Columbia Triathlon Association
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 48m 34s
Overall Rank = 169/1900?
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/???
Pre-race routine:

Standard up in the morning, big bowl of oatmeal, banana, coffee, sunblock. Got to the race site 1:30 before my wave start. Plenty of time to get ready, relax, get set up.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam about 200 yards just to get my shoulders loosened up.
Swim
  • 34m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is about as good as I can swim this. I felt great. I am not fast but I am making progress. This si 5 minutes faster than my last HIM swim but that was on a completely different course. Hard to really compare but this sure felt good for me.

Swam perfectly straight without sighting at all pretty much. Every time I did sight I was just in a perfect line aloung the buoys. Eventually I just stopped looking because I was going so straight. Weird.

Breathing was fine. Never felt like too much effort. I just kept within myself and swam a nice race. My only complaint would be that I did not ever really find someone to draft off of well so I mostly swam this whole thing without much help.
What would you do differently?:

Find someone to draft off of
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Need to take the plunge and leave the shoes on the bike.

Decided to wear socks. Added maybe 10 seconds.

Otherwise OK with this T1. It did not feel this long so I am wondering where the timer started and ended.

Leave the shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting clipped in to start but otherwise it went well. I just need to commit to leaving the shoes clipped in. I do this at home but have been leery of doing it in a race situation.

I had my best triathlon ride ever. Got up to power and just kept going. I passed a lot of people and got passed but a few. Speed was anywhere from 21-26 MPH during the ride with most of the time being between 22-23. It was very flat and the roads were in really nice shape. I certainly got passed by less than usual. I usually feel like I am not pushing hard enough on the bike but in this race I really felt like I got to the right effort level and then did a good job of keeping it there. I may have been going a little too hard at times. I did feel a little bloated a couple times so I would back off about 10 watts or so until I felt a little better and then pick it back up.

I took two bottles of Infinit and two bottles of Gatorade. I had four gels in a gel flask but as I said I was feeling a little bloated on the ride so I only took about two gels. I also went through three bottles of water. Most of it was just dumped over my head and body but I did drink some as well.

So, here is the kicker. At mile 12 of the ride a woman crashed her bike in front of me. Bad! She knocked herself unconscious, clearly fractured her jaw and just generally messed herslf up. by the time I got there there were several people already there. One person was holding her C-spine neutral. She was breathing and had a pulse. I had passed a motorcycle helping someone about a 1/2 mile earlier so I rode back and flagged them down. They came up and called 911. At that point it seemed like everything was under control. The guy holding her c-spine was calm and willing to stay. I checked to make sure everyone was OK and then got back on the bike. I wish I would not have had to stop but I am not sure I would feel OK about myself if I didn't. I am not sure how long this took up but I am guessing 3-6 minutes and it added about 0.6 miles to my ride.

Not have the lady crash in front of me. Otherwise very happy with this ride. I would have been under 2:30 for the 56 miles without the stop and that was my goal so I will call this successful
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

took off my timex watch and started to run out of T2 and realized I never grabbed the Garmin. Had to backtrack and grab it so I would have an idea of my pace.

Not forget the Garmin
Run
  • 1h 36m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is just a flat run with no shade. No real hills. I would love to have the aid stations come a little more frequently. They were really about every 1.75-2 miles. I would have liked a little more access to ice.

From the start of the run I could tell I had been closer to the edge of my performance limit on the bike. Usually I have taken it easy enough on the bike that I am able to turn in a really nice run. The bike, combined with the heat made this run a lesson in will power. My legs would just not turn over as fast as I wanted. I "felt" like I was going fast but the Garmin did not agree at all. I walked a couple aid stations to get in some water and ice but otherwise just kept chugging.

I passed almost 200 people on the run. I was passed by four people. I guuss that is an ok ratio. I really wanted to run sub 1:30 to finish this but just did not have it in my legs today.

As I was running toward the finish line there was a guy about 100 yards ahead of me. I accelerated to catch up and pass him but my legs cramped as I did. I was able to go by him but the fact that my legs cramped with even this nominal acceleration showed how close I was to falling apart and ending up walking. This actually made me feel better about the run. Without that cramp-up at the end I might have been questioning my effort on the run. Instead, I am convinced I gave what I had today on the course.

Run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Met up with my wife. Went in the water--where my calves immediately cramped up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did what I could today. Training, training, training.

Event comments:

Great race. Loved it. Well run at a great venue. I would come back for sure. I think it is hot every year.

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 103/???
Overall: 627/1900?
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Wetsuit
Course: Rectangle in Choptank River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:33:39 | 56 miles | 21.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/???
Overall: 362/1900?
Wind: Some
Course: Flat. Smooth roads. Very nice course. Mild breezes/wind. No shade.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:36:02 | 13.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/???
Overall: 169/1900?
Performance: Average
Course: Flat. No shade. A lot of long straightaways that are somewhat demoralizing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 12:40 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2012-06-11 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4255630

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Jason-Smoking fast time! Hats off to you for helping the woman that crashed. Really strong across the board.  Keep it up!

Randy

2012-06-11 3:08 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Very nice race.  Good on ya for stopping.  The ambulance was just leaving by the time I came through there.
2012-06-11 3:14 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Good for you for stopping to help -- putting that above your own race, despite all the hard work you've done in training shows class. 
2012-06-11 7:02 PM

User image

Expert

Great race and thanks for helping that lady out.  Man I came up on that crash after it happened and it was madness.  There were about 10-15 people there and it was total confusion.  I saw the woman laying there.  I hope she's OK.  I almost hit the possum in the road when passing through.  Scary Stuff.

Contrats on a great race.

2012-06-11 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Nice race and props to you for helping out with the woman who crashed. I'd think your sense of guilt for maybe not stopping would have been pretty big. Even though it was detrimental to your time it was the right thing to do.

Edited by natethomas2000 2012-06-11 7:53 PM

2012-06-11 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
I must have been 5' - 8' behind you and saw that she was well attended to by the EMTs. Way to race with honor! 
2012-06-11 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Great race Jason.  You absolutely did the right thing by stopping.

2012-06-11 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Nice fast race. And you're an honorable man.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed