General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cyclist palsy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-01 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: cyclist palsy?
So I did the longest ride I've done (2 hours) yesterday and felt great. When I got back I noticed my hand (mainly pinkie finger) was numb. Didn't think anything of it. Well woke up today and it's still numb. Nothing major just annoying. Researching and found out it's probably cyclist palsy. Does anyone here have any experiences with it? How long should I expect it to last? Is it safe to still ride? FWIW I'm still waiting on my CeeGees to get here and spent to much of my ride up which I think lead to this and I don't normally ride with my gloves since switching bikes but for some reason did today

Edited by rjrankin83 2012-07-01 8:56 AM

2012-07-01 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4288990

User image

Subject: RE: cyclist palsy?

It shouldn't last more than a day or so, when cycling you need to change your hand position every so often. This will keep from point loading the nerves in your palms and causing palsy. Gloves do help to some extent but not much.

Little changes in how you hold onto the bars help too, Remember to keep a casual grip. Rotate your hands slightly while your in the hood or drop position. If your hands start to feel pressure(go numb) in the current position move them. I don't keep my hands in the same spot more than 15 min.

Good LuckLaughing

2012-07-01 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4288990

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: cyclist palsy?
Recovery time can vary from a few days to several Weeks depending on the severity. I got it on my left hand about 6 Weeks ago and not only was my ring and pinky finger numb I had no strength in either finger. The numbness went away in a few days but the strength has been very slow coming back. Its been about 6 Weeks and im back to maybe 85% strength.From what I read riding a lot can delay the recovery. Personally I havent slowed down training but have been trying to stay off the horns with that hand.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cyclist palsy? Rss Feed