General Discussion Race Reports! » Bali International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Bali International Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jimbaran Bay,
Indonesia
Bali International Triathlon LLC
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 52s
Overall Rank = 124/162
Age Group = F 30-39
Age Group Rank = 15/28
Pre-race routine:

WARNING/AWAS! THERE HAS BEEN REPEATED SERIOUS DISREGARD FOR ATHLETE SAFETY AND NEEDS ON THIS COURSE IN PRIOR YEARS WHICH HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED AND RESULTED IN NUMEROUS ATHLETES INJURED OR UNABLE TO FINISH THE RACE. TAKE CAUTION IN SIGNING UP FOR THIS RACE UNTIL ORGANISERS HAVE PUBLISHED SPECIFIC AND DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT CORRECTING THESE FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS.

WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS BLOG. You will dream dreams you never thought possible. You will want to do things that upset the rhythms of your life, annoy your wife, and change you forever. Then you'll actually do this race, and it will spoil you for all other races after, and the only thing that can satisfy you is returning to this fantasy race in paradise year after year to have an even more mindblowing experience.

Anyway, that's what happened to me in the last five years of doing this triathlon. :) I even moved from Los Angeles to Bali, and not just anyplace in Bali, but the actual neighborhood of this triathlon so I could train on its hallowed ground!

Well, you've been warned. Read on ... if you dare.

The Bali International Triathlon is once again, far and away with no comparison to any distant second THE BEST TRIATHLON IN THE WORLD. No other triathlon, not even the big-show Ironmans, offers a three-day, red-carpet, free-flow, five-star, uniquely cultural experience for ALL its athletes ... at cut-rate triathlon prices that elsewhere gets you a small local race in a boring setting.

THURSDAY

I haven't unpacked my bike from Ironman Melbourne … on March 25. On June 21, I finally took it in for assembly and repair (under warranty). Note that this means I haven't ridden my bike in three months.

Agus has been working on my bikes since the first Bali Triathlon six times and five years ago.

FRIDAY

Early Morning
: I pull up to the Intercontinental, the staging area for most of this year's events, to attend the first event of the Bali International Triathlon: the group course reconaissance ride. Oh, look! We're official!

The course ride also serves as a dress rehearsal for the hundreds of police and military ensuring event and course safety. The triathlon organizers take security verrrry, verrrrry seriously, and after last year's bike course fiasco, took great pains to ensure the viability and safety of the race course.

If you look in the middle of this shot, you will see that we even have a sniffer/security race puppy!

We even have armed piglets. We are in good hands.

Me and the Bali-based tri piglets Colin, Franck, and Joerg. (That's four different countries right there. This year there were 29 nations represented at the Bali INTERNATIONAL Triathlon and 900 racers in the three events!)

The recon ride takes off! No, this isn't a one-way street ... why do you ask?

Curious onlookers, including a squished baby.

It still is a beautiful and charming course full of local flavor (and what isn't, is at least fast along the Bypass, Bali's main highway). Parts of the bike course are on cobblestone!

In my six goes at the Bali Tri, I had never been on the recon ride. I was missing out! This was a wonderful opportunity to cycle on the streets of Bali, complete with our own police motorcade, sweeper vehicles and SAG wagons, and for new Bali Tri athletes to become familiar with the course, or brand-new-to-tri athletes to become familiar with riding on a race course. To my knowledge, no other triathlon offers an official, staffed course ride beforehand. The ride also allayed my fears and doubts about whether this bike course could truly be adequately secured (my head and ribs still ache sometimes from last year!).

Late Morning: BLESSING OF THE ATHLETES AND BIKES. What other race arranges an elaborate traditional ceremony to give their athletes and equipment that extra lift? Also, piglets in sarongs are HOT (especially in socks and sandals, amirite?).

The offerings are laid out to be blessed by a priest and assistants.

This is a very open non-sectarian ceremony, all of us being from different faiths or no particular faith.

Athletes and bikes gather in a gorgeous tropical garden to be blessed.

Los Angeles based race organizer Robb Strom gives a few welcoming remarks.

I can’t think of a better way for athletes to come into a positive frame of mind or be more open to having a wonderful race experience than these breathtaking ceremonies (well, several months of consistent and focused training would probably help too. I’ll let you know how that goes if it ever happens for me). While the athletes take part in a group meditation/reflection, Bali-style, woven banana-leaf offerings are tied to their bikes and sprinkled with blessing water.

It’s not every day you see an Ironman tattoo or a blue Spinning® sock next to a sacred offering.

The priest leads us in meditation and ceremony, using incense and bells, and we the flower blossoms in our individual little offerings.

Oh hey! I didn’t blow up in smoke or get burned by the holy water; just goes to show that ANYBODY can take part in these lovely rites without fear. The priest now sprinkles us with sacred water to signify the conclusion of the process.

Brennan Lindner (whose name I can spell correctly), the other LA-side race organizer, wraps up with remarks about the rest of the day’s activities, but forgets when and what they are (there really are so many great things happening around this race weekend!) and has to consult the athletes’ guide.

I pick up the beautifully blessed Red Robber, replete with fragrant offerings.

See, if I’d only had all this before Ironman, of course I would have finished! (Oh, and that training thing. Why does it always all come back to that training thing?)

Afternoon: As I approach the water for the guided group course swim (there’s one on Friday and another Saturday), what should I spy with my little eyes but a poor piglet desperately needing assistance getting sunblock on hard-to-reach places. Being the great giver I am, I offered help right away.

Caption: Post-Race Treat #1

Hot piglets in (perhaps too-bright) Speedos. Need I say more to promote the swim?

Brennan’s (yes, this is his pace booty I joyfully draft each year in the group swim) is lime green with skulls and pink hearts on it. Need I say more, at all, about this? I think not.

The group heads in to the sparkling waters. Of COURSE I am giving you hot female piglets in bikinis, too! Do I ever disappoint? These two both killed their age groups, so it definitely pays to go on the swim.

That’s the Four Seasons resort, one of the race sponsors and venues, built up across yonder hillside.

Evening: Onto the first feast! It’s the annual opening Cocktail Reception—free-flow drinks and canapes at a stunning Four Seasons villa. Right this way, please.

They also have two screens showing video clips of the race and events from previous years.

What joy reuniting with old friends, making new ones, and tackling any waiter-piglet carrying those irresistible curry-chicken-satay skewers. (Oh, it’s a real cocktail party. Waiter piglets in uniform walk around offering you drinks and nibbles. Of food.)

Brennan and Konrad, who came back again to be our superstar announcer, and who looks even better running down the street with his clothes off. Yes, I have pics and video of that. No, it’s not what it sounds like. Really, it’s not.

Capping the evening off with a fresh-seafood feast on the beach amongst old and new friends, and being serenaded by the usual band (who can sing ANYTHING in ANY language. I kid you not. Just ask).

SATURDAY

Morning: Group Run! (To be clear, I did not go on the group run. What, you think I’m going to get up early THREE mornings in a row? Are you kidding me?)

If anyone is wondering (or even noticed) why there’s a Spanish and Polish flag flying in an Indonesian village … Indonesia, I would even say above Brazil, is the most FOOTBALL-CRAZY nation on Earth. It’s the European Championships right now, and there are giant flags of the European nations still in the running flying everywhere. I’ve never seen that number and size of Indonesian flags flying, on any occasion!

After another group swim (which I did not attend) came an all-new event and to me, what may become the most important event at the Bali International Triathlon besides the races: ocean education and beach cleanup by Ecozine, “Asia’s premiere online environmental community.” Additionally (and you know how important this is to me) the Ecozine athletes were definitely the best-looking AND some of the fastest racers there!

It was fun and interactive, with games and giveaways, and truly the most worthwhile and community-enriching part of the triathlon events. I’m no eco-idiot, but I was still flabbergasted that, on one of the cleanest beaches in Bali, in front of a five-star resort that’s cleaned 12-15 times A DAY, a small group of volunteers collected and documented THOUSANDS of pieces of trash, which filled the bags you see below! The documentation becomes part of a global database with statistics used to inform and effect government policy, a lasting contribution of our afternoon’s efforts.

It’s just an incredibly gorgeous view around these parts.

Oh, and the beach, ocean, and sky are lovely too :)

And now … off to registration! Yeah … I didn’t register until the last minute. You see … I’ve been having this little gigantic huge massive ongoing problem with typhoid fever … that went hemorrhagic … which is why I’ve done ZERO since IM Melbourne in March. I wasn’t feeling that great in the days before the tri, so I waited to register. Saturday afternoon I wasn’t feeling terrible either, so I figured I would do the Sprint distance and treat it as a nice walk-through introduction back into training. But shhhhh … don’t tell the race directors. They’re going to stop letting me do this race and make me manage the transition area instead (No, God! PLEASE, NO! ANYTHING BUT THAT! I’d rather race with dengue fever like in 2010! Or finish it with busted ribs, a concussion and road rash like last year. What can I say? I really love this race, and I’m a certified psycho.)

Last year, there were serious problems, mix-ups, and extensive delays with registration/packet pickup/chip check … this year, even being a last-minute walk-in, it went smooth as silk. Thank you, Race Poo-Bahs! So to my surprise and delight, I had a couple hours to kill before the mandatory pre-race briefing and (most importantly) Banquet.

The goodie bags were AWESOME. Really nice, high-quality white tech shirt without the logos being obnoxiously big (just about the nicest tech shirt I own, and hands-down the best race shirt I've ever gotten), huge fluffy thick towel (so good it doubles as a yoga mat!), and another free cotton shirt with triathlon and Herbalife logos on it. Even the 5K participants received this super race packet!

Robb (helmet?! ha ha, you've become a real Balinese now) and Brennan off to do important race stuff.

The Baliwistas (Bali Life Guards) breakin' out the boards. This is an extremely well-staffed course, swim bike run and post-race area.

No detail too small: the race hired offering-women to place blessings throughout the race sites.

Dear Lord, please bless our transitions, too.

You know it's a great race when one of the sponsors is the leading national beer ... make the most out of T1 and T2! Stop and have a refreshing adult beverage!

This really is an outstanding transition area. Roomy but not too big to run into/out of, even ground, well-manicured grass. Look closely--it is the Intercontinental's helicopter landing pad. :)

Another outstanding critical detail: the best porta-potties I've ever seen. That's a real toilet in there! With flushing! And choice of butt-shower OR toilet paper! Look, I was not well when I did this race. I got intimate with these toilets. Multiple times. A decent bathroom vastly improves the quality of one's life ... not to mention race ... at such times.

The pre-race banquet is always dressed to impress! Yes, there are uniformed piglets just waiting to whisk away your dishes and refill your water glass.

The tables are beautifully appointed. (I have no idea what that means, but I'm sure they were).

The buffet was as delectable and fine as the decor would indicate, and plenty of choices, even for vegetarians. This is all included in your low race fee!

Event warmup:

OH MY GOD we've finally arrived at race day! I bet you're relieved! Me, too. (It's harder for you and me both to get through this race report than it is to actually do this race). My usual pre-race breakfast is Pop Tarts and coffee with milk/sugar. I am a Pop Tart FANATIC. However, I was not feeling good and could not finish the tarts. Normally, this means someone should call an ambulance for me. However, I had a race to do!

My packing for this race was very minimal. However, I made these important last-minute additions to my bike bag:

Because if the bike course turned out like last year, then I may as well have condoms, cash, and a razor blade to party with! (Okay, really. All three have important and legitimate race uses.)

Hey, it's the balloon boys! Now it really is a party!

I'm glad they were in my row--balloons can definitely annoy other competitors, but for someone who consistently loses her way in transition and on the race course, bright balloons marking my rack are a gift! Yes, I racked right next to these guys!

This year, entering the transition area was very smooth, proceeding through body-marking (SHAME on the line-cutters ... SHAME). Marking racks by age group was also a huge improvement over last year's free-for-all.

My super-simple setup (on the left). Folks, this is what a transition spot should look like. Leave the coolers, spare outfits, portable showers, radio, lunch boxes (YES, I saw all of this there!) at home.

As usual, I was humbled by how many folks personally wished me luck, and I met all kinds of wonderful people before the race itself. I was most impressed by a woman doing what I knew was possible, but just waiting to see as a first--racing covered up and with an Islamic head covering. I often swim in a burkini to ward off jellyfish, but I knew that a burkathlon suit was possible--and she did it! We passed one another and exchanged cheers several times on course. Here's her finishing pic!

And now for the opposite end of the scale ... Budgie Smuggler: Australian for Speedo! Well, that's a lovely sight to start my race on ... I'd like to end my race on that, too ...

Having the race start close to transition makes a huge difference in the ease of logistics for the competitors and is a big improvement over previous years. It also cuts out that nearly-kilometre-long coral-studded-sloping-soft-sand run between swim exit and transition. Hey ... I kinda miss that run ... ;)

Racers were properly corraled behind a starting ribbon and between posts this year, and the events started right on time (no small feat in Bali! NOTHING is timely here!), with competitors rushing into the water to the tune of thrilling, rhythmic Balinese gamelan music.

After the Olympic distance began, I popped a caffeinated gel with some water, got in the ocean to warm up and swam easy until the water didn't feel cold anymore. The way the race is set up, it's very easy to warm up in the water without getting in the way of other competitors.
Swim
  • 15m 9s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

This triathlon was a re-entry into training for me, nothing more, so I just stretched out in the water and swam smooth, played with drafting some people. The races being bigger than ever, it was a pretty crowded and pummeling swim to the first buoy (I suppose a long-measured swim course is actually good then). I pulled over to the side to puke, since I thought it would be rude to do that on my fellow athletes. I have never puked during a race--Puke PR! Yay!

2nd leg to the buoy was still bunched up, all the way to the buoy, but finally got some clear water on the 3rd leg coming back in to the swim finish. Always a tough leg because of the tide pulling strongly back out and a diagonal cross-current against you and the sun shining into your eyes from above the land horizon. However, these giant sighting balloons at the swim exit were AWESOME for navigation.

Ran out of the water, ran easy up to chip swipe. For those considering this race, keep in mind that it's wrist chips, and volunteers will grab your arm and pass it over the timing boxes (below) to ensure a clean swipe and that your info registers (it's kind of like being an item at a checkout register, complete with beep).

What would you do differently?:

It's a bad idea to race sick, or recently very sick, but clearly that's not something I'm going to do differently anytime soon.
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

This was a smokin' fast transition, 64/162 and that includes a 400m zigzag run up from the beach to the transition area. And I did run it all, albeit wickedly slowly.

Running to begin the bike leg:

I'd like to get triathlon cycling shoes for even easier on/off. At least I remembered to rack my bike the correct way to get out on the side I'm on without having to duck under the racks or go all the way around to the other side!
Bike
  • 46m 39s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.99 mile/hr
Comments:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU, O Race Grand Poo-Bahs! Andreas most of all, Robb, Brennan ... from the bottom of my heart, just where those three now-healed ribs are, to the top of my head, which got banged last year, I THANK YOU!!!

Look, Ma, no motorcycles surrounding me like in previous years' race pics!

I cannot express in words what a tremendous pleasure it was to zoom down a (mostly) closed Bypass without fear of getting splattered from here to Sanur. The most worrisome part was merely my fellow racers, which IS the worst worry one should have during a race (and more on preventive measures at the end of this report).

The policing was outstanding. The course was CLEAR. The traffic was successfully held at bay (and I saw how bad the traffic was, and how difficult it was to do that). This is a top-notch course at its fast points, which is most of it. I like the little quirks of the Nusa Dua loop, like the cobblestones, speed bumps, and fountain roundabouts. Makes it feel like going through a village on the Tour de France ;). That part also keeps the course pretty, which I was afraid it would lose, and on the Bypass you're going so fast it doesn't matter.

Kudos. This has got to be one of the most challenging courses anywhere to secure, and you did it. This also ensures my continuing participation and continuous streak (not streaking--yet) in the Bali Triathlon. The Bike Course WAS my bellwether for this event, and you pulled it off with flying colors (as in red ... my red bike ... flying down the Bypass).

I had a very happy bike leg. I didn't have to scream obscenities in any language or pick pieces of myself or my equipment off the Bypass. I kept it in the big ring the whole time, but a smooth/high cadence and just enjoyed the ride. It was safe enough that I actually managed to puke off my bike without having to pull over.

I am still so humbled and delighted that many bystanders and even the folks stopped in traffic were cheering us on!

For those reading (STILL?! don't you work or something?), this is still a fairly technical bike course, but very doable and impossible to get lost on (and I can get lost on anything).

This year, nothing. Just in it for the pleasure cruise.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Another smokin' fast transition, which includes running with the bike along the long side of the transition area. Not sure what my placing was, but it was also high.

I'm ready to try Yankz or speed laces again. It takes awhile to tie my shoes. At least I remembered to untie them before the race.
Run
  • 41m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't personally mind the run course. I thought it was an adventure. Then again, I was just doing the race for fun, I'm used to dodging Indonesian traffic, and I thought of it more as an obstacle course, kind of like those Mud Runs where you get covered in dirt (in this case from vehicle exhaust) and have to wait your turn to do the obstacles. I also know that the RDs had a very good plan in place for a doable if not enjoyable run course and that several factors well beyond their control, including the (well-meaning but misjudging) police ultimately turned this course into a chaotic, diesel-sucking fiasco. If running behind a Third-World belching bus while having motorcycles nipping at your heels and their rearview mirrors clipping your hands at the sides is your idea of a good time, then this year's run course was just for you!

I did run (in my ugly death-zombie-shuffle style) the entire course, which I have never done in any triathlon.

I just really like this pic because ... in how many triathlons would you be running by a stack of brassieres? And how appropriate is that for me?

Again, the locals were extremely supportive, even ones stuck in traffic, and we were a major disruption to their day (if an interesting spectacle). At one point we even ran through people going to ceremony at a temple along the race course, beautifully dressed in traditional clothes and chattering gaily across us. And that's when I heard the inevitable ... "YANG GEMUK" and giggles ... you know, I think I missed this part last year because of the concussion, but now it has so fondly returned to me. I pointed my finger in the air in victory and yelled in reply, "WEH, YANG GEMUK BISA!" Yes, THE FAT ONE CAN DO IT! Now that got me a HUGE round of cheers!

So this is really what the run was like. Sucking truck fumes and dodging motorcycles. Again, I'm kind of used to it, but in a race?

Also, if anyone so much as tripped, they'd be in grave danger of getting pulverized by a motorcycle. I did a LOT of screaming obscenities, hand waving, yelling STOP, and traffic management ... all while running. I saw some really ugly near misses with traffic and other competitors (remember that ALL athletes, all 900 from Olympic/Sprint/5K combined, were using the same course and trying to run in both directions in a tiny little lane we squeezed out for ourselves in the middle of the traffic. As in, on the center line. It was a bad, bad scene and it has got to change next year, no matter what you have to do to or for the police, neighborhood leadership, etc. to make it happen.

ANYWAY ... most of the run there was a lady in a red shirt 10-25m ahead of me, but I just couldn't catch up to her. Rounding the final corner to the 50m or so stretch to the finish at the Intercontinental (hmmm ... kinda miss that soft, steep-sloping-sand finish ... j/k), I don't know what got into me, but I busted a sprint move and blew by her into the finish so fast that Konrad barely had time to sputter out my name and the chip swipe folks were screaming, waving their hands and jumping up and down for me to SLOW DOWN!!! (Are you kidding? I finally just get started in this race, and you're telling me to slow down?) I hit the finish line, got chip-swiped, and promptly keeled over. Good thing my sister's BFF Simone, who just finished her FIRST TRIATHLON!!! CONGRATULATIONS SIM was there to catch me. She draped my arm over her shoulders and dragged me around for a bit 'til I could walk on my own.
Post race
Warm down:

Bumped into Colin Wilby, my dearfriendtrainingbuddy and first-time TRIATHLETE! (Heh, I'm still pretty red from the final sprint effort).

I'd left my transition bag just outside the area, at the feet of some guys with guns, and hey, it was still there! (So were they). Grabbed a clean shirt, hat, sunscreen and a little cash.

Oh hey! It's famous Olympian Richard Sam Bera (who? ;)) and I, expressing how we felt about our races!

And on to the finishers' buffet! Why do you think I do this race?

I can't say why, but having hot coffee and tea afterward is just super. The fresh-squeezed juices are amazing, too.

And fresh-baked pastries!

OMG BEST PIGLET MASSAGE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD EVER ... 30 minutes of perfect recovery handling by such an outstanding piglet that I couldn't help but lick his arm at one point. He just laughed. Come on, I'd fallen in love! If I'd had the strength I would have kidnapped him and taken him home with me. I was a complete noodle afterward.

Actually a pretty decent expo this year, especially considering there isn't a lot of tri/endurance stuff here in Indonesia.

Wine. Cold Stone Creamery. Domino's Pizza. TYR. Yeah.

The overall and age group awards are unbelievable. Overalls include stuff like 4 nights, 5 days at Bali's swankiest resorts. AG wins will get you free gear, WINE :), and free dinners at really nice area restaurants. A wonderful Darwin lady gave me all her winnings because she was leaving that afternoon anyway--God bless her! I'm so excited, it's like I won! And all winners get gorgeous, hand-designed ceramic trophies from Jenggala, which makes the most beautiful ceramics on an island full of great art. I'm telling you, next year I'm gunning for a podium spot.

OVERALL.

You heard me, and I called it. Hey, Andreas (the Indonesian-side RD and another beloved friend) said he'd actually DO this tri next year (he's never done one!) and I said if he did, I'd actually be trained up and healthy for it. A deal is a deal.

