General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 59s
Overall Rank = 36/149
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/22
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel, went potty and packed
Event warmup:

Nothing. Went into the swim a but stressed out b/c of rushing around getting set up and worrying about forgetting something.
Swim
  • 28m 4s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a bad swim once again...I decided to hold off once again even with a great opportunity to draft. I was just concerned with going out too hard and dealing with a poor bike or run.
What would you do differently?:

I think with more race pace bricks my confidence would go up. Right now I'm just accepting of the fact that I can cruise through the swim and make time up during the other two sports.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Ok T1. I got a little stuck clipping my race number belt together. Other than that I was in and out.

I need to start having a sense of urgency in Transition. I think when I start plateauing I'll look into getting my free time from Transition.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 26s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I really had a tough time at the pace I ended up with. Two weeks prior I would have nailed a 23 mph pace but I just couldn't kick up my gear on this day. Not sure why this was. It was a suffer fest just to get what I ended up with. Not too happy with the bike performance on this day. Also, there was a constant head wind all of the way around. A slap in the face really as we had no relief from the wind. Very frustrating but everyone was in the same boat so no one had a real advantage.

Not sure...I'm going to have to figure out what went wrong as far as energy and power output. Until then I'm content with the overall time PR that I ended up with.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

I was really taking it easy...too easy. I was not looking forward to the run after the poor bike I just finished. Once I grabbed everything and almost got to the run exit, I realized that I'd forgotten my water bottle that I run with. After realizing this and standing there contemplating whether it was worth it to go back for it, I decided it was and had to run all the way back to my rack. This probably cost me 15-20 seconds alone...I need to have my situation in check when I'm approaching Transition.

Remember what I need for the run!
Run
  • 45m 40s
  • 6.6 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

After the bike I was not feeling confident at all and it felt really hard to try n run in the heat and humidity. I was feeling very fatigued and didn't want to dig as deep as I needed to in order to have a run I'd be proud of. I felt like I was on my way to a new PR already and I thought all I needed was to hang onto an 8 minute mile to get it. After getting splits on a teammate in front of me I got a reason to pick up the pace. I caught him at mile 2 and almost fell apart during the next 3 miles. I hung in there and kept plugging away. I knew that if I needed to I could dip into the pain cave so I waited my time and went in for the last mile. I ran a 6:50 mile 6 to finish and I'm good with the outcome.

Nothing really. On any given day, you could be without the extra gear you need to keep the pace you want or need. That's ok with me. There's a bigger picture and I'm glad I was there with teammates and racing period.
Post race
Warm down:

6 slices of watermelon and three waters. Stopped to catch my breathe and then go watch for my teammates to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think there's a theory that my re-race fueling the day before may not have been what I needed. I was carbo loading for 3 days prior and this was only an OLY distance race so I'm not sure why I felt sluggish and unable to bring my effort to the level I knew I needed. Time will tell.

Event comments:

Outside of a chintzy goodie back an ugly Race Tee this race was pretty awesome. There was some serious competition that came out for this race and the course itself was laid out for you to go as hard as you could possible go without any external limiters like hills or cornering. Plus the raffle at the end of the race was pretty spectacular with some serious swag being handed out. I would recommend this venue (at Detroit's Belle Isle) to anyone. Just don't expect a Race Tee that you'd grab to wear around.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:04 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 36/149
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Orca Equip
Course: Counter Clockwise Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:26 | 23 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 54/149
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Four loops around the Island!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:45:40 | 06.6 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/22
Overall: 31/149
Performance: Below average
Course: Double loop around the festival area with a two mile out n back portion leading to the second lap/finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-18 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Edited by eddievolly 2012-06-18 10:25 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed