General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ann Arbor Tri/Du (Pinckney Rec Area), 7/8 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-05 7:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Ann Arbor Tri/Du (Pinckney Rec Area), 7/8

Who's in for which race?

Just got the athlete email last night and am very nervous about the prospect of the race not being wetsuit legal. I haven't practiced in open water without mine yet, even swimming in a warm lake this past Saturday WITH a wetsuit thinking, well, I gotta practice for those cooler lake swims. D'oh!

Anyone done this race before? What should a first-timer to this venue expect?

2012-07-05 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4294942

User image

Regular
Farmington Hills
Subject: RE: Ann Arbor Tri/Du (Pinckney Rec Area), 7/8

I'm racing the sprint. It'll be my first time out there.

I went out there last weekend and rode the bike course. It's a nice rolling course, the roads are in pretty good condition.

Not looking forward to the 5mile trail run though. Hope it stays cool!

2012-07-05 1:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I swam in Portage Lake out Pinckney way yesterday. It had to be close to 80 degrees. I can't see how the swim would be wetsuit legal unless something really shocking happens between now and Sunday--or if they measure the temperature at the bottom of the lake.

I am doing the sprint tri.

It is a great race. Well organized. Fun. The bike used to be pretty rough but I hear the roads have been patched up considerably.

The run is hard but fun. There are quite a few hills but if you just keep putting one foot in front of the other it is over soon enough.

In years past you could not get out of the park until everyone was finished with the bike so there might be a little while before you can take off at the end.
2012-07-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4295648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Yep, it was Bass Lake I swam in Saturday that was so warm. I'm kicking myself for not practicing without my wetsuit. I'm pretty nervous!

I've gotten in a few trail runs at Island Lake so I'm not THAT worried... it's not like I'm winning the dang thing, anyway.

Good to know about the road closures -- I'll make sure the husband has plenty of reading material. =D Also glad to hear it is well-organized, although I was surprised they don't offer Saturday packet pickup. But now we're not in a rush to get to the in-laws by any given time, so that's good.

2012-07-06 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
One more question -- when I run at Island Lake, I coat on the bug spray -- how bad are the mosquitoes on the Potawatami?
2012-07-06 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4297770

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI

Miles around Midtown - 2012-07-06 3:43 PM One more question -- when I run at Island Lake, I coat on the bug spray -- how bad are the mosquitoes on the Potawatami?

Mosquitoes are not the problem on the Poto.  It's the deer flies.  On the Poto they're especially aggressive and will burrow immediately into your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, neck, back, etc until they can find a piece of your flesh to bite.  They will follow you for miles, circling your head and waiting for you to drop your guard, like Floyd Mayweather.  I hate these things.

I'm running for several hours on the Poto this weekend, and I'm planning on sticking a bandanna under my visor that hangs over my ears and neck for protection, and spraying myself heavily with OFF.  Will let you know how bad they are right now.  

2012-07-06 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
One other thing that I think will be helpful.  Island Lake trails are pancake flat compared to the Potawatomi trail (and basically any other trail I've ever been on).  Just so you're ready for that.  The Poto is sneaky in that there are no long climbs, but it's incessantly up and down, which requires constant changes in effort/pace compared to ILRA.  
2012-07-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4298103

User image

Brighton
yeats - 2012-07-06 5:26 PM

Mosquitoes are not the problem on the Poto.  It's the deer flies.  On the Poto they're especially aggressive and will burrow immediately into your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, hair, neck, back, etc until they can find a piece of your flesh to bite.  They will follow you for miles, circling your head and waiting for you to drop your guard, like Floyd Mayweather.  I hate these things.

I'm running for several hours on the Poto this weekend, and I'm planning on sticking a bandanna under my visor that hangs over my ears and neck for protection, and spraying myself heavily with OFF.  Will let you know how bad they are right now.  

I've mountain biked it a few times and soon as you stop you usually get smacked in the back of the head by the flies catching up. Definitely would spray with off before or if you wear a hat stick a dryer sheet under it. 

2012-07-08 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
How did everyone do? I'm very happy with my results, considering this was my first time at the venue. I definitely need to work on my sighting -- I tried to swim to the middle of the lake twice (haha). But I didn't panic and had a great swim for my first non-wetsuit-legal race! The hills on the bike were REALLY tough for me. Gotta do more hill work before next year's race. I ended up second from last in my age group on the bike, I think. And I did great on the run! The way you guys were talking, I was expecting sheer cliffs. =) There were some looooong climbs but I didn't think the run as a whole was THAT bad. I was able to pass a few people and sprint at the end. And I was glad I took the extra 30 seconds to put on bug spray in T2!
2012-07-09 6:42 PM

User image

New user

This was my first real Triathlon and it was very rewarding. There were only 3 Clydesdales in my age group, and I got 3rd.  Haha.

Does anyone know why participation has dropped from 500+ runners in 2006 to just 159 yesterday?

2012-07-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4302476

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
iamaphextwin - 2012-07-09 6:42 PM

This was my first real Triathlon and it was very rewarding. There were only 3 Clydesdales in my age group, and I got 3rd.  Haha.

Does anyone know why participation has dropped from 500+ runners in 2006 to just 159 yesterday?

Congrats! Not too shabby, making the podium for your first race. =)

I have no idea about the attendance as this was my first time for this race, but I overheard someone comment that there was no one there. Shame, too, as I thought it was pretty well-organized.

2012-07-10 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4302564

User image

New user

I talked to a friend that used to do this triathlon a few years back, and he said it used to be held in early June.  It might be a simple timing of vacations with the July 4th holiday that is depressing attendance.

He also said the Island Lake Sprint in Brighton has exploded in popularity as well, which could be a contributing factor.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ann Arbor Tri/Du (Pinckney Rec Area), 7/8 Rss Feed