General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in San Francisco Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-21 11:31 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: Running in San Francisco
I will be in San Francisco for a week in July and am hoping to get some running in while I'm there -- all of my runs will be in the 6-10 mile range, I expect. Would love to hear where the locals train. We are staying near Union Square.

2012-06-22 12:40 AM
in reply to: #4273529

Subject: RE: Running in San Francisco

The best running is in GG Park, and from the Marina into the Persidio.  With 6-10 miles to run, you can head over to the Sand Ladder they do in the Alcatraz Tri, or over the GG bridge to Marin.  I'd do each of those once for the experience.

None of these is close to Union Square, so you may want to bus/cab to the Marina.  You can always run from your hotel over to the Embarcadero and run there.  It's not bad, but not epic.

SF is quite cool, especially in the morning.  You may want a light windbreaker.

2012-06-24 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4274717

User image

Master
San Francisco
Trath-L33T - 2012-06-21 10:40 PM

The best running is in GG Park, and from the Marina into the Persidio.  With 6-10 miles to run, you can head over to the Sand Ladder they do in the Alcatraz Tri, or over the GG bridge to Marin.  I'd do each of those once for the experience.

None of these is close to Union Square, so you may want to bus/cab to the Marina.  You can always run from your hotel over to the Embarcadero and run there.  It's not bad, but not epic.

SF is quite cool, especially in the morning.  You may want a light windbreaker.

Just to add to the above, running the length of Golden Gate Park on JFK from Stanyan to the Great Highway is almost exactly 7 miles round trip.  on Sundays, they close a stretch of the road from cars which is nice.  If you run down and back on Great Highway from JFK down to Sloat, it's almost exactly 5 miles round trip.

If you want to run on the Marina, you can also run from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Bay Bridge (or just beyond to AT&T Park) and back.  I don't remember exactly, but it's about 6 miles one way from GGB to AT&T Park.

2013-06-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
I was in SF a couple of weeks back for a conference and I ran this 13.5 miler:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314641597

I was staying at the Hilton Union Square and I ran down on O'Farrell to Market to Embarcadero and then I pretty much followed the shoreline all the way to the Fort Point at the foot of the GG Bridge and then back. The only sketchy section of the run was near the hotel, but in the early AM looked totally safe. Have fun in SF!
2013-06-12 9:21 AM
in reply to: meggfishy

Head up to the chrissy field and presidio...it never gets old
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in San Francisco Rss Feed