General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This a sport for tiny people Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-06-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4265433

Subject: RE: This a sport for tiny people
I'm 6'1", 255# and just completed my initial tri. It was a sprint tri. In beginning and throughout my training, the members of my local club always reminded me to have fun. I haven't met them all, being they're so many and such little time in this sport, but the ones I have met have been nothing but supportive of me. I've even saw a few on the course, who've never met me, give me encouraging words. Look, I know I look like an overstuffed sausage out there, but trust me, no one really cares. For me, this is a sport that is fun, very supportive and it's lead me to a healthier lifestyle. I know I can't beat those guys, but I can certainly try to now beat my prior times. When you don't enjoy yourself doing this sport, it may be time to get out.

2012-06-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4279773

mforcade... I fully agree. Well said. I love being a Clyde also.

Edited by rmeilan 2012-06-30 3:01 PM
2012-07-03 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB

Being a fellow big triathlete I completely agree with the title of this post and yet I disagree. Coming from a football background, my only real reward came from winning and often this was out of my control. I may not even be on the field when the game is decided on way or the other by our defence. If I played like a champ and we lost, who cares. If I played like a chump and we won, all was forgiven.

Triathlon is all about me and what I can do. There is something really comforting about knowing I'll NEVER win a race. I step up to the line every time and that bit of pressure is off. It's simply enough to know that I'm up against such tough odds that just finishing is a pretty cool accomplishment.

So while it's true that this sport is for the tiny folk, we get to have a real cool perspective on it.

Keep on racing.

2012-07-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4271596

User image

Pro

lisac957 - 2012-06-20 11:31 AM There will ALWAYS be someone smaller, fitter, faster, with better equipment, and probably better looking. 
I learned a long time ago to ignore all of that stuff and race my own race - hopefully you can do the same. 

I agree with everything you said except someone possibly better looking than me. Not possible.Wink

2012-07-05 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

I totally agree! 

2012-07-09 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
At 30 yrs, 6'2" 210 lbs I'm a smaller Clydesdale, and I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT BEING A CLYDE! And while this may generally be a sport for those of slight build, I raced a sprint a few weeks ago as a Clyde and I placed third (WOOHOO!) First time I have ever placed in a triathlon. Yet after a careful review of the result, I found out that had I raced in my AG I would have placed first! This may be a one-in-a-thousand circumstance (2nd place overall male was also in my AG and since he pulled for the overall award I would have taken the AG 1st) but it goes to show you, us big guys and gals can be fast too!

2012-07-23 10:12 AM

Charlotte

I think that part of this may simply be the small number of contestants for that race.  My first sprint is coming up in September and I am registered as a Clyde, last year there were over 50 entrants in the clyde category.  I know my size (6.3 and 235lbs.) was an advantage in playing rugby for 31 years, but now I have had to find other advantages in tri.  

I think of it like this, at 6.3 I have one of the longest lines in the water, and length equals aerodynamics in the water, so there is an advantage (helps with a nice suit to keep those extra pounds tucked in and streamlined).  

Biking, my legs are a bit longer than most so I have far greater leverage than most smaller athletes.  They may be able to get up to speed quicker, but I am far more powerful once I get into my cadence, which is very helpful on hilly rides.

Ok .. so running really does stink for me as a Clyde.  It has been particularly hard coming from cleats to trainers and the impacts that come along with road work.  I will continue to look and find a positive for it though... 

And as someone else said .. the look of a little guys face when you go by him is truly priceless.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » This a sport for tiny people Rss Feed  

of 2