General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m 18s
Overall Rank = 187/315
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 29/43
Pre-race routine:

This was a first for me; no family with me. Normally my wife and children tag along, but we had conflicting schedules. So...woke up about 3:45, had some coffee, and finished packing the last few items. I got on the road about 4:30 for the one hour drive. I still needed to get my packet as I could not make it the night prior. So a plain bagel for the road, water and coffee...and away we go!
Event warmup:

Pulling into the parking lot, I had the pleasure of seeing KimK on her way! Smiling as usual! I got all checked in, and got into transition and set up. BEAUTIFUL morning to say the least. Breezy though, which was to be a challenge on the bike later on...but hey, better than last year's mist and cold. After chatting with some of the guys in transition, I got my wetsuit and headed down to the beach to get a quick swim in. After chatting with KimK for a bit, dove in and did a few hundred yards just to loosen up. Then the waiting starts. Nice to see KBreitz while waiting and chat a bit! The Oly's start after the Sprinters, then the Elite Oly's and then finally the AGer's. Butterflies as usual for me, but not a big deal. Our group was called into the coral, then TT start.
Swim
  • 25m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first true longer OWS, so I was of the mind set of just feel it out as I go. After jogging a bit in the shallows, I figured it would be easier to dolphin dive, then just swim....good idea! I got started fairly easy, stretching it out a bit and trying to establish a nice cadence. Out to the first buoy, to the left, to the right, and straight away. To my amazement, I was swimming straight, as I figured the waves would push a bit. My sighting was spot on, so I got comfortable really quick. So a nice 6 stroke cadence followed by a sight stroke (for the most part). I knew I was pacing well, I felt strong, but really had very little idea on time, as I'm not into comparing pool times to OWS. One minor issue though. Swim cap colors: Some were yellow, which were easily mistaken for the end bouy. So...turned the end bouy and headed back. The wind was assisting a bit at this point, and into the beach we went. I looked at my watch and saw a great time...so off to a good start.
What would you do differently?:

Time to upgrade the goggle situation. Two years may be too long, and there is a moderate fogging issue. Otherwise, no changes, perhaps consider backing down a bit on longer races.
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

A typical vacation transition for me...nothing new. This race calls for a longer run from water to T1, so I knew the time would be long. Outside of my waterbottle top coming loose, thus dumping in my bike shoe, really can't complain.

Continue to work on my transition set up, and practice practice practice. Not a podium guy, so I'm not going to lose sleep on this.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 52s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

As usual, Elkhart's bike course kicked my butt. I swear, the imported new hills. All and all, I know my biking is going the right direction, but I'm still a bit disappointed with the overall time. The hills just seem to wipe me out half way up them. The corners are a concern as well, as I seem to have to slow down so much, then hopefully be geared right to accelerate coming out of them. I just don't feel comfortable at this point. BUT...the general flats, minor inclines and declines felt great, aero felt good, same with the drops. One of the hills while ascending, a biker about 5 lengths ahead of me struggled and fell...still clipped in. With a group coming up on my left, I had one option...unclip and jump off. But, now that more or less left me one option..walk the rest of the hill. Whatcha gonna do. Otherwise fought the wind the rest of the way and made it back. Thank you aerobottle for a successful trip! I'm not sure why people don't use these...talk about convenient sipping. Hmm, I wonder if a nasty bloody in there would be a good idea?!?

Work on cornering and hills
Transition 2
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Nothing special here....EXCEPT.... for my less than graceful trip/fall coming out of the transition area, by the path and water table where a carpet was placed over the ledge of the path. So....yeah.....it was graceful to say the least...total yard sale.
Run
  • 1h 09m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

And yet again Elkhart's hills crush me. You know, I really thought my running had improved, and I guess it has overall, but I was doubting myself for the first three miles. The first mile is flat, then some lollipops there after. I discovered immediately I need to focus on bricks more, as the first three miles were a struggle to get my legs under me. Once I hit about 3.5, yeah, I was settling in and actually finished in a nice cadence, which is what I was hoping to feel throughout. Fun course given the location, but tough with the multiple hills. I do enjoy the final 1.5 mile though as it's essentially downhill to flat all the way in, so you can really 'bring it home'.

Need more brick w/o's
Post race
Warm down:

The finish was uneventful, as I crossed the finish line, and actually helped the volunteers get gatorade containers lined up as they were reloading. Hey...I was there and they needed a hand, what can I say. I grabbed some water and heading to transition to pack up my things and head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure there was anything limiting me, outside of overall fitness. I enjoyed the course, and I almost consider this course a game of golf. 'I hate the game, but can't wait for that next great shot'.

Event comments:

I won't be back next year, as I'm taking you off in preparation of what I hope to be my ultimate goal...IMOO. Well, at least that's the plan for now. Thanks Elkhart for another donkey whoopin'! Gotta love it though!

Last updated: 2012-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 0/315
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Body
Course: The course is a fairly standard, out to the first buoy, a bit left, the a bit right and down and back. Wind blowing from right to left on the way out, a bit angled.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:52 | 27.96 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: I guess you could call it a stick and loop course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:56 | 06.21 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-06-10 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed