TriUtah
99F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 17m 33s
Overall Rank = 44/53
Age Group = over 40 clyde
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Got up 2 hours early. Had a PB&J bagel and a cup of coffee. Went to the bathroom and loaded up to go. Got to the venue at 6, checked in, got my transition set up.
Event warmup:

Not much in the way of warmup. Walked around a bit, and talked with my wife.
Swim
  • 32m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a good swim overall. The lake was very nice. The water was cold, but it felt good. My wetsuit worked fantastic. Good sighting. Had a good pace and felt good. Passed a lot of people from the 1st wave. We started 2nd about 5 minutes after the full xterra group. Water was a bit choppy as the wind continued to build. Had to change sides breathing after rounding bouys to either avoid the sun in my eyes, or the waves crashing over my head.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was the best event of the day for me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Slow transitions. The run from the lake up to transition was through rock,sand,gravel. They did have some green carpeting at the swim exit and up the bank a bit and I had a pair of shoes there so I didn't have to run on gravel, but my feet were still caked. Took a little extra time to clean up before getting my shoes on.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.20 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was tough. Usually my best event. The only consolation was everyone else had to deal with the wind as well. To make things worse, after grinding up into the mountains, the sign for the turn around was not clear and all the olympic people passed it up and rode probably another 1/2 mile. After the last turn around, the route back down was super fast back downhill with the wind at our back. Topped out at 43 mph and probably averaged close to 40 at this point. Almost made up for the 8 mph grind uphill.

Train more
Transition 2
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

Slow here as well. Took extra time as since my feet dried off on the bike, all the sand and grit was dry so I took time to empty out my socks before the run. That and I was gassed from the bike.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 51m 45s
  • 6.8 miles
  • 16m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I guess you could technically call this the run, but I was slow. I mixed running and walking. I was really depleted by the bike and the altitude and the trail kicked my butt. This was a beautiful area and the run went up to a nice little waterfall, but I was spent. Just tried to keep moving and run where I could. This was the first time I ever considered stopping, but I was not going to let the course beat me. Plus, half the other people out there were doing the run/walk thing too.

Train at high altitude? The area here is over 4500 feet and I'm not used to that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, and sat on a rock.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude and wind

Event comments:

Low rating for the mislabelled turn around on the bike course. The course was very pretty, but tough. I have all the respect for exterra racers as we ran the same run course and it was really tough.

Last updated: 2012-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:52 | 1640 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/53
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Triangle, counterclockwise, 2 loops.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:45:01 | 24.85 miles | 14.20 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: T shaped course. Headed out of the lake area to street and then north for 6 miles. This flew with wind at my back and down grade the whole way. Probably averaged 35 mph. Then it was time to turn around. The wind was brutal. Steady 25mph direct headwind with gusts of probably 35 mph and the next 12 miles all up grade into the mountains. The grade was deceiving, and the wind was relentless.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:51:45 | 06.8 miles | 16m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop course consisting of single track trail into the mountains and back. The trail was a mix of deep sand, rocks, some slickrock, and a few gravel sections. The sand was soft and deep and the trail changed elevation quite a lot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 9:12 AM

New user
Yorkville, IL
Subject: Moab Road Olympic Triathlon

2012-06-11 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4253811

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Moab Road Olympic Triathlon

I second all of your comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a tough race.  Nice job toughing it out! Part of me thinks there is no way I would do it again, but then I think on a less windy day it would have been a blast.

Nice job, way to finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moab Road Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed