General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tires - Conti GP4000 vs Conti GP 4 Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-02 11:13 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: bike tires - Conti GP4000 vs Conti GP 4 Season
once again a bike shop dude was horrified to learn that i do all my races with the Specialized Armadillo tank treads. i finally made up my mind to get new (lighter) ones and keep the Armadillos for long training rides over rough roads.

the bike guy said the 4 Seasons are almost as tough as the Armadillos and stronger than the GP4000. online i've read that the GP4000 and 4 Seasons are pretty much equal, but the All Seasons are better in rain and on rough pavement.

i'm leaning towards the GP4000 as it stands now. any thoughs from my bike tire savvy fellow BTers?

2006-06-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: #441311

User image

Subject: RE: bike tires - Conti GP4000 vs Conti GP 4 Season
I've got the GP4000's and like them so far. Looking forward to racing with them, as they're faster than my stock bontragers. But when push comes to shove, I just don't trust them on slick roads/corners.

I put them on for late spring/summer/early fall riding only at the advice of my LBS... and will go back to my stock tires for the off-season.

Edited to add: I do notice that they're a stiffer ride, so rough pavement is a little more noticeable. But they also seem to be more responsive. So.. the tradeoff is good enough for me!

Edited by Vaiza 2006-06-02 1:36 PM
2006-06-02 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Last year I used the Continental 3000 and they were great.  It was only natural to switch to the 4000s this year.  When I made the switch I really liked them, even liked them better than the 3000s.  After a 3-4 months of use though I am replacing them with Michelin Pro Race 2 as the tires have just been chewed up.  I have multiple patches on them and a bunch of other "scars" and what not.  I don't know if it was the tires fault or riding in the hills after the rains we had.  The rains brought a ton of gravel and stuff of the hill and onto the side of the road.  The debris just played havoc with the tires.

Now that we won't see rain again for a half year I should be alright but I'm switching tires anyway.

Whatever you decide check out the prices at www.probikekit.com.  I got 3 Pro Race tires for $24/ea and no shipping charges.  The Continentals are probably the same.  Killer prices and I got the package in 4 days from England.

2006-06-02 4:23 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
thanks, i might go with the Conti GP 4 Season, then, after all. i ride a lot of rough, old pavement with gravel and permanently wet roads (thanks to our world famous fog) and i'm a glutton for durability.

i'll check out that website!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike tires - Conti GP4000 vs Conti GP 4 Season Rss Feed