General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910xt swim mode - lap vs start/stop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-29 11:01 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: 910xt swim mode - lap vs start/stop?

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Finding Freestyle "you dont know what you dont know" things. Pace clock brings a level of both SIMPLICITY and PRECISION that is not available through a wrist unit.
As a kid I used a pace clock 7 days a weeks for many years. I know how to use a pace clock. It's not rocket science. Yes it's simple and yes it precise. You can use it to help count intervals, you can peek at it during a long swim to get pace. It's easy and usually there. Everyone should know how to use one. But you can get equal precision and simplicity with a watch. It's not better, it's not worst, it's just different. Know how to use both and you can get equal value out of both. So when a person asks how to use one, the answer isn't necessarily don't use one. That's all

Yeah, I agree 100% with Marc here.  I respect your opinion, Dave, and am a proponent of much of your approach to swim training, but the pace clock and wrist computer aren't mutually exclusive.

I wear my 910 in the pool, but it's only there to collect data and keep track of my sets.  I'm swimming the intervals off the pace clock on the wall, only hitting the lap button on the 910 without even looking at the display, and occasionally checking it to see how many sets I've completed.  It's what I want my athletes doing, so I can look at how well they held their pace and whether things started breaking down (more spl later in the sets?).  I don't want them obsessing over the damn thing, but I don't like coaching blindly either, because they didn't collect the data.

2015-09-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Ok, I'll shut up now.
2015-09-29 12:34 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

If someone could make a small wrist worn device that I didn't notice that would record data for me like a Garmin does, I'd love to wear one.  I'm thinking something like a Fitbit or smaller.  It wouldn't have much of a display on it to show me splits or anything, it's purely there for recording data that I could look at later.  Then I can use the pace clock as Dave is describing and have analysis for later if desired without the annoyance of a big watch on my wrist.

Someone should invent that.

2015-09-29 12:47 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I see both sides of the argument.  I'm an old school swimmer so the pace clock is what I know.  At the same time, I've seen some of the swim data from Marc's swimming and thought that was pretty cool to have.  

One thing I struggle with a bit in my head is that when I finish an interval, sometimes I touch the wall with my left hand, sometimes the right but I'm always looking up immediately at the clock as I do so and my opposing arm is down by my side so I'm not sure how I get an accurate split on a watch?  Do you then bring the other arm up and hit lap or are you touching with both arms extended?  Honest question - I'm not dissing it, just wondering.

2015-09-29 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by axteraa

I see both sides of the argument.  I'm an old school swimmer so the pace clock is what I know.  At the same time, I've seen some of the swim data from Marc's swimming and thought that was pretty cool to have.  

One thing I struggle with a bit in my head is that when I finish an interval, sometimes I touch the wall with my left hand, sometimes the right but I'm always looking up immediately at the clock as I do so and my opposing arm is down by my side so I'm not sure how I get an accurate split on a watch?  Do you then bring the other arm up and hit lap or are you touching with both arms extended?  Honest question - I'm not dissing it, just wondering.

Swimming front crawl in a 25 yd pool, I almost always come into the wall left arm extended to touch, and the right arm by my side, becauseI always come out of the turn at the opposite end of the pool the same way. After I touch, I bring my right hand up and hit the lap button on the 910 on my left wrist. I'm looking at the pace clock as I come into the wall. It's obviously not the most accurate, but it is consistent.
2015-09-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Finding Freestyle Much respect for you my friend from that other site, but you want to wear something that you have to purchase, charge and remember to bring to the pool every time? And download. Don't lose your cable! Then you have to press buttons at the end of each swim, compromising your wall touch OR compromising your button press. You cant check splits mid swim. And you are saying that a wrist unit is equally as precise and simple as something mounted on the wall that you need only to look at? And as far as the precision part, I have yet to find a swimmer that can use a Garmin for greater than :01 precision, while nearly anyone who uses a pace clock for a period of time can cut that about in half. The more precise your timing, the more you can discern whether subtle changes in your stroke are helping or not. . Most of those who use Garmins usually give me a :02 - :03 range when asked about their splits. As in "I was somewhere around 1:32 - 1:35". That doesnt cut it. I am saying that all that simplicity plus more precision will make for better swim workouts. And yes, the answer when asked how to use one is "use the pace clock instead". Wrist units, button pressing etc etc diminish your workouts. It's subtle, but it's there. PS - I wont get into whether some of those wrist units actually change the stroke a little bit, but I suspect they do.

Just a couple of questions from the bolded parts above:

• What does having a great wall touch have anything to do with success in triathlon swimming?
  • Why can't you just glance at your watch and check your splits mid-swim?  It's easier (and more accurate) than the analog pace clock.
  • Why would you need to know that you're doing 1:33.50 vs. 1:32.75 in a 15 x 100 set?  I'd even argue that by the time you do the wall touch and pull your head up out of the pool to look at the pace clock (even a digital one) and do the mental math, your accuracy is less than :01.
  • Would you say wrist button pushing diminishes other workouts, too, like running intervals?  Just curious on that one.
  • No idea on changing the stroke, but since I always wear my watch it would at least be consistent. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2015-09-29 3:19 PM

2015-09-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by Finding Freestyle Much respect for you my friend from that other site, but you want to wear something that you have to purchase, charge and remember to bring to the pool every time? And download. Don't lose your cable! Then you have to press buttons at the end of each swim, compromising your wall touch OR compromising your button press. You cant check splits mid swim. And you are saying that a wrist unit is equally as precise and simple as something mounted on the wall that you need only to look at? And as far as the precision part, I have yet to find a swimmer that can use a Garmin for greater than :01 precision, while nearly anyone who uses a pace clock for a period of time can cut that about in half. The more precise your timing, the more you can discern whether subtle changes in your stroke are helping or not. . Most of those who use Garmins usually give me a :02 - :03 range when asked about their splits. As in "I was somewhere around 1:32 - 1:35". That doesnt cut it. I am saying that all that simplicity plus more precision will make for better swim workouts. And yes, the answer when asked how to use one is "use the pace clock instead". Wrist units, button pressing etc etc diminish your workouts. It's subtle, but it's there. PS - I wont get into whether some of those wrist units actually change the stroke a little bit, but I suspect they do.

Got it.  You like things old school.  Good for you.  You make all sorts of "unscientific" claims, and hope people will take your advice.  Good luck with that.  I'm sure you are a better swimmer than I'll ever be, but that doesn't mean your way is the only way.  

The 910 is a great tool for swimming.  It can identify your stroke, captures your lap times and rest times.  Is simple to use and is easily as accurate as looking up at and focusing on a clock so you can read it.  It doesn't change your stroke.  After about 1 or 2 workouts you won't even think about it except to hit the lap button. It is easy to use....  Is it good for everyone.  No probably not.  Would it work good for someone on swim team?  Nope.  Good for someone racing in a swim meet?  Probably not.  But for a triathlete, training and racing, it is a great tool.  And you probably want to train like you race and wear it when you train.

2015-09-29 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
 Do you then bring the other arm up and hit lap or are you touching with both arms extended?  

You probably glide in with one arm extended and one arm by your side. The arm by my side simply does a catch up with the extended up and I press. It's become a habit.

In the long course pool I swim the clocks are never syncronized. I like my watch then. When I travel, 25% of the time there is no pace clock. In Germany I swim in an outdoor pool in the winter. With the fog, sometimes I can't see the pace clock.

I do not depend on my watch, nor do I depend on a pace clock. I can live equally with either. I do agree pace clocks are easier, when they are available and working properly.

I wear my watch when I swim alone. I agree with many of the comments Dave made. If you are futsing with the watch, if it is making your life complicated, you are doing it wrong.

I never wear it when swimming with a group. For me it's like futsing with your bike Garmin while riding in a group. You don't do that. You don't press buttons while the coach is speaking. You don't reprogram your watch between sets.
2015-09-29 3:50 PM

User image

I haven't been swimming much lately since my summer concussion, but when I'm in swimming mode, I love my 910xt. Using this watch helps to motivate me to swim more in the pool. This is a good thing. I'm not a great swimmer, but I enjoy it more when I can track my progress, and I can do this better by using this watch.

