General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newnan, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44M
Age Group Rank = 16/30
Pre-race routine:

I got everything packed up and ready Friday night. Woke up around 5:00 am and was out the door by 5:20 am. I bought oatmeal and a banana with me for the car ride. I ate those around 6:00 on the way down. I got to the race about 6:30. Got checked in, body marked, and racked by 6:45 am. Everything went smoothly.
Event warmup:

I walked around transition to get oriented. Did some light running and stretching.
Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got off to a slow start. The swim start was a little chaotic - I hate wave starts - strongly prefer time trial starts. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I have a bad habit of swimming more cautiously during the contact of a wave start. Once the crowd thinned out, I was fine. Got comfortable and found a rhythm. In retrospect, I should have busted it a little harder due to the short distance.
What would you do differently?:

Talk to my coach about strategy on swim starts. Also, let it rip when I get a little room in the water - probably left a little too much in the tank during the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Way too slow. I spent a solid minute (at least) more then I should be during T1. I need to make some easy (and obvious) adjustments to my T1 to pick up time.

I need to go ahead and buy a tri top and swim in it. Have to stop screwing around with getting a shirt on with wet skin. I bought a sleeveless bike jersey, but it still gets stuck on my shoulders and back. Also, I'm going to stop putting socks on for the bike leg. Same issue - the socks get stuck on wet skin. Next race: helmet on, shoes on, and go.
Bike
  • 47m 13s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me to about mile 4 to get my legs, breathing, and heart rate under control. After mile 4 I felt good. I was happy with the way I timed my gear changes going up hill. I felt like I recovered well after a hill, too. This is my first race of the year - I'm hoping I'll be able to get up to speed faster as the summer goes on.

Keep training. After mile 4 I felt good. Need to focus on improving my bike fitness to get up to speed faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Slow. Need to improve getting through T2 faster.

I know this is slow but the physical adjustments here are not as obvious as T1. I need to stay mentally focused during T2 and bust through it. Think I got a little mentally lazy during T2.
Run
  • 20m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Very happy with this run. I was able to find my running legs quickly. Breathing and heart rate was under control almost right away. I felt good on the hills. I focused on short, fast strides to get up the hills. That is a tip from my coach and it works very well for me. I feel like I get up the hill quickly without blasting my legs.

Not too much. Keep training and try and get faster throughout the summer.
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much. Drank water, ate some of the food, watched some friends finish, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No strategy for swim start, bad prep and decision making on T1, bike fitness not where it needs to be. Again, after mile 4 I felt good. I think I burned a lot of time during miles 1 - 4 getting my legs under me.

Event comments:

Good race. Lots of volunteers, bike course seemed to be safe in terms of car traffic, good post race drinks and food. I'll do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2012-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 656 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Straight out to a turn buoy, hard left, then back in. Easy course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:13 | 14.7 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/30
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course. Some rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:51 | 03.1 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/30
Performance: Good
Course: This course has a fair amount of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 2:52 PM

New user

Atlanta
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - Blalock Lakes Rss Feed