General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
RecPlex
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = /37
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 33/
Pre-race routine:

Was up at 4:30, had 1/2 cup of coffee and 2 slices toast with peanut butter tried to get down a banana but was pretty nervous
Event warmup:

Just a quick walk to transition, and a quick swim
Swim
  • 40h 27m
  • 1750 yards
  • 2h 18m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

my goggles fogged up bad so I had to stop at a lifeguard stand to defog, started swimming and then they started leaking so back to the stand adjusted and all went well, they had much younger groups of men starting after ours and I got ran over by some of them but was able to swim thru it and not panic
What would you do differently?:

Probably not wear a wet suit or maybe sleeveless I was feeling like my arms didn't want to go never had this before
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I haven't figured out the jump on bike with my shoes clipped to my bike so until then......

Move a little quicker out of the swim otherwise felt ok
Bike
  • 1h 20m 11s
  • 21.96 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop felt really good I felt like I was cursing. Then....extremely tight hamstrings and glutes

Not get a bike fit 3 days before a race although My bike felt awesome from my fit, but during my fit was told I had only been using my quads for riding, now I would be using my power, glutes and hams, well I discover that alright I just pushed thru it and hoped I would be able to run
Transition 2
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

As I said my glutes/ hams were in one big knot I was finding it hard to bend over to get my shoes and socks on, I had a few energy blocks, some water and started walking. Got to the exit and ran a bit had to make a stop at the porta potty :) and I was off

I also need to learn how to drink while Iam riding maybe I need to get one of those drink bottle that goes between the aero bars
Run
  • 1h 19m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to push thru the tightness stopped at a water station and they total tightened up was a bit hard to get going after that but I made it 5 miles and then walked about a 1/2 mile then ran to the finish

Keep telling myself I am ok so I wouldn't of walked
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to transition then to the car and stretched as much as I could

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't wear my HR monitor as I get too worried about where it is at, my cadence wasn't working on my bike, the foggy goggles and my glutes and hamstrings

Event comments:

Dispite my issues, I had a good day, my times are starting to come down and I am learning at about what I need to work on to get better.

Last updated: 2012-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
40:27:00 | 1750 yards | 2h 18m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/37
Performance: Below average
I did not
Suit: Xterra
Course: Triangle course not as many life guards as usual.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:11 | 21.96 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Some people called it flat but to me there were rolling hills :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:07 | 06.21 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The course was out on a closed highway and back then a half loop around the lake and back, they had some firefighters with an open hydrant where you could get wet and cool off nice pick me up
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course

2012-06-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4278549

User image

Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course
Way to push through all your issues, JoAnne! Congratulations on lowering your time! I'd highly recommend a hydration system on your bike. I have several but like the one where the straw sits right in my face. It's a constant reminder to hydrate and I can do it hands free. Keep up the good work!
2012-06-25 9:46 AM

User image

NH
This was a great effort.  You rolled with the issues which you encountered which is always the key to a successful day.  It's a little strange to have the faster groups start the swim behind you so good job not getting to freaked out by the swimmers coming by.  And also no sweat on the bike course - I find people always call every course flat!  I just assume most triathletes are either realated to the Schlecks or trying to sound cool!
2012-06-25 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Good job! Enjoy that newly fitted bike.
2012-06-25 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne congrats on the good finish. That is a good time and you had to fight through some adversity during the race. The fact that you improved your time shows that the hard work is paying off and you are improving. Great work.
2012-06-25 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Congrats on finishing a very tough race for you!  It sounds as if you had to struggle with a lot of issues all day and to get through should be a success in itself.  Your courage to continue fighting seems to have payed off with a faster performance setting a new PR.

For the foggy goggles, you might try the shampoo trick I have posted before.  If you don't remember post it in the group forum and I'll remind you.

The rest of the race may have been a subtle reminder to do just as you have already said; "shouldn't get a bike fit 3 days before a race."  I am sure this made the race more difficult for you but never fear, anytime you make a mistake whether in a race or in training it is a learning experience and take note to make the proper corrections in the future.

Congrats again!  You did a fine job working your way to the finish!

2012-06-25 4:52 PM

User image

Bronze member

Sounds like you had a lot of heart and will power to fight through that race! Now here is hoping you will have smooth sailing from here on out as you adjust to your bike fit.

Great job!

2012-06-25 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Nice race, JoAnne!  I'm glad you are seeing some improvement from all of your hard work.  You have shown such great dedication.  I am thoroughly impressed.  Keep it up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed