Kiwanis Club of Douglas County
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 35s
Overall Rank = 2/152
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I met up with Derek, and we rode together over to the race site. We had gotten there so early they were not even set up yet. It was at this point that we realized there was a split tranisiton, so we brainstormed the best way to get everything up without a lot back & forth.

Event warmup:

The only warm up I had was riding down to the lake, which maybe was a mile.
Swim
  • 03m 10s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time is a guess, since I did not do a time check but I know 3rd out was in the range of 3:20-3:30.

This year they did waves because they had 153 people racing. I was in wave one. We got a count down of ready, set, go to start us off. I hit the water swinging for the fence starting on the outside, and was quickly out front. I could already see Justin Tucker pulling away already, so I gave it 50 meters before I started to converge over to the buoy line. Right before I got to the turn-around buoy I saw Derek on my left side, shoulder to shoulder and he was hanging tough. Make the 180 turn, and dropped the hammer to the boat ramp. At this point was in second, and ended up being second of the water.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I hammerd this swim since it was so short.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Exited via the boat ramp, and took off through the grass field dodging bikes. This race is hardcore, no racks, just find a spot to transition at. Derek, Scott, and I found a wooden-something to lean the bikes up against which worked. Dropped goggles/cap, and grabbed bike. I was on top of Justin as I mounted, but had major issues getting my feet in the shoes. I took me two or three trys before I finally got them in.

Not sure what the issue was getting my feet in my shoes.
Bike
  • 25m 30s
  • 9.2 miles
  • 21.65 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was having issues getting my feet in, Justin was just pulling away. Finally got set, and started to push the pace. I knew this was going to be a short one, so I hammered from the gate. Only problem was that my legs were still dead from racing the day before. Still, I made due with what they were giving me.

After I got up to speed Justin held that distance. He was not coming back to me, nor was he getting away. I had two out and backs to check the distance on everyone behind me, and to my surprise they were a good ways back. I think a little bit further the second time, so I was putting distance on them. Dani has started one or two waves back, and she was already up near the chase pack.

Course was what you expect, flats, rollers, and a one climb.

Got back to the park, and had my feet out. T2 was at the top of a hill and the dismount area was on the corner. This made for an interesting dismount.

Racing TTP Blalock Lakes the day before zapped my legs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Got to the top of the hill which had killed any speed, and did my best to dismount. Went seemless, but felt odd from the normal coming in hot flying dismount. Quickly found my shoes. Again, no racks so you have to make due. I looked up and saw a tree, but it was too far away to be really quick so I just rolled my bike into a pill of leaves in front of me. Ah, why not?

Shoes one, race belt, and out door.

To my surprise there was a good sized crowd right there, and a guy on the mega-phone called out 2nd OA as I took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was up and down the entire time. Nothing killer, but not super easy either. I was running this course blind, since there were not any maps to take a look at. No worries, just follow the course which you could not get lost on. At the two turns they had someone there directing you which was nice.

The trail run was different. Lots of shade, and nothing to look at by trees and the path which was cool. I just hammered away thinking this was an out and back, wrong. At the top end you go down this very steep hill and back up the other side, and I remember thinking that was going to be a bit*h going back the other way. About that time, I realized that I had circled back around to where I had turned and the water table so I was not an out and back. Started back home, and had one more .15 mile out and back finger which I saw Justin had about a minute lead. Not enough time to catch him, and no one was catching me so I put it in cruise control. Cool part was as I passed Justin he reached out to give me five. I guess he also realized I was not going to catch him, and I had been chasing him all day. Great sportsmanship.

Finish the out and back, and cruised to the finish.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Filled out my finish card, grabbed some water and went back out on the course to cheer everyone else on. Perhaps a mile of jogging back and forth.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Racing the day before. Still, good output on dead legs.

Event comments:

I gave this race a 5 after letting the shock of split transitions settle down. One you figure out a plan to handle that, the race was great even if it had a trail run. Apparently, this race keeps getting bigger and bigger with it topping out at 153 racers this year. The volunteers were great, it was actually pretty organized, and awards started right when they needed to. Of course, if this race blows up and gets bigger they will need to put some more orgainization to the set up, but at less than 200 people it is perfect. Laid back feel, great group of racers, etc. Plus, it ever hurts to get a 2nd OA, 1st AG finish.

Last updated: 2012-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:10 | 200 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/152
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Narrow triangle, four buoys out, three buoys back. Exit at the boat ramp.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:25:30 | 9.2 miles | 21.65 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: "T" shaped course that ended at a different spot from where we started.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:00 | 03.11 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Course: Paved for .25 then trails the rest of it, with the final .25 paved again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes