General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Redondo Beach, California
United States
TC Tri Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 48s
Overall Rank = 445/519
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

Since I was busy all day yesterday volunteering for our Bicycle Club Big Bear Century ride I wasn't able to pick up my packet the day before. We left the house at 4:30 a.m. and arrived about 5:30. Transition was due to open at 5:45. I was able to easily pick up my packet and get great spot in transition. I was probably the 3rd one in. Course this provides way too much time before the start of the race.
I ate a banana and English Muffin with Peanut Butter. I sipped water.
We went to look at the waves which looked calm.
Since my last swim at Encinitas I wanted to do this one to make sure the last swim was just a fluke. I had practice at a clinic in the same spot the weekend before and this morning waves looked calm.
Event warmup:

I met my new friend, Leslie, from the clinic and helped her get her transition set up. She had had a couple of panic issues while swimming getting ready for this race, so we knew we wanted to get into the water and really get warmed up and use to the waves and water.
The race organizer is a PE teacher and he had one of his students play the national anthem on the flute. Then a local cub scout group served as color guard and led us down to the swim start about 1/4 mile away from where we exited from transition.
We went through the waves which were breaking while we could still stand and got in a couple of 100 yards. Leslie didn't want to get too tired out, so we made our way to the starting corral to see the waves ahead of us start. We were in wave 5. We were told there was a northerly current so we needed to head to the left of the first bout and turn right.
Swim
  • 29m 5s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

I kept swimming out to sea. I got into a rhythm of sighting every 5 strokes, but kept moving out to sea. I think I did a zig zag course. There were guards on surfboards and in kayaks, but they kept moving around, not good to sight on.
I didn't get tired and just kept swimming but it seemed like a really long swim. I wasn't the last purple cap out of the water but I was definitely in the back.
It was kind of nice being the last wave that way noone was catching up to and passing us.
What would you do differently?:

keep practice sighting. Keep practicing open water swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

surprise - 1st in division for T1. I wasn't able to run up the sand, but once I hit the path we had a good 1/4 mile back to transition and I did jog the whole way into transition. I'm usually pretty fast at transitions, but this one seem slower because I could feel the affects of the swim.
Another girl next to me came into transition before me and I was able to pass her running out. She did catch me right away on the bike though.

try to run up the sand. work faster at taking off the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 22m 31s
  • 6 miles
  • 15.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a lot of people on the bike but by the time I was out of the swim, there were a lot of Recreational/Mini Sprint riders on the course. I was able to push it pretty well. The short steep hill really threw me at the end of the loop. Although I dropped down to my lowest gear (still in middle chain ring), I had to stand and ended up slowing down to 5 MPH. I kept it in mind preparing for it on the next loop. But it was tough and I just wasn't able to keep my speed up. There were beginners really zig zagging on the course, as I tried to pass one guy on a mountain bike, I hit two botz dots really hard, so I prayed I wouldn't flat. I pass Leslie as she was finishing up her first lap, she looked strong.

drink a little more, because once I was running I felt like I need to hydrate.
I think I would try to practice that hill before the race next time so I could plan a strategy. It was tough so much work on your quads when you knew you still had to run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

again, my transition just didn't go as fast as I normally can, 5th in division, I think because in this race I was really pushing it more than any other. I could not easily get my run shoes and ended up running with the tongue all twisted. Several in my division rode and ran in the same shoes. Not bad time considering I changed.

work on shoes
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 2 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

There were a lot of volunteers along the course. I asked them where they were on the swim to keep me from swimming out to sea. My goal was to run the whole thing and only walk at the water stops. I passed Clydes and a couple of age grouper snd athenas. I wanted to walk but I knew I could make the whole thing. At the end we did have to run up the same hill as the end of the bike ride. I was able to run "very slowly" up the whole hill, but I could feel it in my quads.

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

I got water and "nothing bunt cakes" pieces and then we went to wait/watch for Leslie. She finished strong.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely if I can drop more pounds my speed should pick up. Work on sighting.

Event comments:

I did this race to "get back in the water" so to speak because of my last place and poor performance on the swim/run in the Encinatas tri. I know it was short compared to most sprint tris but I was mostly interested and making it through the swim, by swimming and not just breast stroking the majority of it. I also wanted to run the whole 2 miles and not be in last place.
I did enter as an Athena instead of age group, but there were a lot of very fit and fast Athenas out there. My recovery was good, so I always feel like I could have pushed it a little more.

Last updated: 2012-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:05 | 880 yards | 03m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 0/519
Performance:
8th out of the water. I think my swimming off course added at least 200 yards.
Suit: wetsuit
Course: We swam along the jetty and out through the breaks then rounded a buoy. There were lifeguards in bright pink rash guards lining our way out. Then we swam parallel to the beach for about 750 yards past two more buoys and then back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:22:31 | 06 miles | 15.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: such a short course, down a closed street, two loops. There was a very steep short hill at the end of each loop, with a fast curving downhill leading into it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:09 | 02 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/15
Performance: Below average
Course: Called a "Scenic" course it went down around the warf and pass shops through parking areas and back. It was really a nice place to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redondo Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed