General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training w/o Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-18 12:31 AM

Subject: Swim Training w/o Swimming
I'm a merchant mariner getting into triathlons, but unfortunately, due to the nature of my job, I go a month at a time without access to a pool or open water (unless I hop over the side of my ship).  I am able to bike and run at work on stationary equipment but am looking to keep up my fitness for the swim portion.  My schedule has me at home for 28 days and at work for 28 days.  Can anyone offer any training suggestions for maintaining my swim fitness/strength for those 28 days onboard the ship?

2012-06-18 4:59 AM
in reply to: #4266282

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Training w/o Swimming
The only thing I can think of is to get a training band (probably a pretty long and loose one depending on your height) and bring it with you. You can loop it around something about waist height, bend over, and "stroke" like you are in the water. Not sure what else you could really do besides ab and strength work to help with the swimming.
2012-06-18 5:17 AM

Veteran
Push ups and pull ups, perhaps, to keep your upper body strong. I dont really think there is a substitute, just make sure your arms and shoulders are strong.
2012-06-18 5:39 AM

User image

Greenville, SC
Someone told me about a guy training for triathlon on an oil rig.  He had a stationary bike, ran around the helicopter pad and I don't recall what he did for swimming.....but am interested.  I would think there would be certain weight exercises that would help.  I know I am interested in hearing what they are so I can use them when on the road for work.
2012-06-18 6:43 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
bodore16 - 2012-06-18 1:31 AM

I'm a merchant mariner getting into triathlons, but unfortunately, due to the nature of my job, I go a month at a time without access to a pool or open water (unless I hop over the side of my ship).  I am able to bike and run at work on stationary equipment but am looking to keep up my fitness for the swim portion.  My schedule has me at home for 28 days and at work for 28 days.  Can anyone offer any training suggestions for maintaining my swim fitness/strength for those 28 days onboard the ship?

What's wrong with an Oscar drill?

Do upper body work in the gym, particularly shoulders & back/lats. Get hardcore about your core/abs, too.
Triceps work would be good, too - skull crushers/french presses, bar dips, etc.. might be good to go high rep, lower weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eqfs9Vj3n8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37Ye_ADQ30
2012-06-18 6:59 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
You could try StrechCordz. Easy to travel with, and easy to simulate some aspects of swim catch and pull. I've found them useful when I'm on the road ... and when I'm time-crunched and can't find the time to get to the pool. 

2012-06-18 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

Get a set of Dryland Swim Cords, and you can practice simulating your swimming on dry land.  It will strengthen your muscles, and there are lots of exercises where you can wrap them around your ankle and simulate your stroke.  

I got my Finis ones for around $10 on amazon.  I haven't gone a day without them, even when I do get to the pool, they are amazing.  

2012-06-18 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Can you convince them to get a swim bench (I think they are called Versa trainers) for the weight room. When I was swimming in college I had to have surgery and stay out of the water for a while. I would go to practice and do swim bench and dryland. I got super strong and swam PRs shortly after getting back in the pool. I was a sprinter though. There are tons of awesome medicine ball workouts that will rip your core and strengthen your arms.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Training w/o Swimming Rss Feed