Devine
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 8s
Overall Rank = 1323/1946
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 53/81
Pre-race routine:

Work up early in the morning and had my breakfast cookie and some water. I was REALLY nervous before this race, probably because Roy wasn't with me. I had a lot of doubts that I don't think I normally have. Lisa drove me to the U of Utah and dropped me off near the Legacy Bridge. I felt bad that I didn't talk much, but I was really nervous.

As soon as I got there I checked my gear and got in a line for the porta potties. Unfortunately I never did get up there.

The elites were sent off with a lovely rendition of God Bless America at 6:00 a.m. Music was playing and the morning was beautiful. Near me there was a couple wearing tech shirts that said "Groom tonight" and "Bride tonight." That is such a cool way to start a life together!

I gave Roy a quick call and tried not to cry. I so wanted him there and was really REALLY nervous without him. It made no sense since it's not like he runs with me. I think it was just the idea of him being three states away if something happened.

Made my way up to the starting area and found my Clif Pace Group. My goal was a 5 hour marathon. Robin was the leader. She has run 48 marathons! Wow! Chatted a little with the people around me and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

Someone sang Oh Canada and then another woman did one of the worst renditions of our National Anthem I've ever heard! Good LORD! It actually has a melody. Sadly she never found it. (I think she was going for her own mix of it, but it's the National Anthem. Just sing it the way it was written, please.)

At 6:45 the air horn sounded. I crossed the mat about 6:50 and we were OFF!
Run
  • 4h 55m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I run marathons for "fun." Now I know that there aren't very many people who would say that running for nearly five hours would even fall REMOTELY into their definition of fun, but I truly enjoy it. Why? Because it is a marvelous way to get to know a place. There is something so satisfying about completing what, for most people, is the ultimate physical challenge. There are these moments of shared experiences with other runners that are amazing. Furthermore, there are these short term, but important relationships that are built between runners and spectators. I know that sounds corny, but I truly do believe that. The spectators are so very VERY important to those of us on the course. We share a moment...just a brief one, but an important one...as we pass.

There are some people I wish I could thank in person, but I can't...so I'll just do it here.

Thank you Ron, an elderly gentleman who ran at about my pace for the first 22 miles or so. Every time I passed him he called out "Go Tory!" That meant a lot to me.

Thank you to the high school boys and their rock band playing in their front yard.

Thank you to all of the children who gave me a high five on the course!

God bless you if you cared enough to bring out a hose and spray us down!

Thank you to every single person who stood at a crossroads, handed out water and Gatorade, wet us down with sponges, and cheered us on.

Thank you to the elderly Hispanic couple who were sitting on the porch in front of their house cheering and beating a ladel on an aluminum paint liner!

Thank you to the little red haired boy in Liberty Park who stood silently holding a plate of orange slices while his mom video taped him.

Thank you to the five or six bluegrass bands!

Thank you to the mimes! Yes, there were mimes...they were "running". It was hilarious!

Thank you to the people who made our event their event, with yard parties and signs.

Thank you Team in Training! You always support your runners...but not only that, you cheer for everyone!

Thank you Hometown Heroes for raising so much money for charity.

Thank you Lord for the blessing of a healthy body.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmmm...I don't think anything in particular. I was very very careful with hydration, succeed caps, and carb intake. I took walk breaks at almost every mile. I took time to enjoy the race, while still pushing myself.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around the expo and drank some water and ate two baby bananas. As soon as I got my gear bag I ate one of my Reese's Peanut Butter cups. (It is the post-race treat of champions around the world, doncha know.) I found Lisa and got a much needed hug! That was the best part.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back was bothering me most of the race. Nothing critical, but also nothing unexpected. I have degenerative disc disease so it's going to hurt.

Event comments:

This was an outstanding race. If I were planning on repeating a race, I would definitely do SLC again! The people are wonderful. The sites are gorgeous. You can't beat the course support. Seattle needs to take some lessons! Walt Disneyworld is still my favorite, but (don't hate me, Seattle), this is my second favorite. By Far!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:55:08 | 26.2 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/81
Overall: 0/1946
Performance: Good
Course: The course started at the Legacy Bridge on the campus of the University of Utah. The sun was rising above the mountains which were smattered with snow. The temperature at the start was somewhere in the 60s. It was already warm enough that I could tell it was going to be a warm race. I started the first mile with my pace team, but lost them pretty quickly. I figured I'd go ahead and find my pace and they'd catch up with me later. Mile one was filled with doubts...why do I do this? Why did I come without Roy? Was I going to make it? What if the altitude made the race more difficult than it should be? Was I selfish to want to do this foolish "run in every state" thing? I finally gave myself a finger wagging and said "Stop with the negativity. You're here. Now just relax, have a good time, make good decisions, and let everything else go." So I did. By mile two I had a smile planted firmly on my face. We were running through the city and I was enjoying myself. I felt good and strong, but was keeping an eye on my heart rate. I'd noticed the day before that it was higher on my short evening run. I attributed that to the altitude. For about the first five miles it was higher, but I didn't feel any different than normal. Mile five took us through Sugar House Park. As we came around a turn the mountains were reflecting the sun onto a large pond. There were geese and ducks swimming, and it was just gorgeous. I stopped and snapped a picture and just enjoyed the beauty of it. I also downed a Clif Shot. I had decided that I'd be religious about my gels and succeed caps due to the higher altitude and heat on this race. Normally I take them every 6-7 miles, but decided to go with every five. The next five miles took us through some very nice residential areas with a few very very minor hills. Nothing that was a concern at all, being from Seattle! The roses were in bloom everywhere! How do they grow such amazing roses?? There were TONS of spectators out on the course. I don't believe that we passed a single residential block where there weren't people out cheering. Mile 13.1 I was HALFWAY! I crossed the mat and pulled out my cell phone. Roy answered immediately with an anxious voice. I think he might have wondered why I was calling so early. I told him I was having a wonderful time and was still on goal to hit five hours. I ran around the corner and there was a course photographer. I said "We're getting our picture together!" The photographer laughed and said "Put the phone down so I can get a good picture of you!" I hid it behind my back, smiled for the camera, and then finished the conversation. I told Roy I loved him and would call him at the finish line, then stowed my phone. Miles 15-17 took us out onto the Vanwinkle Parkway...now THAT was exciting, not. Scary sight, though. I was doing my walk break at just past the 15 marker and a man was laying on the side of the road. I heard one of the paramedics say "Expedite that, he's not breathing." Oh my Lord. That really brought home just how serious a marathon is. I dedicate each mile to someone I care about. I dedicated the next two to this man. Bless his soul. I did not read about anyone passing on the course, so I'm assuming they revived him and he is fine. I sure hope so. While on the Parkway I noticed some nice rocks (since that was all there was to look at) so I picked up one for my brother-in-law, Bob. He collects rocks from around the country, so now he has a Utah rock! Another diversion was a nice girl I met who was here from Chicago. I chuckled at her declaration that she'd never run such a "hilly" marathon. I guess coming from Chicago, she probably hasn't. Seriously, though. This was NOT a challenging course. Mile 18 took us back towards the city. What a beautiful site to see the town (which is beautiful) with the temple and the capitol building nestled in the foothills. As we ran through the city where were more people cheering us on. LOTS of people were spraying us with hoses and spray bottles. Bless their hearts! By then it was getting HOT! There was a nice breeze, though. The only real "hot" part (I felt) was on the VanWinkle. There wasn't any shade and very few spectators...not really much to look at. Mile 25 brought us right into town. Immediately I started to choke up and found myself unable to breathe. Okay Tory...chill out. Don't get choked up now. You can cry at the finish line. Settle down. Settle down. You don't want to pass out on the side of the road. Marathons are a very emotional experience for me and throughout the race I choke up. A song comes on that reminds me of a dearly departed friend. A child gives me a high five. A particularly gorgeous view greets me. A runner passes me with a declaration of someone they are running for. I think about the blessings in my life. But by far the most emotional time is when I near that finish line. As we came into the finishing area at The Gateway the spectators were THICK! It was amazing! I heard my name called out "Tory Klementsen from Marysville, Washington!" People shouted my name and applauded. Music was blaring. It was all yellow and white and golden and wonderful. I crossed the line crying (as usual), wishing Roy were there, proud of myself for once again proving that I can choose who I am every single day. I searched the crowd for my friend, Lisa. Not finding her I surged on and pulled out my cell phone. I called Roy and told him I finished. He asked how I felt and told him I loved him, I wished he was there. He told me he was proud of me. We talked as I moved through the chute and got my goodie bag, still looking for Lisa. I bid him adieu so I could get some food! After about 15 minutes I gave Lisa a call and she was stuck in traffic. She felt SO bad. I assured her it was fine...it wasn't HER fault that traffic was a nightmare! We made arrangements to meet at the Starbucks at the Gateway. I went and got my gear bag and headed up to meet her!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Salt Lake City Marathon

2006-06-06 7:06 AM
in reply to: #442654

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Salt Lake City Marathon

What a great race report!!!!!!  Good job on your race.  You mentioned running one in each state.  So how many have you done so far?

Diane

2006-06-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: #444474

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Salt Lake City Marathon
This is only my fourth marathon, so I've got QUITE a ways to go. I'm doing Portland in October. :D
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Salt Lake City Marathon Rss Feed