General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-07-28 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4260733

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
I was in your boat about two months ago. I'm 6'2" and was 245 at that point.. I couldn't do 50m without gasping for air. I've been swimming since three times a week and can now do 2000m without stopping. I found the key was finding a good steady rhythm, and not trying to burn myself out like I'm racing phelps in the 100. I'm not setting any speed records mind you at this low steady pace, but I've found a speed that I can control my breathing at. Hoping to start working on building the speed soon.Just stick with it and you will improve.Cheers

2012-07-28 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4335148

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
lacofdfireman - 2012-07-28 1:26 AM
RedCorvette - 2012-07-27 4:43 AM

lacofdfireman - 2012-07-26 8:46 PM Another question I have is I would like to try a local Sprint Tri that is coming up in 6 weeks.  From what everyone tells me the wetsuit will help me float and some say you can swim easier in it.  Should I sign up or wait until the last minute to sign up depending on how my swimming has progressed?  I know I could breast stroke or backstroke if I had to but not sure I should even attempt it.  Not worried about the bike or run portion as I have done many Centuries and a few marathons.  So should I sign up and try or wait?

You start a thread about how you can't swim more than 100M and then talk about doing a race in 6 weeks? 

Not to be too harsh, but if the race is more than 100M, then you might be in trouble.  A wetsuit is just a crutch and isn't going to make you a better swimmer.

Why don't you ask your coach's opinion?

Mark

I agree with you 100%.  I will wait until the very last minute to decide but may be watching this on from the sidelines.  The Pumpkinman in Las Vegas is in October I believe or maybe November so if I don't make the local one I will shoot for Pumpkinman and reevaluate at that point.  I have had a few good days swimming though the last few days.  I have really tired to slow down my stroke and swim like alot of people have suggested here and I think I may be figuring this out a little bit.  I am hoping to be in the pool 4-5 days a wee for the next few weeks and am hoping for that moment where everything just clicks...

Sounds like a good plan.  Keep at it and it will 'click' at some point.  Good luck to you.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  

of 3