General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hand held bottles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-15 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: hand held bottles

I just do not like things in my hand when I run.  Thus long runs for me I go with a camelbac.  The other reason is for training runs I can fill it and forget it with no need for refills.  However, I have noticed that many people race with the hand held water bottles.  Is it the chaffing from the packs or just a convience of filling them at aide stations?  curious if I just need to suck it up and learn to like running with the hand held or if it is just the cool thing to do. Thanks for any input.

2012-06-15 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4264185

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: hand held bottles
Do what makes you the most comfortable.

If there are many aid stations or if the race is a bit faster, I will use handhelds (Ultimate Direction). If it's a slower event or there are great distances between stations, I will use a pack.
2012-06-15 6:52 PM

User image

Maryland
How much weight do you want to carry? A camelbac, depending on it size can get heavy and slow you down whether you realize it or not. A liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds. Even your lightest/smallest camelbacis going to weigh-in in around 5 pounds. Like you, I train with a camelbac - 3 liters of fluid and moderate extra training load, but I like to race with a waist belt that holds a bottle in the small of my back on an angle. This gives me the best of both world, free hands, easy access to drink, and easy refill. A bottle makes it easy to swap out differt fluid types depending on my mood or need.
2012-06-15 11:41 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
I am the opposite.  I don't like to run with a pack on my back.  If there are lots of aid station, I will go with one hand bottle.  For less aid station one hand bottle and one waste pack bottle.  I do wear a pack for long training runs.  I do think that handbottles would be quicker to fill, but for most people a few minutes is not a big deal.  Do what you like best!
2012-06-21 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4264562

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

My system...

If I can do the run with one bottle, which for me is in the 6-8 mile range, I go for the hand-held. Didn't used to like them, but I got some freebies at a couple races and kinda started to like the 'freedom' from the hip and back mounted water. You get used to it and I like to think I'm getting a little arm workout too.

Runs that require 2 bottles, often 7-13 miles, I take a running fanny pack with 2 bottles in it. I like having my back unloaded if possible. A fanny pack is a good balance between more cargo capability, and still having a free and open back.

Runs longer than 13 miles that take more water, I have a Nathan backpack I run with. Not really my best preference, but for longer runs, its really the only thing that does the job for me. I have a couple Camelbacks for Mtn biking, but they don't sit right for running, and too heavy. The Nathan works/fits well for me.

Honestly though... I really like having a number of options to go to and not just be locked into one hydration setup.

2012-06-28 2:59 AM

User image

Veteran

I like my hand held so when I trip and fall, it breaks the impact somewhat

I have lazy feet and tend to look around way too much.

2012-06-30 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI

For me, the choice between pack vs. handhelds comes down to two factors: the heat, and the distance between aid stations.  If it's hot and the aids are 3-4 miles apart or less, then carrying handhelds allows me to run shirtless, where my core can stay much cooler and I feel like I can run faster because I'm more comfortable, so that's my preference.  If it's cool out, then I go handhelds because I don't need as much fluid.  

But if it's hot with 5-6 miles between aids, like at my last 50 miler, then I go with a hydration pack until the last 10 miles, where I ditch the pack at my drop bag, ditch the shirt, and run as fast and hard as I can with a handheld.  Unfortunately, I can't see a way around having to wear a shirt under the hydration pack, or you're looking at a painful rash.  

2012-07-01 5:37 PM

I seem to be better at remembering to drink when its in my hands. 

I can go either way, but typically use handheld unless the aid stations are sparse or the temps will be high during the day.  It does suck when you start to trip/slide down a muddy trail and try to grap onto a sapling with a bottle in your hand...

then again it can be used to help break a fall, win some/lose some.

2012-07-05 12:20 PM

User image

San Diego, CA

I've also heard it is easier to monitor your fluid intake with hand bottles than with a pack.  If you are running with a full pack and refill at aid stations, how do you know how much they put in?  Sure you can ask but it seems very subjective.  Also, the hand bottles allow me to carry some kind of sports drink since I don't like to mix that in my pack. 

2012-07-09 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer; it's all personal preference.  I live in Fl and I've never attempted a camel bak because I'm wearing as little as I can and don't want that weight on my back.  Also for my training, I have routes where I can refill from water fountains.  I really despise carrying the handheld and if I'm looping around some area, I stash the handheld as frequently as possible and pick it up on return trips.  But I know my routes and know how frequently I'll encounter water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hand held bottles Rss Feed