85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 31s
Overall Rank = 653/1494
Age Group = 31-32
Age Group Rank = 89/197
Pre-race routine:

Sunscreen. Lots.

Ate a banana and drank a big Gatorade, plus Gatorade chews. (The blue ones - good stuff.) Tried to eat a Luna bar but it was just too much for my stomach to handle. I knew it was going to be hot, so I drank more gatorade than usual and only a sip of coffee vs. a cup.
Swim
  • 16m 22s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

I feel pretty good about the swim. Though the time doesn't show it (22 secs off best Naperville swim time), I had a good strategy for swimming straight (stay close to the ropes, breathe facing the ropes) and my sighting was good. I turned VERY close to the buoys vs. way around them, definite improvement. I got stuck behind slow swimmers in the beginning and could not get around them, but other that that my swim felt strong. I'm happy with this performance.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. This was a really strong effort for me.
Transition 1
  • 05m 19s
Comments:

The course was a little wonky inside transition. I was in one of the racks farthest from the bike out, and they had it set so we did loop after loop until we got to the bike out. But since we're set up by age group, there's not much more I could have done about that.
Bike
  • 50m 16s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I could definitely tell that I was at the end of a build period. My legs did not have any giddy-up on the bike. I didn't realize what a difference recovery makes on your pace, but it clearly does. I could feel the fatigue throughout the day.

This wasn't a "race" race for me, it was a training day, so I had no recovery time built in. I think I can probably go faster after a taper/rest week.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Again with the bike in/bike out placement. Took kind of a while to get to my rack.
Run
  • 30m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I cannot believe my pace was under 10 minute/miles. It was SO SO SO hot, I felt like I was running 11:30 miles and I was struggling to keep my heart rate down/manageable the entire way. Stuffing ice in the back and front of my bra majorly helped. I did wonder what would happen if my chest got frostbite, but that thought quickly faded when I realized how fast the ice was melting. Once it was gone, I had some problems breathing towards the last mile due to the heat, but did not have to use my inhaler.

Tough to say. This was about average pace for me, despite being horribly hot. So, I guess it was pretty good. I'm thrilled I brought my hand bottle with gatorade with me during the run. I needed the hydration.
Post race
Warm down:

ICE! Cold towels! Ice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, and the fact that I was still technically in a build week with no taper.

Event comments:

It was my third time doing this race, and I still absolutely love it. Even though it was a last minute decision, I'm really happy I decided to race.

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:22 | 820 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/197
Overall: 0/1494
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Laps inside a converted quarry. Wade-in start with entire wave at once.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:16 | 14.2 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: I thought this was a 13 mile course? The auto populate on here (from BT) gave it 14.1 miles. That's odd.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:54 | 03.11 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat, not shaded, loop. HOT. Thankfully the organizers had ice along the way and wet towels. I seriously would not have made it without them. This course was different from how I'd done it in 2009 and 2010 - I kind of prefer the out-and-back approach because you get to interact with a lot more runners along the way and cheer each other on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-11 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: SheROX Naperville Triathlon

2012-06-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4255847

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: SheROX Naperville Triathlon

Seems like you had a good strategy for dealing with the heat. The run on that road without the shade was pretty brutal!

Oh, PS, it is a 14.2 mile course. It's a 22.8k

2012-06-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4257630

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: SheROX Naperville Triathlon
doxie - 2012-06-12 10:58 AM

Oh, PS, it is a 14.2 mile course. It's a 22.8k

Well in that case, my bike time was right on what it's been for this race Thanks!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SheROX Naperville Triathlon Rss Feed