So here is my future: :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You'd think at some point I would get sick of writing "serious tropical fever" and "no training" at the end of my race reports ...

I did hold back and just do this race at a moderate pace (don't believe me? Look at my results, ha ha ha) to start training again. For me, to hold back takes enormous effort, so 5 stars for the mental effort. Physical effort is 3, right in the middle where it should be.

I did run every single part of this race that was runnable, which is a first for me in any race at all, ever. Smokin' bike PR on this course (which I attribute to race improvements and no crashes), smokin' overall PR too.

Apparently, almost-half-IM-trained + typhoid > 2 crashes + untrained > somewhat trained + dengue.

Look! It's the customary post-race dirty sports-bra pic! Lot of sand this year; wonder where it came from?

Event comments:

But wait! We haven't even gotten to the after-parties (yes, that's plural) yet! Dang. We have come a long way from Brennan bringing ice-cream bars and beer to the race directors' villa while we sat around and traded war stories in a small circle. But that same spirit is still there ... just in a five-star setting! This is the Ayana resort, uphill from the race site.

Me and Andreas on the first sunset venue lawn, clifftop.

Live music, free-flow booze, juices, and soft drinks, more five-star canapes, race highlights (from that morning! yes!) playing on a big screen ... and because I'm not gorked on morphine from a bad crash, I get to enjoy and remember it all!

Backdrop of the first-party venue:

It's a long cable-car ride down off the cliffs to the next venue (brave ones can attempt the 400 stairs down):

Afterparty at Ayana's superfly Rock Bar, first cocktail free!

Me, Brennan, and the Ecozine beach cleanup team from Hong Kong:

After wicked partying, war stories, rumors, kisses, and some really interesting alcohol-fueled scenes, we went to a late night beach dinner.

Barry from Hong Kong with squid tentacles:

Smokin' piglet with smokin' barbecued squid tentacles--how do you top that for a finale?

The Bali International Triathlon even made front and center on the Bali Daily the next day!

Finally, a huge shout out to the title sponsor, BizNet, Indonesia's top high-speed telecommunications provider, and to the hundreds of absolutely amazing volunteers and accompanying racer-sherpas without whom this race simply could not happen. Every logistical and volunteer aspect of this race was outstanding--course staffing, direction, and guidance; nutrition; cheering; huge smiles; post-race medals and water.

Now, every race has room for improvement, and as usual, the race directors widely solicit post-race input and they'll be getting my recommendations novel separately. But the positives so vastly outweigh the negatives that in my books, they can't be compared. The only "HAS TO" change is ensuring that the run course management takes place as planned.

What a race. Such a stupendously superlative race, no words or even all these pretty images can do it justice. There is no race like this.

Last updated: 2012-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:09 | 500 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 38/162
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman 1-piece trisuit
Course: FIVE HUNDRED METRES, MY ASS! When the fastest dude comes in at 11:30, is it 500m? Brennan promised me a laser-measured swim course next year. I wait with baited breath and roll my eyeballs. Triangular, with two big yellow buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:39 | 12.43 miles | 15.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 113/162
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back along a closed (CLOSED!!! YAY!!!) side of the Bypass with a small loop in the Nusa Dua resorts on the tip.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:01 | 03.11 miles | 13m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 153/162
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back along Jl. Uluwatu, the main road off the Bypass, with a loop through village/beach/market. That part is very scenic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-28 11:35 PM
in reply to: #4285416

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Bali International Triathlon - Sprint Course
Great race report (as always)--It really makes me want to do that race....oh if only I could afford to travel! Maybe one of these years! Anyway, great job, in spite of the the nasty tummy stuff.

2012-06-29 12:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very temping to next year make the 4 hr flight over. Been to to Bali/Kuta/Jimbarean Bay before so would be different to race there.
2012-06-29 12:53 AM
in reply to: #4286062

User image

Melon Presser

Matthews - 2012-06-29 1:20 PM Very temping to next year make the 4 hr flight over. Been to to Bali/Kuta/Jimbarean Bay before so would be different to race there.

DOOOO EEEEET! Jimbaran Bay is also very clean and beautiful this time of year! Hope to see you next year and let me know if there's anything I can do to assist the decision and implementation

2012-06-29 1:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Yeehaw!!!  Great RR your Yanti-hotness.  So so pleased to see you looking so healthy and radiant again, even if you're still having off-days. 

What an awesome time you've had - makes me want to come back over to Bali, race this, and give you another smacking man-hug!! 

