General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mind over matter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-06 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: Mind over matter?

Interesting article.  What do y'all think?

http://networkedblogs.com/zvYyj

2012-07-07 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4298481

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mind over matter?
I agree with the premise, and was already familiar with the studies showing that carbohydrate rinses can improve performance. I actually do that during sprint triathlons by swishing and spitting out Gatorade. During sprints our bodies don't need the fuel, and putting something in your stomach during such a hard effort can leave a person feeling sick, but a carb rinse can trick the brain into letting your body work harder. Dr. Sam Marcora is one of the leading researchers of the concept that we are limited more by our minds than bodies: http://phys.org/news188205906.html
2013-10-29 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Came across this thread on a google search of all things. I am working right now with an exercise physiologist (Carl Foster) who Sam was under while he did his undergrad. I read his studies on the mind being the limiter factor and some of his research material. We talked about this for awhile and he gave me his interpretation and thoughts. Also mentioned how Tim Noakes is usually right on this stuff and that his "Central Governor Theory" is slowly gaining more acceptance.

So then I took this into my own practice and my training along with some friends. Basic study very informal. Here is what I did

Took 2 friends and had them run a 5k paced all out while watching their pace based off 1 mile laps. Used their pace to associate a number to the effort they gave out and as their limiter (threshold). 2 weeks later did the same run, same route, conditions, etc as best as I could replicate. I modified their laps to be 1.03 miles instead of 1. This meant they had to run faster to run the same "pace" as shown on the GPS. They both ran the same "pace" but had faster overall times the second time.

Again this was a very informal field study but gave me some food for thought and put the theory into practice.

Edited by bcagle25 2013-10-29 3:18 PM
2013-10-29 6:03 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Wow!  I'd forgotten about this very short thread!  I find this extremely interesting, so I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't spark more discussion.

That's interesting, Ben, as that's roughly 3% faster.  Did the two of them report similar or different RPE?  I hope you also collected HR data.  How did that compare?  Were the environmental conditions the same for both runs?

2013-10-29 6:27 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Now if I could only get someone to stand at the two mile mark and shout, "Only one mile left!" during this weekend's 10k I'll be all set! 

Pretty interesting study and seems to make logical sense.  We have always heard that the better athletes are able to "go into the hole" deeper and longer and that's what elevates them above others.  

2013-10-29 7:22 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Swishing Gatorade around in your mouth isn't mental.

Thinking about swishing Gatorade around in your mouth is.

Big difference.

2013-10-29 7:37 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DV 1 Swishing Gatorade around in your mouth isn't mental. Thinking about swishing Gatorade around in your mouth is. Big difference.

Only, it's not physically possible for the nutrients in something swished around in your mouth to be digested and be available to your muscles to use for fuel as quickly as performance improvements have been observed.  The conclusion drawn from that is that it's some other mechanism at work.  The theory is that this mechanism is when the brain receives the signal from receptors in the mouth that nutrients are present, it relaxes the governor a bit.

2013-10-29 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4298481

User image

Elite
These theories have been around for awhile and though the control system is not.fully understood......yet....it seems.to be a reality and effects performance.......read the works.of Candace Pert who.passed away unexpectedly this year and there is a lot the mind controls that we do not fully understand yet......she does not work with athletes but neural physiology and psychoneuroimmunology
2013-10-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Wow!  I'd forgotten about this very short thread!  I find this extremely interesting, so I'm a bit disappointed that it didn't spark more discussion.

That's interesting, Ben, as that's roughly 3% faster.  Did the two of them report similar or different RPE?  I hope you also collected HR data.  How did that compare?  Were the environmental conditions the same for both runs?

I must have missed this when it was originally posted as I'm very interested in Noakes's work and evidence that supports the idea of a central governor. It would seem very clear that the brain plays a role in the regulation of exercise intensity and carbon rinses, increased performance with positive encouragement and/or self talk, cramping stopping with the taste of salt, etc all support this idea. On the other hand, there are examples of athletes who are able to push through to the point of failure which leads to the question of whether it is localized failure or, most likely I think, a combination.

As an aside, I hate that the central governor is reported as a theory when it should be more accurately described as a hypothesis. This just adds to the confusion many have about what a scientific theory means.

Shane
2013-10-30 3:04 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Thanks for pointing out that this is still just hypothesis and not yet theory, Shane. You're right in that it hasn't been proven yet.
2013-10-30 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I will see if I get can their Garmin files, I don't think HR was recorded. This was really an impromptu observation I made. I remember both ran faster but one fell off pace a bit, still recorded a faster time, while the other was in essence 3% faster which is a huge gain.

It is an interesting topic of discussion for sure but Noakes's ideas over time seem to always be accepted and practiced by the masses.

2013-10-30 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Originally posted by DV 1 Swishing Gatorade around in your mouth isn't mental. Thinking about swishing Gatorade around in your mouth is. Big difference.

Only, it's not physically possible for the nutrients in something swished around in your mouth to be digested and be available to your muscles to use for fuel as quickly as performance improvements have been observed.  The conclusion drawn from that is that it's some other mechanism at work.  The theory is that this mechanism is when the brain receives the signal from receptors in the mouth that nutrients are present, it relaxes the governor a bit.

I agree, .... it's a reaction to a physical stimulation.

A discussion about the caloric needs at differential distances is another conversation altogether.

I liken this discussion to any placebo effect scenario. There's no denying that the catalyst for adaptation is not solely responsible for the anticipated outcome. This placebo effect is in very general terms a positive outcome based simply on the idea that a course of therapy (in this case Gatorade swishing) will work. But in this scenario, the course of therapy goes beyond positive belief, and requires a physical impulse. It's not mind over matter, it's using a product in a way that tricks your body's bio-mechanical system.

Meditating is mind over matter. Verbalizing positive affirmations during a race is mind over matter. Thinking about the delicious taste of sweet Gatorade swishing around in your mouth is mind of matter. Swishing Gatorade around in your mouth is not.

But who cares about the semantics. If it works, it works.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mind over matter? Rss Feed