ING
18C / 64F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had a bagel, some eggs, a couple of cheese sticks, and some almond butter for breakfast, and drank some Nuun. My sibs kindly dropped me off near the start line, and I wandered around to stay warm, hit the porta-potties, and walked around a bit more. Felt a bit nervous, but more curious than anything else: how was the day going to go? No way to know until it starts...
Event warmup:

Some walking around the start area, but that's about it.
Run
  • 4h 53m 24s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Honestly, I couldn't have asked for a better run. The weather was cool, a but cloudy to start, with the sun coming out about halfway through for me. Beautiful course, plenty to see along the way, and lots of water stops. Plus, my fab sibs and the dog came out to cheer me on at a couple of places: that carried me right along for the next few miles each time! :) I ran most of the time, walked when I needed to, and didn't push the pace at all-- so by the time I saw the finish line, I was able to hit a surge for it. My goals were to finish smiling, uninjured, and ideally in under 5 hours: made all 3 goals!
What would you do differently?:

Not have the whirlwind of stress and lack of sleep for the month leading up to the race? Seriously, since life intervened I did the best I could with the training I could grab. Next time, I'd hope to be less swamped and thus able to do a few more long runs-- but for having topped out at 16 miles beforehand, I figure I did pretty darn well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the long finish chute to collect my blanket, race medal, and some orange slices, then walked through the crowds to find my sibs. We then walked to the car (and I drank a liter of blessedly cold water on the way) and drove off to lunch: my sister (aka the Chief Enabler) is the bestest enabler ever: she packed a change of clothes, some wipes, and deodorant for me to get changed when we got to the restaurant! That burger, fries, and beer was exactly what I wanted, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time, really. But I'm not disappointed in the least at my time-- nor was I particularly sore or exhausted after the race. A bit more sore and tired than after a half-marathon, but honestly not much more than that, to my surprise,

Event comments:

Thoroughly enjoyed the race and will probably do it again next year! Lovely course, great organization, and even bands regularly spaced out along the course to play for us. Fab crowds, too, including folk with hoses in their front yards willing to spray hot runners near the last turn back to the city. An excellent experience for sure!

Last updated: 2011-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
04:53:24 | 26.1 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Through the city of Ottawa and over the bridge into Gatineau (Quebec-- one of the cool parts of the race is it goes through 2 provinces!) and back. Mixture of flats and hills, with one rather tall hill almost halfway through and several bridges to cross.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ottawa Marathon

2012-06-05 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4244654

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ottawa Marathon
Great job! Not an easy race and ya did it....
2012-06-05 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4245011

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Ottawa Marathon

Well, you embraced the craziness and finished the race smiling and uninjured, WIN-WIN!!!  Always a bit nerve wracking going into something big like that knowing you didn't get all your training in, but as always you were smart and didn't go balls to the wall!  (not that you could being a girl and all... )  Awesome effort, Alex, can't wait to see what you can do on the NEXT one!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ottawa Marathon Rss Feed