3 Mountain Madness
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 09m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We loaded up and drove to Mount Airy after work on Friday. It looked like we were going to get to the host site slightly after the 7pm early pickup time. No worries, I could get my packet on Saturday morning. Kevin decided to swing by in case people were still there stuffing packets or whatever. Besides, Emma was due for a potty break. We stopped and I went to the pick up area and the lights were off. Someone stopped his pickup truck next to me and asked if I was there for packet pickup. When I replied yes, he got out of his truck, unlocked the side door and found my packet. Wow! That was super nice of him!

We got to the hotel about 15 minutes later and checked in. The hotel was sold out. There was a fiddler's convention in town. I knew about this because my dad, his banjo and his friend (and his banjo) were attending. Seriously. (http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_story/18840666/article-Turn-out-high-at-the-fiddlers-convention-Saturday)

Since I knew that breakfast at the hotel started at 7 and I needed to leave for the event start at 7, I brought a bagel and peanut butter. The hotel did have coffee so I had a small cup of that as well.

We left for ride start at 7:00. We had been warned that they were closing the road at 7:30. Once we got there, I met up with Doug, Mark, Sandra, Ron and other friends from the Raleigh area.

Event warmup:

At about 7:45, we all lined up our bikes and we were off! 507 cyclists were registered for one of three routes.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 75 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 45 minutes of the ride is your typical large group/charity ride. I averaged over 18 mph here. Then we approached Sauratown Mountain, our first climb of the day. The next 15 minutes were slower and the groups started to break up. Then we did the climb of Sauratown and group riding was over.

On Sauratown, were climbing climbing climbing -- lots of little gear, some standing -- and sort of near the top. I said to the person next to me, "Who thought this was a good idea?" He replied, "I know! And we paid money for this! And trained for this!" I said, "We were supposed to train for this?" Eventually we got to the top, did the loop and came back down. The first rest stop is just after the bottom of Sauratown. I knew to stop here because they have good bathrooms. The second rest stop is at the top of Hanging Rock and the bathrooms there are not convenient.

After just over 15 minutes of hills, we arrived at Hanging Rock. I remembered that Hanging Rock was the shorted climb. I was harder than I remembered it though! Lots of the smallest gear. Some standing. Refill the water bottles, descend and then ride hills for the next 90 minutes (and two more rest stops). At the 60 mile rest stop, I kind of gathered myself for Pilot. In three miles I'd be on the steepest climb of the day. Also, it was just after noon at this point and the day the park roads were opened so we'd be dealing with car traffic as well.

My notes said that the toughest grades were in the first 1.6 miles from the ranger station. After that the tree canopy should open a bit and the grade should be less horrible. As I approached the ranger station, already climbing, I switched the Garmin to show mileage. Just as I feared, there were cars. A lot of cars. They were slowly snaking their way up the mountain. It looked like there was a ranger's pickup truck leading the conga line. The cars were moving slower than I was. There were riders descending on the left but most cars were pulled all the way left on the yellow line leaving a narrow path on the right. I passed three cars and several cyclists. My heart was pounding. I saw some volunteers at the corner. I just need to make it there. I passed the ranger's pickup truck, the trees opened a bit and I looked at my Garmin. 1.7 miles. More than half way there. The top was at about three miles. I took the required photos and headed down. The park rangers asked us to keep descents to 25 mph. I was trying to keep the speed down but I was not watching my bike computer closely. I probably kept it under 30.

I stopped at the bottom of Pilot and called Kevin to give in an ETA. I refilled my water bottles and road the last 10 miles.

I had a great time on this ride. I was really pleased with how it went too. I didn’t PR the course or anything but I came pretty close (14.67 best versus 14.59 today) and last time I did this event, I was a cyclist and this was an A event for me. Now it’s a training ride and I’ve done a lot of running and swimming but a lot less riding and hill repeats. The other thing is that I felt good when it was over. I didn’t struggle to get it in, I was like, darn it! I lost too much time on Pilot. I need to really push to get this thing home if I want to PR!

The road bike did great today. Very spiffy after the last tune up.

Post race
Warm down:

I met Kevin and Emma at the end of the ride. The event takes place at a community center (think YMCA) with a nice shower area. I showered and then we had lunch. The ride provides lunch -- sandwiches, fruit salad, bags of chips and baked goods.

Event comments:

Everyone had smiles on their faces at the end of the ride -- not because it was over but because they had such a good time.

I cannot say enough about the volunteers. The ride support is outstanding. One of my friends had a derailleur just before the first climb. She thought her day was done. A support vehicle stopped, called a mechanic who came out and fixed her bike on the side of the road. She was on the road again in 30 minutes. They sagged her to the next rest stop and she finished the ride (skipping the first climb due to time constraints rather than mechanical issues). That's impressive!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 75 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: The event site describes it as a charity bicycle ride to the top of Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock, and Sauratown Mountain. Most roads were chipseal but there were few potholes and little debris.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: 3 Mountain Madness - 75 mile loop

2012-06-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4242961

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: 3 Mountain Madness - 75 mile loop
Awesome, Janyne! Great ride and beautiful photos.
2012-06-04 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome ride. I too loved the pics, especially Emma
2012-06-04 11:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Great write-up and congrats!!  I loved your comment you made on the first climb, "Were we supposed to train for this?" LOL!  Love the pictures, too, just beautiful.  I have to agree with Chris, the one of Emma is my favorite, she looks so sweet.  I love dogs!!
2012-06-04 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Great job Janyne!  Emma is very cute Laughing
2012-06-04 1:10 PM

User image

Seattle
Nice work and great pics!

2012-06-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4243492

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

bcraht - 2012-06-04 1:41 PM Great job Janyne!  Emma is very cute Laughing

Emma had a rough day, flitching pets from strangers and waiting for mom to get back.  No wonder she slept the whole way home!

2012-06-04 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
sounds like a fun (?) time, congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Mountain Madness - 75 mile loop Rss Feed