RaceMaker Productions
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 37s
Overall Rank = 20/55
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:00 and ate a hard boiled egg, 1 piece of toast, 1 peach and drank a cup of coffee. I talked my training friend (Tiff) into racing this tri with me so I packed up the van and headed to her house.
Event warmup:

I set up transition, went to the bathroom, did a quick ride to check what gear my bike was in, went to bathroom again then headed to the water. Warmed up with a 600, the water felt great but I felt a little off and just prepared myself for the fight ahead. There are a lot of big rocks at the edge of the lake where you exit/enter but the RD put a really nice carpeted ramp there so I practiced swimming right up to the ramp until I touched with my hands, pulled my legs to the ramp then exited. Then I ran back up to transition to turn my Garmin on (I don't wear it during the swim, just leave it on my bike).
Swim
  • 8h 55m
  • 440 yards
  • 2h 01m 35s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Not much, my swimming has been limited by back pain and I am just starting to get to a point where I feel I can build intensity and distance. I did the best I could with what I had!
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Transition felt a little slow to me but 45 seconds is decent and I was the fastest woman so no complaints. We had to wear our race numbers on the bike so that took a little extra time for me to put on. We did not mount our bikes until we exited T1 so that would be added to my bike time.

Not much.
Bike
  • 39m 19s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was by far a PR for me in a race. I had a goal to break out of the teens which I did but I continue to feel I could/should have done better. 21 mph was in my sights. I'm never satisfied.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

No issues here. My running shoes slid on nicely, no socks, already had my race belt on so off I went.

?
Run
  • 29m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This run is a bear. Just tough. I really struggled, wanted to walk, cussed myself for racing at all, wondered why I do this to myself, asked myself why I pay good money to torture myself etc. You get the idea. The only thing that kept me at it was a young 26 year old who was right in front of me for the entire race. She had caught me with the drafting pack on the bike and I stuck with her for the whole run. I kept thinking I could catch her but when I tried to pick up the pace it felt awful - cold chills, weak and could not breath. It made me feel better that the people in front of me looked like they felt as bad as I did. One guy stopped to walk. Tiff reminded me later that she hates trails, said she took one look at her watch and just turned it off so she didn't have to look. I don't think she'll go back with me :). The lady who was second in my age group is a really good runner - she ran 7:40 pace - even she said she wanted to walk. All I can say is I did not walk.

My run training is a struggle my my effort was there. There was not much I could do different - I really fought this out.
Post race
Warm down:

The RD had some absolutely heavenly towels in a bucket with ice. I laid on the ground with the towel over my head.

Last updated: 2012-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
08:55:00 | 440 yards | 2h 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 0/55
Performance:
Suit:
Course: The course was a straight out and back. I set myself to the outside left in the front. The gun went off and I had little to no contact - great! I swam the best I could still leaving myself able to breath! I got a little stuck at the turn around bouy, swam too close to it and the person behind me grabbed hold of my leg but it was nothing major. I swam up the ramp to exit then ran the long, gravel hill to T1. My swim time includes running up the hill to transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:19 | 13 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: This course was a straight out and back with enough rolling hills to make you have to work a little. My bike mount is not pretty so we'll just move on :). I'll just say for the way I mount I had no problems. We started out in the park and had to ride over some gravel, turn left and then we were off on the highway. The roads were smooth and I just wanted to go but my legs were not cooperating. Sometimes my legs just seem to be full of nerves, my quads were just tight and couldn't push like I wanted to. Frustrating. At this point I was kind of alone. As I headed to the turn around I was a little confused. The transition worker was off to the side of the road letting 2 cars go on and I was not exactly sure where my turn around mark was so I slowed down and lost a little time here. As I turned around I saw a large pack of people coming to get me and Tiff was one of them! I hammered down at this point and started to feel much better. I hit some rolling hills and was flying on the downhills, I passed the pack back and hammered the best I could. I was starving and knew that would be very distracting on the run so I gulped down a gel at which point the pack caught me for a second time. I had the gel taped to my frame so this went really smooth, it just takes a second to swallow it! By this point we were a mile or less from the finish, they were taking up the entire lane (6 riders) so I just hung to the back. Good call because when we entered the park and crossed over all of that gravel one guy totally wiped out on the gravel and skidded across the street. I am afraid of gravel due to my awful history of gravel wipe outs so this slowed me WAY down. I had a very careful dismount before entering T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Performance:
Course: Trail run with short steep climbs. The terrain switches between trail, large gravel, dirt path and grass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-02 8:15 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: TriGREENville Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-02 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4290006

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: TriGREENville Sprint Triathlon
Dina congrats again on a great finish. You did a great job on a challenging course and you probably weren't 100% with the achillies. You also did a great job pushing through on the run.
2012-07-02 10:32 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-02 11:11 AM

Expert
Tallahassee

Dina, great race.. I'm impressed, your swim is awesome and 600 warm up would have done me in.  U had an awesome ride and a 9+ mm is not slow at all after the swim and bike.

GREAT job!

2012-07-02 8:09 PM

Master
St. Louis
Great race! Congrats on first in your age group!
2012-07-02 11:52 PM

Veteran
Redding, CA
Excellent race, Dina, I don't know where you are getting the idea that you are slow. Top half of all competitors and first in age group! You are rocking it (even if you don't feel like you are).

2012-07-03 4:56 PM

Elite
far northern CA
Nice race Dina!!!  I love the ice towel idea!  That RD was thinking! Laughing
2012-07-13 8:09 PM

Good job, Dina! Way to bring home a podium spot! I know I've told you before, but the picture that the photographer captured of you with the towel is just awesome! You're quite the athlete and could be the poster child for triathlons.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriGREENville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed