General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike...getting a used one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-11 1:34 PM

Subject: Tri bike...getting a used one?
Riding a good roadie now and have a line on late model Cervelo P2...I ride a Cannondale CAAD10-4 size 54 and it fits me very well.  Do I, should I, have some kind of professional fit before I go try to buy are used bike like this?  Is there anywhere to go on-line and do measurements and it tells me what kind and size might fit me best?  If that sounds just plain crazy, I'll just pass and do a professional fitting.  I do want the bike to last...but I'd like to get a decent deal on another bike...and this one is knocking on my door...ahhh!

2012-06-11 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4255780

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Tri bike...getting a used one?
2012-06-11 3:55 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ

competitive cyclist has one:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

2012-06-11 4:22 PM

How reliable are the outputs?  Are they close enough to pick a bike and frame size and then fine tune with bars and seats later? 

2012-06-12 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4256250

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Nhmountainman - 2012-06-11 5:22 PM

How reliable are the outputs?  Are they close enough to pick a bike and frame size and then fine tune with bars and seats later? 

Not reliable at all, but better than just a guess. It does take in consideration body measurements (although it is lacking discrepancies in for example leg length...), but only some flexibility and core strength (not enough data to really be useful), but it's sorely lacking some extremely important data such as goals/aspirations, distances riding/racing, type of terrain, experience as a rider, current/past injuries/issues, etc.

You're buying a tri bike to be faster (I assume... you could of course buy it to look cool, then just skip all I'm writing...), and since the rider accounts for the vast majority of the drag, get a bike fit first, then buy the bike that fits you the best. The benefit of a tri bike is really the position it allows the rider to be placed in, while still be able to generate power and be comfortable. This is why an experienced bike fitter can make such a big difference... The compromise of aerodynamics, power (efficiency) and comfort, all with distances, terrain, injuries, etc. take into account to make the best possible solution for YOU. The aerodynamics of the frame is only second to all that...
2012-06-12 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran

A bike fit is the way to go, but see if there's a way to hold the bike until you can get it done.

The benefit of getting the fit far outweighs getting a bike that isn't going to be comfortable.

Having said that, Cervelo does have one of the more universal geometries and there's always a market for them if it winds up not working.

I completely understand where you are - I was in the same place about 9 months ago and I was starting from no bike at all.

Let us know what you decide and good luck,

twomarks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike...getting a used one? Rss Feed