I'm a relatively new swimmer. I can't stand it when "traditional swimmers" try to pull rank and give all sorts of reasons why using a watch (garmin or otherwise) is not good. I guarantee it has zero negative impact on my training. As for losing a second or two when you hit the lap button- I'm sure there are plenty of people who look up at a pace clock are off by a second or two or three pretty often. And really what does it matter? If you're in a race, you don't determine your final time. And in open water swimming there are no laps, so it is irrelevant anyway. (I do use the pace clock when I swim with a group, but my coach doesn't care one way or another.)

One thing-- I do open (touch) turns, and I've noticed when using this watch that I get much better lap counting when I wear the watch on my hand that touches the wall. It doesn't seem to matter how much of a push I take at the wall. If you do flip turns the watch seems to be better at recognizing the change in direction.
2015-09-29 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Now that I'm probably perceived as a watch proponent, I'll give these a try

First of all, the best way to improve as a swimmer is to train with swimmers. Swimming with swimmers means behaving and following etiquette that swimmers follow. It's like riding with roadies. While drafting and riding a pace line are not useful tri skills, they are skills you develop so you can ride with them and in return improve more than you could on your own. Want to get chewed out by roadies. Press buttons on your Garmin while not looking at the wheel right in front of you.

Originally posted by jmhpsu93
What does having a great wall touch have anything to do with success in triathlon swimming?

When swimming, you focus on strong finishes, and getting out of the way so the next guy can do a strong finish and see the clock. If you are futsing with your watch chances are you are in the way. Many times I come for a flip turn and a person is futsing with their watch. This problem is easy to solve by a little common sense and courtesy, not always traits found in triathletes.

Why can't you just glance at your watch and check your splits mid-swim? 

Turning your head and looking at the pace clock is actually easier. You know it's about 1sec later than your feet pushed off the wall

Why would you need to know that you're doing 1:33.50 vs. 1:32.75 in a 15 x 100 set?  I'd even argue that by the time you do the wall touch and pull your head up out of the pool to look at the pace clock (even a digital one) and do the mental math, your accuracy is less than :01.<

I agree with you are. Plus the 250lb guy doing butterfly in the next lane creating tidal waves causes more innaccuracy than the watch

Would you say wrist button pushing diminishes other workouts, too, like running intervals?  Just curious on that one.

Press the lap button, no. Pressing buttons to scroll though 3 screens of data on each lap, while standing in the way of the next guy trying to do a finish or a turn does. Again, a few idiots give the rest of us a bad name.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-29 3:55 PM
2015-09-29 5:26 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

• What does having a great wall touch have anything to do with success in triathlon swimming?
  • Why can't you just glance at your watch and check your splits mid-swim?  It's easier (and more accurate) than the analog pace clock.
  • Why would you need to know that you're doing 1:33.50 vs. 1:32.75 in a 15 x 100 set?  I'd even argue that by the time you do the wall touch and pull your head up out of the pool to look at the pace clock (even a digital one) and do the mental math, your accuracy is less than :01.
  • Would you say wrist button pushing diminishes other workouts, too, like running intervals?  Just curious on that one.
  • No idea on changing the stroke, but since I always wear my watch it would at least be consistent. 

1. Being a good swimmer, (ie - flip turns, good push offs, good touches etc) all contribute to your aquatic physical vocabulary. All about learning to move effectively in water. Wall touches are least important but I wasnt really talking about touches so much as getting accurate times.

2. Moving your hand and head from a swimming position to look at your wristwatch as you flipturn or prepare to turn is certainly not easier or more precise than breathing to the side of the pace clock as you go into the wall and taking a quick look. It just isnt.

3. .75 second is a huge difference in 100 splits. As to "Why?" Well, because it is important, that's why. It may not be important now, but down the road as you hopefully continue to swim and improve, you will reach the point where small changes to kick timing or hand position can yield consistent improvements of less than :01. You start to notice these things when you pay acute attention to the clock. You never notice them when you hit buttons etc etc. You might not even actually net that half second gain per hundred if you are messing with your head and hand position to look at your watch and hit buttons.

You can argue that swimmers get the pace clock wrong by a second or more, but you'd just be guessing. Every age group, high school , summer league and college swimmer worth their salt, can achieve at least :01 accuracy by looking at the clock and doing the mental math. Most can be more precise. OTOH, I have asked countless people with watches on their wrist for their splits on, for example, a descending set, and they cant tell me accuraltey enough to even know if they descended. And that is important. Speed play (neg split, build ups, descending) are excellent integrators. But they are time based activities, not effort based. And going :01 faster per hundred is a valid descending set. You cant really nail that with a Garmin.

4. Pushing buttons doesnt hurt running intervals because you can hit it at the precise time you cross the line without losing speed.

2015-09-29 5:28 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa  Do you then bring the other arm up and hit lap or are you touching with both arms extended?  
You probably glide in with one arm extended and one arm by your side. The arm by my side simply does a catch up with the extended up and I press. It's become a habit. In the long course pool I swim the clocks are never syncronized. I like my watch then. When I travel, 25% of the time there is no pace clock. In Germany I swim in an outdoor pool in the winter. With the fog, sometimes I can't see the pace clock. I do not depend on my watch, nor do I depend on a pace clock. I can live equally with either. I do agree pace clocks are easier, when they are available and working properly. I wear my watch when I swim alone. I agree with many of the comments Dave made. If you are futsing with the watch, if it is making your life complicated, you are doing it wrong. I never wear it when swimming with a group. For me it's like futsing with your bike Garmin while riding in a group. You don't do that. You don't press buttons while the coach is speaking. You don't reprogram your watch between sets.

This all makes sense.  I swam in a LC pool last year that only had a clock at one end and I couldn't see it from the far end so I had to do 100s or more rather than some 50s.

I'm not really anti watch, I just haven't been convinced that spending the $ on one will benefit me.

2015-09-29 5:34 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I haven't been swimming much lately since my summer concussion, but when I'm in swimming mode, I love my 910xt. Using this watch helps to motivate me to swim more in the pool. This is a good thing. I'm not a great swimmer, but I enjoy it more when I can track my progress, and I can do this better by using this watch.

I'm a relatively new swimmer. I can't stand it when "traditional swimmers" try to pull rank and give all sorts of reasons why using a watch (garmin or otherwise) is not good. I guarantee it has zero negative impact on my training. As for losing a second or two when you hit the lap button- I'm sure there are plenty of people who look up at a pace clock are off by a second or two or three pretty often. And really what does it matter? If you're in a race, you don't determine your final time. And in open water swimming there are no laps, so it is irrelevant anyway. (I do use the pace clock when I swim with a group, but my coach doesn't care one way or another.)

One thing-- I do open (touch) turns, and I've noticed when using this watch that I get much better lap counting when I wear the watch on my hand that touches the wall. It doesn't seem to matter how much of a push I take at the wall. If you do flip turns the watch seems to be better at recognizing the change in direction.

Sorry if you think I am a traditional swimmer trying to pull rank. You cant however guarantee that wearing your Garmin has no impact on your training, the same as I cant guarantee that it does.

"What does it really matter?" Well, I asume we are spending time in the pool to improve, as in swim faster. Not knowing your 100 splits to the tune of :02 - :03 pretty much assures you have no idea what thins, if any, are helping you swim faster. The ability to time yourself precisely opens up a world of possibilities for self testing all sorts of stroke modifications. Swimming is a game of inches. Seconds count. Half seconds per 100 count.

The fact that open water swims dont have laps is the part that is not relevant. Building pool speed by :01 / 100 means you finish your IM swim :42 faster. It matters because it matters. I see a lot of folks on this site who struggle with the swim on one hand, while holding fast to all sorts of incorrect asumptions with the other. It makes me sad and I want to help. Not trying to you off.

Of course, if you enjoy your watch and it helps you swim more you should use it. Gotta stay happy.

2015-09-29 5:40 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Why would you need to know that you're doing 1:33.50 vs. 1:32.75 in a 15 x 100 set?  I'd even argue that by the time you do the wall touch and pull your head up out of the pool to look at the pace clock (even a digital one) and do the mental math, your accuracy is less than :01.<
I agree with you are. Plus the 250lb guy doing butterfly in the next lane creating tidal waves causes more innaccuracy than the watch

I kind of think of it as the same reason we use latex tubes vs butyl and try to figure out if aero helmet A is faster than B - small subtle differences add up.

If you are consistent with your push off and the clock is easy to see at the finish, you can absolutely get accuracy of less than :01.  If I'm doing 50s, I'll be looking at the clock and thinking :33 high or :34 low.  That's a 0.5s difference and can be the difference of whether or not I kept my focus at the end with my catch.  Outside factors like Mr butterfly in the lane next to you obviously can affect this but you just learn to take that sort of thing into account.

2015-09-29 5:42 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Well, in my defense, this isn't really science we are talking about. It is about a whole lot of observation of a whole lot of swimmers over a very long period of time. Pace clocks make for more accurate splits. More accurate splits are good. More accurate splits help swimmers make more informed decisions about stroke changes. Which of course makes for faster improvements.

I am all for technology, power meters, fins, pull buoys, carbon fiber and nearly every other gadget, gizmo and gimmick that the awesome sport of triathlon has produced. WE are the innovators. Cyclists and runners end up doing what triathletes start doing. I just dont swallow EVERYTHING that is fed to us. Like watches in the pool for instance. They take away, they dont add. Most beginner triathletes never possessed the things the watch takes away, so they dont notice. I am just saying "hey there's this thing here you might be missing, that might help you, if we can put this other thing aside for a bit."
2015-09-29 5:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Why would you need to know that you're doing 1:33.50 vs. 1:32.75 in a 15 x 100 set?  I'd even argue that by the time you do the wall touch and pull your head up out of the pool to look at the pace clock (even a digital one) and do the mental math, your accuracy is less than :01.<

I kind of think of it as the same reason we use latex tubes vs butyl and try to figure out if aero helmet A is faster than B - small subtle differences add up.

If you are consistent with your push off and the clock is easy to see at the finish, you can absolutely get accuracy of less than :01.  If I'm doing 50s, I'll be looking at the clock and thinking :33 high or :34 low.  That's a 0.5s difference and can be the difference of whether or not I kept my focus at the end with my catch.  Outside factors like Mr butterfly in the lane next to you obviously can affect this but you just learn to take that sort of thing into account.

Phew. I thought I was alone. Thanks.

I really do care for everyone here. I dont want you to buy anything from me. Heck, if you PM me and ask nicely, I might let you go through my program for free.

2015-09-29 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I can tell you, when I use a watch I am as precise, if not more precise than looking at the wall
Head goes under water, hands come together and the second I push off the reset button is pushed and I am streamline. The second my hand touches the wall on the finish, the reset button is pressed.

Yes, I've seen people press the button, then start their push off and their feet touch the bottom before they press at the end.

Mine is simply part of my routine/flow, WHEN I use a watch which is probably 1/3rd of the time these days.

A watch is certainly not necessary and I would not spend money buying one specifically for swimming. But if you have one as part of your run and bike watch, why not ?

2015-09-29 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond

I can tell you, when I use a watch I am as precise, if not more precise than looking at the wall
Head goes under water, hands come together and the second I push off the reset button is pushed and I am streamline. The second my hand touches the wall on the finish, the reset button is pressed.

Yes, I've seen people press the button, then start their push off and their feet touch the bottom before they press at the end.

Mine is simply part of my routine/flow, WHEN I use a watch which is probably 1/3rd of the time these days.

A watch is certainly not necessary and I would not spend money buying one specifically for swimming. But if you have one as part of your run and bike watch, why not ?

If you can use that watch and time yourself to that level of precision, I can float with that. (Pun intended)

2015-09-29 7:41 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Finding Freestyle

1. Being a good swimmer, (ie - flip turns, good push offs, good touches etc) all contribute to your aquatic physical vocabulary. All about learning to move effectively in water. Wall touches are least important but I wasnt really talking about touches so much as getting accurate times. 2. Moving your hand and head from a swimming position to look at your wristwatch as you flipturn or prepare to turn is certainly not easier or more precise than breathing to the side of the pace clock as you go into the wall and taking a quick look. It just isnt. 3. .75 second is a huge difference in 100 splits. As to "Why?" Well, because it is important, that's why. It may not be important now, but down the road as you hopefully continue to swim and improve, you will reach the point where small changes to kick timing or hand position can yield consistent improvements of less than :01. You start to notice these things when you pay acute attention to the clock. You never notice them when you hit buttons etc etc. You might not even actually net that half second gain per hundred if you are messing with your head and hand position to look at your watch and hit buttons. You can argue that swimmers get the pace clock wrong by a second or more, but you'd just be guessing. Every age group, high school , summer league and college swimmer worth their salt, can achieve at least :01 accuracy by looking at the clock and doing the mental math. Most can be more precise. OTOH, I have asked countless people with watches on their wrist for their splits on, for example, a descending set, and they cant tell me accuraltey enough to even know if they descended. And that is important. Speed play (neg split, build ups, descending) are excellent integrators. But they are time based activities, not effort based. And going :01 faster per hundred is a valid descending set. You cant really nail that with a Garmin. 4. Pushing buttons doesnt hurt running intervals because you can hit it at the precise time you cross the line without losing speed.
We have a disconnect regarding how a Garmin is used in the pool. I do all those things you're describing with the lap clock, and never fiddle with the Garmin. It's there to supplement the lap clock, not replace it. Press start at the beginning, then lap at the start and end of each interval. My athletes all use it that way. I discourage them from using the preprogrammed workout function on them for any training session, not just swimming.
2015-09-29 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4297715

User image

Doesn't matter what you use, just so long as you don't touch the wall, turn in the water every 25/50, and for God's sake don't push off!!! No walls in races and all.......
2015-09-30 2:08 AM

User image

Firstly, I am amused that I seem to have revived this OP from 2012 in to a roaring discussion

Without getting in to the pros/cons, I will just say that today I swam a different workout and whilst pressing lap every start/stop (but keeping time running). This is the workout:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/914153310

3 sets of 250 with 10-20 seconds rest between every 50.
I am please to see that this way, my pace is 10-15 sec better than in a continuous 250.
This leads me to believe that my form is generally fair (can improve of course) and need to work on endurance.
Finally, please to see that the "rest laps" are not really shown on GC, so that is great.
Now I will use this method and have a better way of judging progress.

PS - As for the ongoing debate, I am not a "real" swimmer, just an aspiring Triathlete.......

2015-09-30 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by aribloch

Firstly, I am amused that I seem to have revived this OP from 2012 in to a roaring discussion

Without getting in to the pros/cons, I will just say that today I swam a different workout and whilst pressing lap every start/stop (but keeping time running). This is the workout:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/914153310

3 sets of 250 with 10-20 seconds rest between every 50.
I am please to see that this way, my pace is 10-15 sec better than in a continuous 250.
This leads me to believe that my form is generally fair (can improve of course) and need to work on endurance.
Finally, please to see that the "rest laps" are not really shown on GC, so that is great.
Now I will use this method and have a better way of judging progress.

PS - As for the ongoing debate, I am not a "real" swimmer, just an aspiring Triathlete.......

I think you definitely could use some endurance work
Even with 20s rest every 50 (which is a lo)t, look at the drop off between your first 50 and 2nd,3rd, 4th....

You do 1:05 then drop to 1:10 to 1:12 with 20s rest. You take 2.5min rest you drop fo 1:07 but back to 1:12 with 20s rest...Your first 50 after a long rest is 5s (10s/100m) faster. That's a lot. You are quite consistent.

Then at the end you are doing 1:13s and 1:14s and you take 10s extra rest (32), boom you drop to 1:11 the back to 1:16 with only 20s rest.

