General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 7s
Overall Rank = 400/460
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I always say that I learn something new at every race. It took me a while to figure out what I learned this time. It turns out that I learned that being COMPLETELY prepared the night before really works! For once I don’t have a ridiculous foible to report - like not knowing how to work shoelaces, or getting lost on a half marathon!
Woke up around 4:30 AM. Half cup of cottage cheese, English muffin with jelly, and a Diet Coke. Also sipped water until time to get in the water. GU about 15 minutes before the start.

Event warmup:

Got in and swam maybe 200 meters ten minutes or so before the start. I timed this pretty well, because I was able to get line and not be cold.
Swim
  • 11m 44s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year in this race, I decided that I needed to get to know one of the kayakers because I went so far off course due to my poor sighting before the first turn. This year my sighting was much better, even on the last leg swimming into the sun. It really works to not stand until your fingers touch the bottom. So many around we were stopping in chest deep water and trying to walk in. It’s several yards to the timing mat – I took my time because it was slick and I’m clumsy!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really - I was a little slower than last year, but certainly wasn't gassed at the end. Maybe I'll just say I paced it okay.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

This was a really good time for me. Actually, the best I’ve ever done in T1. I’m trying to have less ‘stuff’ in transition which seems to be helping. I made sure I took an extra second or two to hydrate beyond what I had on the bike.

Keepin' it simple is the way to go!
Bike
  • 37m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I’m definitely not a jump on the bike and get the shoes on kind of guy. I slipped off a couple of times trying to clip in. I think I was pushing too hard to get going that I didn’t do first things first. I’ve ridden my bike a ton over the past year, however not on hills. They were really beating me up in the Park. In case you’re reading this report and do this course some day – no foolin’ – they REALLY mean it’s a sharp 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill about a mile or two into it. There were several bad wrecks this year, including one fast guy who broke his bike in two! My breathing was far faster than I wanted – I’ve read enough reports here on Beginner Triathlete that a Sprint Distance should hurt the entire way, and I was doing my best to honor that. I recently read Chris McCormack’s “I’m Here To Win”. In it he said something I really liked (paraphrasing), “I don’t care what level you are or what distance you’re doing. In EVERY race you will want to quit at some point.” My point came at Mile 4 on the bike which made no sense since it was out of the Park and on the relatively flat road. I was glad that I had read and remembered that because I was able to push through it. The rest of the ride went okay – just slowly as you can tell by my time! Safely back into transition while I internally yelled at myself for not practicing hills!

More riding, and riding, and riding......
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

This was also not shockingly fast, but good for me – second fastest T2 in my history (I’m a big data geek as you may have guessed).

Not much- just get faster!
Run
  • 36m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Just out of T2, there is a major mountain that must be scaled. Okay, it’s just a bit of a hill, but it hurts nonetheless! It took a while to get my legs moving, but I felt okay. It was getting a bit warm, but not bad at all. I just kept pressing as much as I could and kept watching my watch – I really wanted to break an hour thirty minutes. I sprinted (a relative term in my case) when I got close to the end.

Just keep working at it, and maybe someday, I'll enjoy running.
Post race
Warm down:

I briefly thought I would puke when I got across the line – I didn’t, so I must not have pushed hard enough! I missed the one hour thirty minutes by seven seconds. I grumbled about that for a while, even though I was more than six and a half minutes faster than last year. Lots of food and hydration – Tuxbro always puts on a great race! I hung around for awards- my wife was fifth in her age group which was awesome. My older son also did this race as his first tri (his report is on here too!). My younger son, daughter and her husband also came out to cheer for us which was much appreciated!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same thing I always say - 1. My brain. 2. My brain. 3. My brain.

Event comments:

This is a fun race that is VERY well run. They offer three of these a summer - hope I can do at least one a year for years to come!

Last updated: 2012-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:44 | 547 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/460
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Two right turns
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:19 | 10 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:16 | 03 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-03 12:36 PM

User image

Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed