General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-13 9:07 PM

Subject: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
I am just starting to learn to swim the correct way and am taking lessons from an instructor whom supposedly knows what he's doing but I am getting frustrated.  I have had 3 lessons so far at $40 per hour and he hasn't got me swimming on my stomach yet we are just mainly working on side body balance etc.  Besides the 3 lessons I have probably been in the pool maybe a have dozen more times maybe a few more but barely if that.  I keep watching youtube videos etc to help me with technique etc but feel like I am swimming with a boat anchor.  I can literally only swim like 100m and I have to take a 30 second to a minute break before going any further.  At first I just blamed it on my size at 6'4 240 lbs but one day I watched a 300plus lb guy in the lane next to me swim for like an hour non stop and looked effortless.   I feel like I just got hit by a train after 100m.  Really sucks cause I can run a marathon, bike 100 miles but can't even swim 100m.  Is this typical or am I one of those cases where swimming just isn't going to be my thing?  I'm hoping that it's just inexperience and that I will get better over time.  I can tell you now though it's really frustrating..

2012-06-13 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4260733

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?

Swimming can be frustrating like that.  Did this instructor observe your stroke for a while before trying to suggest these changes?  If he/she is any good they did observations and are suggesting drills based on the weaknesses they see.  3 lessons is not huge....and the fee is the going rate in my area as well.  If you want to pay less you would have to be willing to do group lessons and then you don't get as much specific advice for the flaws in your own stroke. 

Size is not always the indicator of swimming and looking good.  Some people have a natural affinity to the swim and others have had lessons or swam competitively since they were old enough to toddle into peewee lessons.  Learning proper swim form as adult takes time and patience.

2012-06-13 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
Hate to tell you this, but you are normal... I swam as a kid, took lessons, etc.  But when I first started swimming in the fall, I could only go about 25m without sucking wind and taking a break.  Lots of pool time and master swim and I have dropped 20 seconds per 100m.  I used to get so frustrated, couldn't do the swim workouts in anywhere near the amount of time in the plan.  It just takes time and work.  Bike and run fitness do not really translate into swim fitness (although I have found the reverse).  Technique, technique, technique.  Hang in there and good luck!
2012-06-13 9:26 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

That 100m is hard for you now. Make it easier by moving your threshold.

Go in tomorrow and make it 150m. Then a day or two later make it 200.  Keep adding lengths.  You'll be doing a mile or more in no time.

This is my usual advice, and it assumes you are using proper form.  If  however you are just thrashing and splashing, you will never get further without wearing yourself out.  Technique matters, you can NOT just fight the water.

2012-06-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4260760

Regular
Fishers, IN
Ditto, I was in your boat recently, I just did 300 yards tonight and felt like it could have been more. It is normal, but I know it is frustrating
2012-06-13 10:00 PM

We've all been there.  Was racing duathlons with a resting heart rate of 42 when I decided to get wet and join the tri crowd.  I was sucking air after 50 yards with a HR of 175!  Keep it up - it gets better, and yes you do need the drills.  Good luck!  

2012-06-13 10:02 PM

I know one of my problems has to be consistancy.  I will swim 2 times in a week then not be able to swim for like 10 days.  I commute to work in Los Angeles from Southern Utah so it makes being consistent kinda hard.  If they would stop throwing Overtimes at me I would be able to be more consistent.  lol...  I will keep after it and keep up my lessons.  I have no problem paying $40 per hour for a swim coach.  I think he know what he is doing and I should probably be spending more time on his drills he is trying to teach me than me trying to teach myself how to swim on my stomach.  Thanks for all the advice.  I am going to have one of my kids follow me down a lenght of the pool one of these first days and post it up here for all to make fun of...  lol..
2012-06-13 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

Welcome to the Club, Know that you are NOT alone.. I keep praying that what everyone says is really true and if I keep getting in the water it Will get better eventually but progress is painfully slow. I even worked in another swim day so I am up to 4 times a week now.

I get the big overweight guy, and the really old guy, over in the next lane being the eveready energizer bunny's as well , so I know exactally where you are comming from there.

2012-06-13 10:11 PM

It does get better. 5 years ago I could barely put my head in the water. Now I'm usually top 25% coming out of the water in most tri's.

Here's a few things I remember when I first started.

1. Slow down, just relax with a nice easy stroke.
2. When you are breathing just take a normal breath. When I first started I would take a huge breath when I pushed off the wall, like it was the last breath I would ever take. Just turn your head for a normal inhale and then blow out in the water with a nice consistent exhale, but empty your lungs before the next breath.
3. Slow down, just relax with nice easy stroke. Think about how slow you would go if the pool was 100yds long, 200yds long, 300yds long etc. What if you HAD to swim a mile; you'd go nice and easy and not fight the water.
2012-06-13 10:18 PM

I was in the same boat as you a year ago except I could only do 50m before I was gassed. Now I can go over a mile and feel pretty good afterwards. The previous posts are all great tips, I started by adding 50m each workout and I slowly built my way up that way.

keep working at it and you'll be swimming miles in no time. good luck!

Edited by 3forcarter 2012-06-13 10:19 PM
2012-06-13 10:58 PM

I started swimming "for real" in Feb. and I was in the swim 50 yards and be on the verge of drowning group.    It took some time to click.  You probably are going to be frustrated, even after you read everyone's encouragement.  My STRONG advice.  Just swallow the frustration and work at it as hard as possible.  The more time in the water, and the more training sessions you put in, the more you will progress. Period.  At one point I was doing 60-90 minutes sessions 6 days a week (at the expense of running/cycling)  just out of anger and frustration for not "getting it".  Whatever your schedule allows work with that and it will come eventually, but if you have to option to swim more, do it.  Use all the resources you can: your instructor, these forums, articles, videos, books..etc.  Your hopes that it is inexperience and that it will come in time is right on target.  You will get it.  Good luck.

2012-06-13 11:16 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
lacofdfireman - 2012-06-13 8:07 PM

I am just starting to learn to swim the correct way and am taking lessons from an instructor whom supposedly knows what he's doing but I am getting frustrated.  I have had 3 lessons so far at $40 per hour and he hasn't got me swimming on my stomach yet we are just mainly working on side body balance etc.  Besides the 3 lessons I have probably been in the pool maybe a have dozen more times maybe a few more but barely if that.  I keep watching youtube videos etc to help me with technique etc but feel like I am swimming with a boat anchor.  I can literally only swim like 100m and I have to take a 30 second to a minute break before going any further.  At first I just blamed it on my size at 6'4 240 lbs but one day I watched a 300plus lb guy in the lane next to me swim for like an hour non stop and looked effortless.   I feel like I just got hit by a train after 100m.  Really sucks cause I can run a marathon, bike 100 miles but can't even swim 100m.  Is this typical or am I one of those cases where swimming just isn't going to be my thing?  I'm hoping that it's just inexperience and that I will get better over time.  I can tell you now though it's really frustrating..

This sounds completely normal, both your (perceived) lack of progress and your frustration. it takes time.

Did the instructor give you things to work on between lessons? Was one of them to do 100m repeats (I'm guessing not?)

The side balance drills he's give you are an essential pre-requisite to swimming well. There are some good & not so good ways to do them, and not everyone needs to do these prior to full stroke swimming, but your description of the lessons sounds appropriate.

Be patient, practice the drills and limit your full stroke swimming to 25m at a time, followed by lots of rest. Enough rest that the strokes taht follow are executed to your best ability...when you get tired, stop & take a break and repeat.

Did I say be patient?
2012-06-13 11:46 PM

Adventure bear, 100m repeats were not part of his homework assignments like I had said he hasn't even gone to full stroke swimming with me yet.  I'm the one trying to do the full stroke swimming on my own.  Maybe I need to just realize I am not at this point yet and do what I am paying him to teach me to do.  I'm probably getting ahead of the game I am sure.  I really do appreciate all the advice here.  I am hoping to do my first sprint tri in September and am hoping that I have this somewhat figured out so I can make the swim so I can get to my stronger parts the bike and run.  Thanks again for all the encouragement.  I will be swimming the next 2 days which makes 4 times this week.  Then I leave for work for 9 days...  I think the next 2 days of swimming I will forgo the Full stroke swimming and just do the drills I have been taught thus far.
2012-06-14 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
I was the same way but the main culprit for me was my kick. I kicked a lot and was using a ton of energy. Like my coach said I looked like a motorboat. Once I slowed down and relaxed my kick I started swimming further.
2012-06-14 2:09 PM

Your instructor is wasting your money on the side drills. You can pick that up later. Learn to breathe in whatever manner is comfortable for you right now and work on making it efficient later. What you need to work on first is just learning how to keep your face in the water between breaths (which will help you get that horizontal position you're looking for), not kicking and splashing like a maniac (which will help you conserve energy, use less oxygen and breathe less frequently, and make your fellow pool users happier that they're not swimming through huge wake from your splashing), and having a smooth efficient stroke. As you get better at these things, you'll go further and further until 500 meters seems fairly easy. You'll look back at 25 meters and laugh that it was once difficult. Then you can start working in things like breathing technique. If you're doing a good job with the other stuff, your breathing posture won't slow you down that much unless you're letting your legs drop to the bottom of the pool when breathing.
2012-06-14 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I'll keep it simple...just keep swimming 3x min / week. Add 25m - 50m each week and assuming the coach solves any form issues you'll be at 1500 non- stop before you know it. You'll be surprised one day a couple months from now when without any forethought you just keep swimming...

2012-06-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4261948

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

shepherdsflock - 2012-06-14 3:09 PM Your instructor is wasting your money on the side drills. You can pick that up later. Learn to breathe in whatever manner is comfortable for you right now and work on making it efficient later. What you need to work on first is just learning how to keep your face in the water between breaths (which will help you get that horizontal position you're looking for), not kicking and splashing like a maniac (which will help you conserve energy, use less oxygen and breathe less frequently, and make your fellow pool users happier that they're not swimming through huge wake from your splashing), and having a smooth efficient stroke. As you get better at these things, you'll go further and further until 500 meters seems fairly easy. You'll look back at 25 meters and laugh that it was once difficult. Then you can start working in things like breathing technique. If you're doing a good job with the other stuff, your breathing posture won't slow you down that much unless you're letting your legs drop to the bottom of the pool when breathing.

And, you don't think it makes sense for the OP to continue doing drills to learn good balance and streamlining first to prevent his legs from dropping?

Swimming well is about body position and streamlining first.  After that, other skills are added.  What you're describing is like trying to build a house by starting with the second floor instead of the foundation.

2012-06-14 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4260898

New user

Regina, Saskatchewan

lacofdfireman - 2012-06-14 12:46 AM Adventure bear, 100m repeats were not part of his homework assignments like I had said he hasn't even gone to full stroke swimming with me yet.  I'm the one trying to do the full stroke swimming on my own.  Maybe I need to just realize I am not at this point yet and do what I am paying him to teach me to do.  I'm probably getting ahead of the game I am sure.  I really do appreciate all the advice here.  I am hoping to do my first sprint tri in September and am hoping that I have this somewhat figured out so I can make the swim so I can get to my stronger parts the bike and run.  Thanks again for all the encouragement.  I will be swimming the next 2 days which makes 4 times this week.  Then I leave for work for 9 days...  I think the next 2 days of swimming I will forgo the Full stroke swimming and just do the drills I have been taught thus far.

I'm in the learning to swim by doing drills boat too. Normally what I do, so that I'm not just doing drills the entire time I'm in the pool, is do 25m drill, 25 swim, repeat with different drills and then add one or 2 sets of longer swim lengths at the end. That way it breaks up the drills with some full stroke swimming, and the swims are short enough that I can concentrate/maintain form without getting too tired

2012-06-14 3:48 PM

Not able to read all the previous replies so I'm sure this will be somewhat of a repeat...just keep at it! It will get better. The most I've swam has been once per week since February (when I joined a Masters group). Last night at our OWS it was estimated we swam a strong 3/4 of a mile in some decent wind/choppy water. Never would have dreamt that even a few weeks ago. You will get it!
2012-06-14 4:04 PM

User image

What worked for me was learning to swim as slow as possible.  That's right, make an effort to swim as slow as you possibly can.  What this will do is teach your brain that you will indeed make forward progress (and much faster than you think) without exerting much effort.

Your brain has a natural tendancy to panic when you get tired in the water.  Your brain is saying that in order to prevent drowning, you need to stroke and kick harder.  This tends to create a snowball effect until you're basically thrashing around so bad that you come to the wall completely out of breath.

If you can convince your brain that you're not going to drown, and that simply stroking easy with a minimal kick will get you to where you want to go, then your brain will calm down, and not send messages to your arms and legs to kick it into high gear and wear yourself out.

2012-06-14 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4262162

TriMyBest - 2012-06-14 3:37 PM

And, you don't think it makes sense for the OP to continue doing drills to learn good balance and streamlining first to prevent his legs from dropping?

Swimming well is about body position and streamlining first.  After that, other skills are added.  What you're describing is like trying to build a house by starting with the second floor instead of the foundation.

If breathing is the only time your legs are dropping, no, I don't think it's the best use of time and money. Even then, they'd have to be dropping pretty low to be a huge concern. I've seen people whose legs dangle at nearly a 45 degree angle while breathing that can swim hundreds of meters. If you can't swim 50 yards, you're not even safe in the pool; having good breathing form wouldn't be as high on my priority list as just being able to swim. Plus, if your posture is bad when you're not breathing, that's probably the main culprit behind why it's bad while breathing. Get your body position and stroke right and there's a high likelihood your breathing posture will improve with it. I agree that streamlining is the most important part of swimming, but for the little amount of time you spend breathing, you're better off learning how to streamline the rest of your swimming and then work on streamlining your breathing.

2012-06-14 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4262217

tri808 - 2012-06-14 4:04 PM

What worked for me was learning to swim as slow as possible.  That's right, make an effort to swim as slow as you possibly can.  What this will do is teach your brain that you will indeed make forward progress (and much faster than you think) without exerting much effort.

Your brain has a natural tendancy to panic when you get tired in the water.  Your brain is saying that in order to prevent drowning, you need to stroke and kick harder.  This tends to create a snowball effect until you're basically thrashing around so bad that you come to the wall completely out of breath.

If you can convince your brain that you're not going to drown, and that simply stroking easy with a minimal kick will get you to where you want to go, then your brain will calm down, and not send messages to your arms and legs to kick it into high gear and wear yourself out.

^^^^This, unbelievably this.^^^^

2012-06-14 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4262243

TriCory - 2012-06-14 4:17 PM
tri808 - 2012-06-14 4:04 PM

^^^^This, unbelievably this.^^^^

Absolutely! Get the fundamentals like how to move through the water, then work on complicated stuff.

2012-06-15 10:25 AM

Swimming has been the biggest frustration for me of anything athletic I have done in my life.  In my opinion there is "in shape" and there is "in swimming shape".  Out of the water I am in great shape and am very active in many sports:  snowboarding, basketball, strength training, and golf and would say I am average to above average in all.  Swimming, on the other hand, is a totally different animal.  I've seen people who outside of the pool look like they can't run a mile, bench 100 lbs, hit a golf ball, or run and dribble at the same time yet they get in the pool and swim laps around me all day long.  They are amazing.  

Last weekend the longest continuous distance I had swam in a pool was a 3x25.  Last night I did a 8x25 and probably could've done 10x25.  While I have been particular about getting the right technique, or something that might resemble it, before I push myself I'm now to the point where I have to push myself past my previous limit (trying not to create too many bad habits just to get a certain distance).  It's a matter of confidence and letting go of a fear and the mindset that it's too hard.  Ok, I did a 50 so now let's go for a 75, then 100, then 150, and then 200. The key for me is to set goals that not only push myself but that are also attainable / realistic in the timeframe I'm working with.  

Less than a week ago I was frustrated with only going 3x25.  Today I'm frustrated with only going 8x25.  I'm far from being an expert but I'm confident that if I can get there you will too.  

2012-06-15 11:54 AM

User image

Omaha
Ok since I'm brand new this might not mean much but I literally just learned how to swim. It took me the better part of the last year but what finally worked was when my hubby had me try swimming on my side w/the paddle board thingy once I got use to that he me do it w/out the board. After I got my confidence up I would put my face in the water and rotate to the other side...eventually I was able to breathe out in the water and only bring my head up on the side to breathe in.....before I would just hold my breath and then try to breathe out when I put my head up and never had enough time to get air in...this th reason it took me a year :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  

of 3