Go into the intervals tab of the workout. Do you see the pattern ? At first I thought your times were all over, then I realized it was the rest period that made things vary. That is one of the reasons you leave the watch running, so you can see that stuff.

But you also need to be working on your technique. A 2:20m/100 pace is not a sign of efficiency. Being innefficient drains you more and shows your lack of endurance even more. The two should not be dissociated.

Now, you could maintain a more even pace and that pace was very consistent from lap to lap, you could try see how different things affect it and that's where you will see some real progress. That's one of the points I think Arend and Dave were trying to make.

IF (big if) the above is correct, it shows one of the values of wearing a watch. You can look at it afterwords and see patterns. I think this is what Don likes as a coach.

Congratulations, you are well on the route to improvement.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-30 6:48 AM
2015-09-30 7:06 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by ariblochFirstly, I am amused that I seem to have revived this OP from 2012 in to a roaring discussion Without getting in to the pros/cons, I will just say that today I swam a different workout and whilst pressing lap every start/stop (but keeping time running). This is the workout:https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9141533103 sets of 250 with 10-20 seconds rest between every 50. I am please to see that this way, my pace is 10-15 sec better than in a continuous 250.This leads me to believe that my form is generally fair (can improve of course) and need to work on endurance.Finally, please to see that the "rest laps" are not really shown on GC, so that is great.Now I will use this method and have a better way of judging progress.PS - As for the ongoing debate, I am not a "real" swimmer, just an aspiring Triathlete.......
I think you definitely could use some endurance work Even with 20s rest every 50 (which is a lo)t, look at the drop off between your first 50 and 2nd,3rd, 4th....You do 1:05 then drop to 1:10 to 1:12 with 20s rest. You take 2.5min rest you drop fo 1:07 but back to 1:12 with 20s rest...Your first 50 after a long rest is 5s (10s/100m) faster. That's a lot. You are quite consistent.Then at the end you are doing 1:13s and 1:14s and you take 10s extra rest (32), boom you drop to 1:11 the back to 1:16 with only 20s rest.Go into the intervals tab of the workout. Do you see the pattern ? At first I thought your times were all over, then I realized it was the rest period that made things vary. That is one of the reasons you leave the watch running, so you can see that stuff.But you also need to be working on your technique. A 2:20m/100 pace is not a sign of efficiency. Being innefficient drains you more and shows your lack of endurance even more. The two should not be dissociated.Now, you could maintain a more even pace and that pace was very consistent from lap to lap, you could try see how different things affect it and that's where you will see some real progress. That's one of the points I think Arend and Dave were trying to make.IF (big if) the above is correct, it shows one of the values of wearing a watch. You can look at it afterwords and see patterns. I think this is what Don likes as a coach.Congratulations, you are well on the route to improvement.
We'll said. Especially the part about not disassociating technique and fitness.
2015-09-30 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by TriMyBest  We have a disconnect regarding how a Garmin is used in the pool. I do all those things you're describing with the lap clock, and never fiddle with the Garmin. It's there to supplement the lap clock, not replace it. Press start at the beginning, then lap at the start and end of each interval. My athletes all use it that way. I discourage them from using the preprogrammed workout function on them for any training session, not just swimming.

This is how I use it, too.  All of our send-offs are based on the pace clock and I use that for feedback at the end of an interval; I don't mess with the watch otherwise (unless I switch it to drill mode or something).

2015-09-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest  We have a disconnect regarding how a Garmin is used in the pool. I do all those things you're describing with the lap clock, and never fiddle with the Garmin. It's there to supplement the lap clock, not replace it. Press start at the beginning, then lap at the start and end of each interval. My athletes all use it that way. I discourage them from using the preprogrammed workout function on them for any training session, not just swimming.

This is how I use it, too.  All of our send-offs are based on the pace clock and I use that for feedback at the end of an interval; I don't mess with the watch otherwise (unless I switch it to drill mode or something).

If you don't have to fuss with the watch during the workout, then great! I think the larger point in there is to be careful of things that may distract from actually swimming in some way or other. Might give some info, but could be trading one thing for another without realizing how much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 910xt swim mode - lap vs start/stop? Rss Feed  

of 3