United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 33s
Overall Rank = 816/944
Age Group = 25-30
Age Group Rank = 121/131
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am to drive to race site. had a banana, bagel, and water.
Event warmup:

stretching and jumping around. not much room to warm up. it was alittle chilly in the shade that early. race started at 7:30. we were bussed out to the start around 6:45. so we had about 40 minutes to wait on a two lane road that wasn't really blocked off.
Run
  • 2h 40m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

First 4 miles were awesome. felt like 20 minutes. next 4 were ok, getting a little winded. mile 8 was all incline. totally took my breath away. amazing difference what being back in Dallas for a month makes. The altitude killed me. I was right on track, actually before my goal time the first 1/2 of the race. I was so excited... then came the inclines. Had to walk most of mile 8. But it was ok. Its was so beautiful. no wonder it was rated top 10 in the country. So Walker and I got to enjoy the view! Yeah, Walker did it with me. What a great friend! she hasn't been training and was worried. But with my training and lack of altitide lungs, and her living at altitude, we were pretty well matched. She actually felt better than me i think. So much for training. We walked probably about 2 miles overall and we stopped for a potty break, which had a line. With all that, I was only 10 minutes shy of my goal! I think if I had run closer to sea level, I would have rocked my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Run at sea level or live in the area. In my defense, I was living at 8,200' when I signed up for the race. An unexpected move back to Dallas was not part of the plan.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, water, sandwhich

What limited your ability to perform faster:

altitude

Event comments:

Great race. I wish I was better prepared for it. Unfortunately, I don't think I could have done too much different except train at the same altitute as the race course. I'm disappointed in my rankings, but I guess it's expected.

Last updated: 2006-06-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:40:33 | 13.1 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 121/131
Overall: 816/944
Performance: Below average
Heart Rate monitor was a little tempermental. didn't always work. but the average read 167
Course: bussed out and ran in. Locally known as Moon Hill at an elevation of 6,990' and finishes in downtown Steamboat Springs 6,728 ft. it was damn high.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-05 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas! & Ann Arbor, MI!
Subject: Steamboat Springs half marathon

2006-06-06 7:10 AM
in reply to: #444329

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Steamboat Springs half marathon
Great race under the circumstances with the altitude. My brother lives in Steamboat and I hope to do a race there sometime - I love that area!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steamboat Springs half marathon Rss Feed