was 15 seconds faster than last years, so i did something right.
Run
  • 47m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out of transition and was attempting to spot the woman who passed me on the bike, but the sprint course people made it impossible. I attempted to keep a decent pace. I figured running was decent of late, so could hold last years pace. I was wrong. I got to mile 2 and started to cramp. I had to walk a few steps and bend over to get rid of the cramp (twice). then when i got to the top of the hill and almost to the turn around i saw the woman i wanted to catch, going the other way. she was about .3 miles ahead of me. then it was on. I walked thru the aid station to try and get as much fuel in me as possible. then the down hill, which i think i am very good at. the rest of the 3 miles i averaged 7:15 . so that is the pace i should have been at. It hurt but i could deal with it. then we had the little side out and back and i had gained on her. so i just tried to keep pushing it. I was under fueled at this point so i took in fuel at every aid station and dumped water on my head.

now that i think about it, i let my legs dictate how i ran out of transition. I took short quick steps and tried to stay light on my feet. I think that why i started cramping, with my elevated heart rate. I have to force myself to lengthen my strides out of transition. stretch out the legs and get into my stride. I really accelerated thru the last 3 miles, once the cramping was done and i ran the way i am supposed to.
Post race
Warm down:

stumble around, and wade into the lake, to cool off legs

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I swear i forgot all that i learned last summer. I need to attack the bike, and run with the right form from the start of the run.

ALso not being in the pool and zero open water swims for the last month, was unfortunate.

I expected to be over 21 MPH on the bike. so i have been deluding myself on my training. I have many more miles than last year on the bike at this time. However i need to go out and hit the bike hard when i do , except on recovery rides.

Event comments:

overall i was 1 minute slower than last year. My beginning of the year goal for this race was 2:15. It was a good evaluation of my current fitness level, and a motivator for the future.

I also think it is a not cool that they ran out of both finisher medals and water. That really disappoints me. I think the lack of attention to the racers that come in later is upsetting. everyone paid the same entry, everyone should get the same treatment.

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 38/387
Performance: Average
HR max 180
Suit: wetsuit
Course: just a counterclock wise triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:45 | 24.85 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/38
avg around 162 max 172
Wind: Little
Course: this course was said to be very flat and fast prior to the race. It is a different course than last year. the garmin said if only changed elevation by 100 ft, so i guess it is flat. It did not feel that way to me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/38
started in 160 ended 175
Course: it is out and back with a little side out and back added. at mile 2 there is a decent hill that feels like it goes on forever, probably because it is on a curve, so you cant see the end of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 9:19 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-06-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4242912

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course
Great race despite the few hiccups with cramping, etc.  I think your Garmin is WAY off on that 100 feet of elevation!  No way.  I thought it was hilly.  For a course of that distance, at least 500 feet of climbing.  Super awesome swim!
2012-06-04 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Great job, Pete! Your swim times continue to blow my mind (especially when you're concerned about the lack of training and OWS going into the race). Your transitions were excellent, as well! Sorry about the disappointing bike and run. It looks like you've had a lot of training volume over the last couple of weeks. Obviously I don't know your goal races for the summer, but maybe a little more taper leading into your race may improve the performance?

Good luck this weekend, and hopefully I'll see you at lake Rebecca!

2012-06-11 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Nice race and great swim!  I can only dream of swimming anywhere close to that.  It's interesting how much faster we can go when we have a little motivation on the course, I've had the same thing happen to me.  Going faster trying to match/catch someone.  Maybe we need something like those rabbits at the dog track? 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed