General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-06-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4260733

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
There is NOTHING easy about learning to swim as an adult.  It sounds like so many of us have been in the same boat (or wishing for a boat!)  Anyway, I'm certainly no expert but after keeping at it consistently it started to come together.  Baby steps!  Just don't give up; I promise it gets easier.

2012-06-15 12:45 PM

Subject: RE: New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives?
Huge challenge for me too.  I've not been steady with swimming (only practiced the few weeks leading up to my short pool swim triathlons).  At first could barely go 25 yds.  Both races have been short (200 and 300) so I've practiced to those distances.  I just started swimming again a few weeks ago and have been trying to go 2-3 times per week.  Did my first OWS in a lake this week.  It was very difficult the first day.  Today was still difficult but I completed the two lap (approx 400-450 yds) course twice with a short rest between.  I am trying to relax and just swim slow.  Unfortunately I mixed in some "side crawl" type swimming to keep moving forward at times.  Honestly, I think that took more effort than just a relaxing freestyle pace.  I'm going again Sunday and Wednesday in advance of my next tri next Saturday.
2012-06-15 1:35 PM

User image

Hard to add to what has been mentioned except there are videos you can purchase for $30 that provide drills and examples of swimmers doing them correctly so you dont have to spend $40 per lesson to learn what you are learning. Total Immersion - Free Style Made Easy by Terry Laughlin is one of many. If money is not an issue, stick with the lessons and drills. Drills are boring but they are building blocks for good form. I just finished my second Sprint Tri and while I am still a very weak swimmer compared to other Triathletes, I have improved greatly since the first day i tried to swim 25 yds and was gasping for air. The problem is our swimming endurance, assuming you have decent technique and if you dont you will, so stick with it and keep adding to that 100 every week. Also have someone film you once you get comfortable with stroke, to make sure you are actually doing what you feel and think you are doing. That was a big help. The other thing i've noticed is the first few 100 meters are the hardest, just like running and riding once you get passed that first burn its gets easier.

Edited by cantu4of10 2012-06-15 1:37 PM
2012-06-15 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

My 2cents, if you are paying a Coach, then stay off You Tube unless he tells yo to view something.  And if you are going to learn to swim from You Tube then don't hire a Coach.  You just may be trying to learn two different approaches at once. Pick one or the other. 

I swam in a vertical position. It took quite awhile on my own and with TI videos to even get horizontal in the water. And YES 50m was like swimming to the other end of the earth.  Now that I've got my 100 down to 2:19. I am thinking I may be a good enough swimmer to benefit form a Coach. 

Whatever you do, don't give up. It will come.  

2012-06-15 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

It takes years to become a good swimmer. Stick with it. You'll see results season after season.

Our society is conditioned to click on something then get it. Athletic accomplishment doesn't work like that. Give yourself time and take credit for having the courage to start a big, long term project.

Keep swimming. Best of luck.

2012-06-15 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4263310

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
tb1000 - 2012-06-15 9:25 AM

Swimming has been the biggest frustration for me of anything athletic I have done in my life.  In my opinion there is "in shape" and there is "in swimming shape".  Out of the water I am in great shape and am very active in many sports:  snowboarding, basketball, strength training, and golf and would say I am average to above average in all.  Swimming, on the other hand, is a totally different animal.  I've seen people who outside of the pool look like they can't run a mile, bench 100 lbs, hit a golf ball, or run and dribble at the same time yet they get in the pool and swim laps around me all day long.  They are amazing.  

Last weekend the longest continuous distance I had swam in a pool was a 3x25.  Last night I did a 8x25 and probably could've done 10x25.  While I have been particular about getting the right technique, or something that might resemble it, before I push myself I'm now to the point where I have to push myself past my previous limit (trying not to create too many bad habits just to get a certain distance).  It's a matter of confidence and letting go of a fear and the mindset that it's too hard.  Ok, I did a 50 so now let's go for a 75, then 100, then 150, and then 200. The key for me is to set goals that not only push myself but that are also attainable / realistic in the timeframe I'm working with.  

Less than a week ago I was frustrated with only going 3x25.  Today I'm frustrated with only going 8x25.  I'm far from being an expert but I'm confident that if I can get there you will too.  

Try this set instead as an alternate way to build yardage into your form
4x25, 3x50, 2x75, 1x100

2012-06-15 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4262243

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
TriCory - 2012-06-14 4:17 PM
tri808 - 2012-06-14 4:04 PM

What worked for me was learning to swim as slow as possible.  That's right, make an effort to swim as slow as you possibly can.  What this will do is teach your brain that you will indeed make forward progress (and much faster than you think) without exerting much effort.

Your brain has a natural tendancy to panic when you get tired in the water.  Your brain is saying that in order to prevent drowning, you need to stroke and kick harder.  This tends to create a snowball effect until you're basically thrashing around so bad that you come to the wall completely out of breath.

If you can convince your brain that you're not going to drown, and that simply stroking easy with a minimal kick will get you to where you want to go, then your brain will calm down, and not send messages to your arms and legs to kick it into high gear and wear yourself out.

^^^^This, unbelievably this.^^^^

x3

2012-06-15 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I've only been swimming since December (3 times a week) and I was frustrated because I couldn't swim more than a few lengths without blowing up and we were wasting time on drills (so I thought).  Two weeks ago a woman joined our group and I got stuck swimming behind her.  She was slower than I could swim but she had way more stamina than me.

Our lane was crowded so I decided to take it easy and stay where I was behind her.  Next thing I realized I was swimming consistently and my HR was remaining steady and I felt good.  The lengths were adding up and in short order I had swam 750metres.  My previous best was 300metres and I had nothing left at the end.  After my 1st 750m I was sure I could've continued.

For the last two weeks I've been adding more distance and I do get winded but my 45second gaspathons are now just a few seconds.  I lost count of my laps today but I might've hit 1000m - a full kilometre!

Hang in there and slow down (as others have said).  Have fun.

Edited by wenceslasz 2012-06-15 10:00 PM
2012-06-15 10:25 PM

Yo just relax and swim dont concetrate on the distance just relax and slow down.
2012-06-16 2:46 AM
in reply to: #4262217

User image

Master
tri808 - 2012-06-14 8:04 PM

What worked for me was learning to swim as slow as possible.  That's right, make an effort to swim as slow as you possibly can.  What this will do is teach your brain that you will indeed make forward progress (and much faster than you think) without exerting much effort.

Your brain has a natural tendancy to panic when you get tired in the water.  Your brain is saying that in order to prevent drowning, you need to stroke and kick harder.  This tends to create a snowball effect until you're basically thrashing around so bad that you come to the wall completely out of breath.

If you can convince your brain that you're not going to drown, and that simply stroking easy with a minimal kick will get you to where you want to go, then your brain will calm down, and not send messages to your arms and legs to kick it into high gear and wear yourself out.

Yes! This, and what I also do just before I start swimming in the tri is just lay face down in the water with my as body as flat out as possible. Just for as long as I could hold my breath to remind myself I can float. Knowing I can float helps me to slow down, catch my breath, and correct my form when I start losing control.

I notice that when I'm getting tired, my bottom starts to dip lower creating drag. When I realize this, I slow down, push my shoulders down, lift my hips, and focus on keeping my legs long, kicking from the hips. It's easier to move in the water, I notice, when I'm level with the waterline. Less resistance!

So, practice, practice, practice the good form and you'll be swimming confidently soon! I started 8 months ago. I'm still not very swift, but I don't have the same fear I had the first lesson. I could barely make it 1/2 a lap!

The biggest thing for me was just going to practice with the intent to learn. That meant asking "silly" questions with demonstrations, asking for demonstrations from coach in and out of water. When I screw up, I tried, and tried again.

Good luck! Be like a child learning something new at practice. Absorb, practice it. I used to hang out for about a 1/2 an hour after my first few lessons to practice what I learned that day. Ask questions, let your coach know what your desires are!

Edited by Blanda 2012-06-16 3:01 AM
2012-06-16 3:10 AM

Lots of great replies here and words of encouragement and I appreciate all of it. Unfortunately for me I am back at the Fure Dept for the next 9 days so no pool time for me. Reading all this is making me want to get back in the water quick. Thanks again.

2012-06-16 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4264604

User image

Master
St. Louis
I learned to swim in my early forties and it was a struggle. It took me a full 6 months going to the pool 3 times a week until I had the breakthrough and I missed my first tri season due to my slow breakthrough. What helped me was a pull buoy. Once I could swim 200 yards ( and still be gassed) I would use a pull buoy for the next 2 or 3 hundred. It helped me feel what it felt like to swim level in the water and keep swimming. So I would do 200 without then 2-3 hundred with the buoy then 200 without, and keep repeating. One day six months into it, I felt ok after 200 and did 1000 yards straight. Two days later I did a mile. I'm probably an outlier having it take six months to get to that point, but the point is to stick with it and don't quit. If u can do it, anyone can with perseverance. I'm still not fast, but I'm comfortable being in the water for a long time. Stick with it!
2012-06-16 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4262217

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
tri808 - 2012-06-14 4:04 PM

^ true dat. A LOT of swimming is psychological-overcoming fears that are deeply ingrained. Yes, technique is huge - and after you conquer the psychological barriers, it's everything, but so much of time spent in the water in the beginning is really just time that needs to be spent, no way around it. Your brain is learning a new environment, it's not a natural sensation, and it takes a lot of time. All of your instincts are survival based, and this water stuff is a big clusterf**k for the cranium. Hang in there. The gains are small at first, but then it's tidal!

2012-06-17 12:45 AM

I did my first triathlon about 1 1/2 years ago.. I had not set foot in a lap pool for about 10 years before this opportunity arose.. my friend asked me to go in a triathlon with her, only because her mum's company was one of the sponsors..

Luckily I had the advantage of having an aunty who had been into triathlons about 8 years already, and had fallen hard for them. She developed me a training schedule, including running, cycling and swimming.. I couldn't do 50m before I would stop in the pool, so I did as many lengths of 50m as I could, even if I had to breaststroke a little.. then I would do 2 lengths of 100m, and then as many 50m as I could, then increased it up to 400m.

I then went in the triathlon, panicked, and defaulted to breaststroke.. all I could see was swimmers passing me like I was stationary. So I kept working on my swimming, and found that by calming down and stroking slowly, I was doing much better.

I can now swim about 1000m without stopping, as long as I don't panic. I did the same triathlon the following year, same distance, and swam the whole way, but this time, I did the overtaking.

Consistency in training is a big thing too.

2012-06-17 6:13 PM

New user
Stick with it fireman!  When I decided to do my first triathlon 8 years ago, I had completed a dozen marathons and several century rides.  I learned to swim as a kid, so I thought, I'll just start swimming a few times a week--piece of cake!  Well my first swim ended with me laying on the side of the pool gasping for air after one lap of a 50m pool.  I'll never forget the results of my first sprint triathlon.  I finished 35 out of 117 overall, but look at the breakdown.  114 out of 117 in the swim (I think the three behind me were actually dead bodies), 29 of 117 in the bike, and 4 of 117 in the run.  As a swimmer I SUCKED!.  But I stuck with it, and I'm proud to say I am now a MEDIOCRE swimmer .  I now finish right in the middle of the swim pack for most of my triathlons.  I don't ever expect to be the leader out of the water, but take it from me, you can and will improve.
2012-07-26 2:55 AM

Met with my swim coach again this week for lesson #4.  I explained to him my frustration and he had me swim a 50m freestyle for him and he said I was 10 times better than the first day he saw me swim.  that was encouraging to me and I felt like the lesson went well.  He gave me the homework of doing 16x50m with a 10-15 second break between each 50 so I could keep my heart rate up and work on some endurance.  I figured I would be able to be in the pool every day this week and so far I have.  I hate to say it buy I can still only make it like 4x50 with 10-15 second breaks and it's taking me like 30 minutes to to the full 16x50m workout.  I think one of my biggest problems is I can't relax for some reason.  I start out great with my breathing but I notice by about my 5th stroke I'm holding my breath then exhaling and inhaling while on my side.  Any techniques on exhaling or inhaling that I should be doing that I'm missing?  Do you exhale from your mouth and nose or mouth only?  Same with inhale and are you taking in a full breath and exhaling a full breath?  He said my swimming stroke technique is looking good but we haven't worked on breathing technique yet.

2012-07-26 5:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

It takes time and patience to learn to swim, don't expect it to come overnight, three lessons are very few, there are loads of things to learn. Some coaches start with drills for body position others may start with breathing drills, everything is important. 

Don't try to progress based on what you see on youtube, if you have never swum before you really need your coach to instruct you and correct you. If you think the personal coaching is expensive consider a group classes. 

If you want to do extra swim workouts, repeat what you've been told in your lesson if you haven't been given any other drills to do.

BR, Erik

2012-07-26 9:01 AM

User image

Las Vegas
Learning to swim last year was one of the most frustrating and humbling experiences of my life.  I felt like I was a fairly accomplished individual in everything that I did up to that point - until I decided to get into the water!  I had no concept of any part of it and it was difficult every step of the way.  I felt like an idiot having to stop halfway down the lane because I sucked in water - choking and sputtering while 6 year olds go by like little tadpoles.  I've come a LONG way, but I'm nowhere near accomplished enough to give you advice or workout/drill suggestions - but I will say this - stick with it, listen to your coach, and it will get better.  It's a process because there is so much to learn - and to train your body to understand.  Having someone video record me swimming was a revelation.  I could see exactly what I was doing wrong - (even though it was what my coach and my husband were telling me I was doing wrong, I guess I needed to see it for myself!)  Its still helpful to me to do that every now and then, because there are ALWAYS form corrections that can be made.  Keep it up - next year, you'll be helping new swimmers get through these early stages by sharing your experience and how far you've come!
2012-07-26 7:46 PM

Another question I have is I would like to try a local Sprint Tri that is coming up in 6 weeks.  From what everyone tells me the wetsuit will help me float and some say you can swim easier in it.  Should I sign up or wait until the last minute to sign up depending on how my swimming has progressed?  I know I could breast stroke or backstroke if I had to but not sure I should even attempt it.  Not worried about the bike or run portion as I have done many Centuries and a few marathons.  So should I sign up and try or wait?
2012-07-26 11:02 PM
in reply to: #4260814

User image

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia

burhed - 2012-06-13 10:11 PM It does get better. 5 years ago I could barely put my head in the water. Now I'm usually top 25% coming out of the water in most tri's. Here's a few things I remember when I first started. 1. Slow down, just relax with a nice easy stroke. 2. When you are breathing just take a normal breath. When I first started I would take a huge breath when I pushed off the wall, like it was the last breath I would ever take. Just turn your head for a normal inhale and then blow out in the water with a nice consistent exhale, but empty your lungs before the next breath. 3. Slow down, just relax with nice easy stroke. Think about how slow you would go if the pool was 100yds long, 200yds long, 300yds long etc. What if you HAD to swim a mile; you'd go nice and easy and not fight the water.

+1 to this! When I started swimming in 'earnest' last November, I could barely do 25yds w/o taking a break. As I have progressed, I have focused on smaller breaths and fuller expulsion in the water in order to not hyperventilate. As your technique progresses, you will become more efficient and thus burn less energy. I would like to see what I look like swimming - probably look like a drowning man flailing around and ticking off the guy in the next lane! With practice and concentration comes efficiency.

As far as the drills your swim coach is having you do is the basis of a good swim form - buoyancy drills. You could *probably* do this on your own but that is up to you.

Don't lose faith in yourself! You can swim a thousand miles and then on the next 25 yards it will click.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a very good swimmer but am working at getting better.

2012-07-27 4:42 AM

I have similar problems as others in this thread. I am fine with a pull buoy, but without can only manage 150m without stopping. Anybody got any drills / tips for keeping my legs up without the pull buoy? I am working on making my ankles more flexible and keeping them pointed but really have no to the basics as to my legs and kick.

Edited by alfie-gee 2012-07-27 4:48 AM

2012-07-27 5:43 AM
in reply to: #4332898

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

lacofdfireman - 2012-07-26 8:46 PM Another question I have is I would like to try a local Sprint Tri that is coming up in 6 weeks.  From what everyone tells me the wetsuit will help me float and some say you can swim easier in it.  Should I sign up or wait until the last minute to sign up depending on how my swimming has progressed?  I know I could breast stroke or backstroke if I had to but not sure I should even attempt it.  Not worried about the bike or run portion as I have done many Centuries and a few marathons.  So should I sign up and try or wait?

You start a thread about how you can't swim more than 100M and then talk about doing a race in 6 weeks? 

Not to be too harsh, but if the race is more than 100M, then you might be in trouble.  A wetsuit is just a crutch and isn't going to make you a better swimmer.

Why don't you ask your coach's opinion?

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2012-07-27 5:45 AM
2012-07-27 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4332898

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

lacofdfireman - 2012-07-27 2:46 AM Another question I have is I would like to try a local Sprint Tri that is coming up in 6 weeks.  From what everyone tells me the wetsuit will help me float and some say you can swim easier in it.  Should I sign up or wait until the last minute to sign up depending on how my swimming has progressed?  I know I could breast stroke or backstroke if I had to but not sure I should even attempt it.  Not worried about the bike or run portion as I have done many Centuries and a few marathons.  So should I sign up and try or wait?

You can swim any combination of styles as you like, but if you can't swim the distance in the pool, don't think of signing up, there will be other opportunities. A wetsuit is not a floating device. 

BR

2012-07-27 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

When teaching people, regardless of the subject or the audience, I take a minimalist approach. Rule #1 - never try to teach someone more than three things at once (and there is nothing wrong with teaching only one). Set realistic short term goals that will provide for opportunities for success and increasing self confidence in the person you are teaching. This moves them forward, fuels their enthusiasm, and prevents frustration.

People have made some good suggestions, but let me share this with you. I believe that if i can teach someone to breathe comfortably in the water, I can teach them how to swim well. So for you I believe this should be the focus of your time in the water. This will help you relax in the water which is one of the hallmarks of efficient swimming. Frankly at this point I feel you need more time in the water developing this, and less time with an instructor. There are many drills that people use in teaching beginners how to breathe. I'm sure the peson giving you the lessons gave you some, or you can get some from them. The greatest challenge you have is understanding and accepting that you are just starting off, and that good swimmers have taken years/lifetime to get where they are. That will hopefully reduce your frustration.

2012-07-28 12:26 AM
in reply to: #4333187

RedCorvette - 2012-07-27 4:43 AM

lacofdfireman - 2012-07-26 8:46 PM Another question I have is I would like to try a local Sprint Tri that is coming up in 6 weeks.  From what everyone tells me the wetsuit will help me float and some say you can swim easier in it.  Should I sign up or wait until the last minute to sign up depending on how my swimming has progressed?  I know I could breast stroke or backstroke if I had to but not sure I should even attempt it.  Not worried about the bike or run portion as I have done many Centuries and a few marathons.  So should I sign up and try or wait?

You start a thread about how you can't swim more than 100M and then talk about doing a race in 6 weeks? 

Not to be too harsh, but if the race is more than 100M, then you might be in trouble.  A wetsuit is just a crutch and isn't going to make you a better swimmer.

Why don't you ask your coach's opinion?

Mark

I agree with you 100%.  I will wait until the very last minute to decide but may be watching this on from the sidelines.  The Pumpkinman in Las Vegas is in October I believe or maybe November so if I don't make the local one I will shoot for Pumpkinman and reevaluate at that point.  I have had a few good days swimming though the last few days.  I have really tired to slow down my stroke and swim like alot of people have suggested here and I think I may be figuring this out a little bit.  I am hoping to be in the pool 4-5 days a wee for the next few weeks and am hoping for that moment where everything just clicks...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New swimmer frustrated. I can only go 100m and I'm exhausted.. What gives? Rss Feed  

of 3