General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-22 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4295438

User image

Evanston
Subject: RE: Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread
Well sweet! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with slow times. I'm sure the sighting had a bit to do with the slow times too but it still seemed long. These Oly races are fun. Too bad it's back to training for IMMOO! I just wish the chi Tri wasn't sold out at the Oly distance. Oh well, next year.

2012-07-22 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I got sixth overall in the olympic and first in my AG!  It was ran pretty well I thought but there is deff some areas for improvement.

Yes the swim felt long as well.  I know that the 100-150 yards run to T1 had something to do with our times but, not enough.  It said I swam like close to 1:36 per 100 yards or whatever.  I swim faster than that when I am just cruising along half way easy in the pool.  I'm guessing it was close to 2000 yards give or take 100.  I should have wore my garmin and I could tell you all what it was.

I didn't like the bottle neck at the spot where we got out of the water.  I was stuck behind two slow people "walking" up the ramp.  I said excuse me and squeezed inbetween both of them.  Sorry if it was one of you but, hey i'm here to race!

They really need to get overall results out MUCH quicker next year though.  It was sad seeing all the medals that didn't get picked up because of people figuring they didn't place and just left.  That made me pretty upset with the timing company/ whoever was in charge of that.

Good job everyone!

2012-07-22 8:01 PM

User image

Evanston
Same use with the swim. I had my watch and leavin the water I was at like 28. Still very slow but oh well. And vey true about the exit. I had to scrap passed a few people who were walking.

I wish they ha results quicker too. I had to rush after the race but if I knew I was 2nd I might have tried to stay to get my medal. Hopefully they'll send it in the mail!
2012-07-23 9:07 AM

User image

Chicago

Well I didn't podium like all you guys, but thoroughly enjoyed the race.

Swim was obviously long, but I honestly didn't notice until I got out and, jogging to transition the guy next to me asked "did that feel long?"  Being completely honest I answered, "no, it felt short!"  He had a watch so I asked what it said and he said...37minutes...doh!  I then said it must have indeed been long.  But felt ok to me, sighting was a bit of a challenge, I don't know how they expect you to see that little shed on the way in.  Strobe light my rear end.  They need to put a big balloon there or something.

This was the best I've ever felt during an oly until the friggin hills in the middle of the run.  Damn, I had no idea the course was going to do that...I've done the sprint before and there are no crazy hills on that.  But the entire out and back on the olympic course was basically steep ups and downs for the whole 3 miles.  It killed my run time, gave me crazy side stitches under my rib cage and I just wasn't able to power through it.  Slowed to a crawl for probably a mile and a half on that roller coaster.

But, had a good time for me personally and had a lot of fun.

2012-07-23 1:37 PM

Park Ridge
I was hoping for a little feedback, this being my second tri and first Olympic distance. Good to hear the swim seemed long, I had a tough time with it I just could not relax, 44 minutes. How does the bike compare with Chicago? Chicago is going to be tri number 3. Actually any comments of Wauconda vs. Chicago will be welcomed. I know Chicago is huge, my only experience is with big running events where you don't get to run your race because of all the bodies on the course. I am trying to get a sense of what to expect at Chicago. Thanks.
2012-07-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4325955

User image

Chicago

pumpkin31 - 2012-07-23 1:37 PM I was hoping for a little feedback, this being my second tri and first Olympic distance. Good to hear the swim seemed long, I had a tough time with it I just could not relax, 44 minutes. How does the bike compare with Chicago? Chicago is going to be tri number 3. Actually any comments of Wauconda vs. Chicago will be welcomed. I know Chicago is huge, my only experience is with big running events where you don't get to run your race because of all the bodies on the course. I am trying to get a sense of what to expect at Chicago. Thanks.

I've done Chicago oly 3 times, and Wauconda sprint 2x and now the Olympic this year, so I might be the perfect guy to answer your questions...

Starting with the swim....you will likely have less elbow room in Chicago.  There are a lot of people out there, your wave will be 75-100 people and that doesn't even really matter because you'll be all mixed in with the waves in front and behind you at the end anyway.  You may somehow find room and swim totally comfortably, I think it's just a luck of the draw type thing whether or not you get space.  Try swimming outside by the rowboats if you want space.

However - what you give up in space in Chicago, you make up for in sighting.  It's super easy to sight and follow the course in Chicago...you're basically swimming down a hallway with the seawall and dry land to one side, and the rowboats and harbor on the other side.  So no matter which way you turn to breathe, you see something solid and close to you - you never get the feeling that you're out in the middle of nowhere that you can get in the middle of these lakes sometimes.  Also, you can usually see the bottom, which is another sort of steadying influence that can help some people.  And the course won't be long, they've got it figured out.

The bike will be less hilly than Wauconda, but will feature quite a bit more traffic - there are a lot of bikes in Chicago.  They may have done some road work since I last did Chicago 2 years ago, but at that time I'd say Lake Shore Drive was in bad to terrible shape for most of the course.  Worse overall than Wauconda for sure.  Usually there's a headwind going north and tailwind coming back south.  It can be a lot of fun riding on lake shore drive, but after doing it three times, I had enough...always seems dangerous out on the bike course with so many different skill levels on the course at once.

The run is flat as can be...usually going to be HOT, as the olympic distance doesn't get out there till later in the day, and often pretty windy as well, being next to the lake and all.

Overall...it's totally different than Wauconda, simply because of the scope of things.  Transition is huge, there's thousands of people competing, etc.  More energy though...music, PA guys cracking wise, people everywhere, etc.  As long as you can just find a liiiiiitle bit of room on the swim, I'm confident you'll have tons of fun.

2012-07-23 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4324537

User image

Evanston

Here is my Race Report for Sunday's race.  Still crossing my fingers they send me my medal!

http://140point6toglory.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/2nd-overall-wauconda-olympic-triathlon-rr/

2012-07-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4326106

Park Ridge
Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2