REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 52m 7s
Overall Rank = 180/656
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/68
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am to start the pre-race routine early and get to T1 early to guarantee a parking spot at the race site. I checked out of the hotel, stepped outside and it was pouring. I thought for sure they would cancel the swim considering the down pour all night and well into the morning. I tried to block the rain and went on with my normal race day routine. I got to the race site just as they opened transition. Since I was plenty early, I turned off the car, cranked some tunes, and listened to the heavy rain come down. The rain let up a bit and I headed to transition to set up.
Event warmup:

No warm up per se, more like trying to stay warm because I was freezing from the cold rain.
Swim
  • 32m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim started about 15mins late because the buoys shifted overnight due to the rain/storm. It wasn't totally clear if we were supposed to keep all buoys on our right or just the corner buoys. After we passed the first sighting buoy and seeing people right of the buoy without being redirected, I just followed suit to keep a straighter line.
What would you do differently?:

For me, this was right around what I expected. maybe two mins slower, but overall pretty good for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This was a bit slower for me. My suit got stuck on the timing chip, which caused the delay.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 40s
  • 40 kms
  • 29.75 km/hr
Comments:

Hill training and more strength training. Considering the conditions, I was pretty happy with my effort. I made a tone of time and regained a decent position after a BOP swim finish.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

30 seconds slower than normal. I think I just took my time and didn't get to crazy with a fast T2.
Run
  • 54m 51s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 29s  min/km
Comments:

By mile 4.5, my stomach was rebelling against me. I was hurting badly and had to pull over for a few mins. After regaining my bodily issues, I trotted the final mile, which slowed my run time a few mins. By this point, I was just thinking of finishing rather than finishing with a good time. That's how it goes sometimes!
What would you do differently?:

Try to get my fluid and nutrition management in sync next time, especially with a 4am wake up time.
Post race
Warm down:

Rev3 does a fantastic job in organizing the race and truly makes you feel like a pro. Found the NormaTec tent and got some good recovery time. Chatted with other GSR races and reminisced about the rain the entire race and challenging, but honest course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition management

Event comments:

Looking forward to next year. Rev3 knows how to organize a great race. even though it rained, they found a way to keep the race running smoothly. Great work Rev3!

Last updated: 2012-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/68
Overall: 399/656
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2 Sleeveless
Course: One lap clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:40 | 40 kms | 29.75 km/hr
Age Group: 25/68
Overall: 140/656
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: This was a challenging course, which kept you honest, but after doing Harriman two week prior, it didn't seem as brutal. The rain definitely kept things slower than normal. There were a few points where I got my bike to over 45mph, which is definitely the fastest I've ever been on a bike. Thank got there were no corners or stopping during this point.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:51 | 10 kms | 05m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 29/68
Overall: 180/656
Performance: Below average
Course: Still raining at this point, so the run was fairly cool and shaded. The first few miles were downhill and made for a fast start, but then a challenging hill, which slowed me down considerably. Some undulating hills afterwards, but nothing too crazy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-09 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

2012-06-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4253592

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev

nice job Bro!!!

Martha's Vineyard will be a cake walk after Quassy!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Olympic Rev Rss Feed