If you can smoke the course like you just did in the state of health you're in, with no training, podium for sure next year!!!

Yummmmmm!

2012-06-29 1:50 AM
in reply to: #4286082

User image

Melon Presser
nigelw - 2012-06-29 2:34 PM

Yeehaw!!!  Great RR your Yanti-hotness.  So so pleased to see you looking so healthy and radiant again, even if you're still having off-days. 

What an awesome time you've had - makes me want to come back over to Bali, race this, and give you another smacking man-hug!! 

If you can smoke the course like you just did in the state of health you're in, with no training, podium for sure next year!!!

Yummmmmm!

Oh oh, now you've gone and said it you HAVE TO DO IT

And you know what kind of completely resolve-melting poutysadface I can pull if I don't get my way you don't want to be subject to that ...

2012-06-29 2:50 AM
in reply to: #4286082

User image

Elite
nigelw - 2012-06-29 1:34 AM

Yummmmmm!

Nigel we gotta do this race!  not sure how I'll wangle yet another weekend away sans family but hey I'll give it a shot!

2012-06-29 4:22 AM
in reply to: #4286097

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-06-29 3:50 PM

Yummmmmm!

Nigel we gotta do this race!  not sure how I'll wangle yet another weekend away sans family but hey I'll give it a shot!

1. Best behavior, then

2. Bribery, then

3. Blackmail

Always works for me ... GOT TO have my two Melbourne superpiglets on board!!!

2012-06-29 4:45 AM
in reply to: #4286108

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
TriAya - 2012-06-29 8:22 PM
jobaxas - 2012-06-29 3:50 PM

Yummmmmm!

1. Best behavior, then

2. Bribery, then

3. Blackmail

Always works for me ... GOT TO have my two Melbourne superpiglets on board!!!

Let me start work on the bribery then - always works best with my wife!

2012-06-29 8:13 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I read, but I couldn't continue to read all of the report since the pictures distracted me - they are worth more than a thousand words!!  ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!

WTH was with that swim course marking??  I mean, come on!  I first saw the time and thought "Sh1t, I can swim a little faster than Yanti!!", and then you had to burst my bubble.

This would be such a thrill to participate in!

Thank you for sharing!! *HUGS*

2012-06-29 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wait... there was a race report?  I totally got distracted by the pics - holy hawtness of piglets!!!

Great job with the race - and even if you were only slightly dying (I'm sure your fellow racers appreciated you moving over to the side to toss yer cookies) you'll always be my Yantilicious!

Huge, massive {{{TANGEMELON PRESSES}}} for you!   

2012-06-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4286537

User image

Melon Presser
blueyedbikergirl - 2012-06-29 10:49 PM

Wait... there was a race report?  I totally got distracted by the pics - holy hawtness of piglets!!!

Great job with the race - and even if you were only slightly dying (I'm sure your fellow racers appreciated you moving over to the side to toss yer cookies) you'll always be my Yantilicious!

Huge, massive {{{TANGEMELON PRESSES}}} for you!   

{{{TANGEMELONS SNUGGLES}}} we will do a race together yet ONE DAY, I am sure of it! We must!

Yeah, sometimes I forget there's a race in the middle of all that

2012-06-29 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Great RR Yanti.  The pictures reinforce that you do live in paradise (minus the various tropical plagues).  Congratulations on finishing strong, and avoiding the cars and/or motorcycles on the run.  
2012-06-29 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Wow, You've almost convinced me to come do the Bali Tri! 

Could have been the bikini shots, or the sports bra.  Maybe the scenery.  No must have been the food.

Awesome report.

Take care girl and get yourself well.

2012-06-29 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4287163

User image

Melon Presser
jashac - 2012-06-30 2:19 AM

Wow, You've almost convinced me to come do the Bali Tri! 

Could have been the bikini shots, or the sports bra.  Maybe the scenery.  No must have been the food.

Awesome report.

Take care girl and get yourself well.

Shall I sweeten the pot with offers of {MELON PRESSES}?

So when are you coming over?

2012-06-29 3:02 PM

User image

England
Come to expect nothing less than remarkable/bonkers from you and you haven't let me down. Bali's a bit of a trip for me but if i ever win the lottery................
2012-06-30 8:59 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
awesomeness

2012-06-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4288033

User image

Melon Presser

Techdiver - 2012-06-30 9:59 PM awesomeness

And that's just landlubber stuff ... you MUST come see the UNDERWATER world we have here

2012-06-30 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Congrads on another epic race!
2012-06-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4285750

User image

Champion
Taser-World
TriAya - 2012-06-28 6:41 PM

TriRx - 2012-06-29 6:33 AM

-A puking PR - I am SO proud!!

-I'd like to end my race on a Budgie too!!!

-I am not smart: how is a condom a race necessity?!

and the most importantly: Can I stay with you next year when I do this tri - because it is AWESOME!!! and YOU are AWESOME! and Bali is awesome!!

And dude - you impress - you're sick as buck, and you show up and Rock it!!  (now, go to bed.)

Stud.  That's what you are!!

Re-read the bolded parts carefully.

Thank you, Tracy!

LOL! I was wondering the same thing. "Condom?" I wondered, "How is that a race necessity? For the swim? The bike? The run? Hm....?" And now I know. LOL

CONGRATULATIONS on your race!

Not-so-much congratulations on your Puking PR. Although, I'm sure the fishies enjoyed the Pop Tarts. (Everyone likes Pop Tarts, right? Including fishies.)

AWESOME RR, as usual. And AWESOME pictures, as usual. I *heart* your RR's.

FANTASTIC job, especially since you're still dealing with the effects being sick.

So. Did you get to use that condom? You never did say. (Hm, some people go bungie-jumping. But you go Budgie-jumping. LOL)

2012-06-30 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4288169

User image

Melon Presser
D001 - 2012-07-01 12:48 AM

and the most importantly: Can I stay with you next year when I do this tri - because it is AWESOME!!! and YOU are AWESOME! and Bali is awesome!!

And dude - you impress - you're sick as buck, and you show up and Rock it!!  (now, go to bed.)

Thank you, Tracy!

LOL! I was wondering the same thing. "Condom?" I wondered, "How is that a race necessity? For the swim? The bike? The run? Hm....?" And now I know. LOL CONGRATULATIONS on your race! Not-so-much congratulations on your Puking PR. Although, I'm sure the fishies enjoyed the Pop Tarts. (Everyone likes Pop Tarts, right? Including fishies.) AWESOME RR, as usual. And AWESOME pictures, as usual. I *heart* your RR's. FANTASTIC job, especially since you're still dealing with the effects being sick. So. Did you get to use that condom? You never did say. (Hm, some people go bungie-jumping. But you go Budgie-jumping. LOL)

Innocent

2012-07-01 5:52 AM

New user

Fort Mill
I was aiming for the puke trifecta, but I really did take it easy on the run Thank you!

2012-07-01 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4288901

User image

Melon Presser

bicelaw - 2012-07-01 6:52 PM I was aiming for the puke trifecta, but I really did take it easy on the run Thank you!

Heh, thank YOU! And welcome to BT!

2012-07-01 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4288363

User image

Champion
Taser-World
TriAya - 2012-06-30 3:41 PM

Thank you, Tracy!

LOL! I was wondering the same thing. "Condom?" I wondered, "How is that a race necessity? For the swim? The bike? The run? Hm....?" And now I know. LOL CONGRATULATIONS on your race! Not-so-much congratulations on your Puking PR. Although, I'm sure the fishies enjoyed the Pop Tarts. (Everyone likes Pop Tarts, right? Including fishies.) AWESOME RR, as usual. And AWESOME pictures, as usual. I *heart* your RR's. FANTASTIC job, especially since you're still dealing with the effects being sick. So. Did you get to use that condom? You never did say. (Hm, some people go bungie-jumping. But you go Budgie-jumping. LOL)

Innocent

Hm. Is that ^^^ an answer? Hm......

LOL

Edited by D001 2012-07-01 10:57 AM
2012-07-01 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4289092

User image

Melon Presser
D001 - 2012-07-01 11:56 PM
TriAya - 2012-06-30 3:41 PM

Thank you, Tracy!

Innocent

Hm. Is that ^^^ an answer? Hm...... LOL

You know how good a tyre patch a condom wrapper makes?

Okay, probably not. But there's a great piece of information for ya.

Edited by TriAya 2012-07-01 11:14 AM
2012-07-01 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
So very nice! Pictures were great! Glad you could race. Shocked you were able to do it with all the illness issues you have been dealing with.

I liked the pictures of the hot men. YUMMY!

Also very glad to hear the bike course was SAFE this year! YES! Too bad the run course can't be void of cars too! Maybe in 10 years?

Congrats lady! Looks like a fun and amazing weekend of fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bali International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  

of 3