General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Haven, Michigan
United States
Grand Haven Triathlon, LLC.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 34s
Overall Rank = 159/182
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Headed over to GH Saturday to register (about 40 miles). Was 90 degrees, windy, water temp 77, 2-3' waves out of the North, swim goes North (doubt sets in). Got home later than planned, rushed to get everything packed and bike on the car. Got to bed a little later than planned, my phone alarm indicated it would go off in 6 hours and 15 minutes, hope I can sleep. Up with the alarm, bagel and coffee and on the road at 6:11. Set up bike in transition area, LBS had a booth and pumped my tires, I need to get a pump for the Presta valves on my new road bike. Beautiful morning, 70+ degrees and minimal breeze and lake calm to 1'.
Event warmup:

Walked 10 minutes, light stretching. Decided to swim a little. Thought I heard someone say water temp was 74, NOPE!, 63 brrrrr. Literally took my breath away upon entering. Stayed in about 10 minutes swimming out to first buoy and back. With 10 minutes to go, waded back out to chest deep then took my place in the pack.
Swim
  • 26m 58s
  • 547 yards
  • 04m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Cold was the word of the day in the water, first time I ever thought I needed a wetsuit. Started out faster than my first tri and was in the middle of the pack, but with the cold water, lots of people were treading water trying to get their breath back. Compared to last year, saved about a minute when including the 1st transition. 2011(30:03/1:30), 2012(26:58/3:24). The difference is I jumped in my shoes sand and all and ran the 1/2 + miles to the transition area where I rinsed my feet and put on shoes and sox. Last year, I rinsed and did shoes and socks right out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Wet suit! Dry socks, wet feet, must be an answer.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

See comments on swim regarding unique tranisition at this race.

I forgot to loosen toe straps, hard time getting feet into the cages.
Bike
  • 45m 46s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really strong on the bike. Passed quite a few and the people passing me had cool bikes with covered rear wheels that go ZOOM when they pass you. Passed by one young gal on a MTB at about the 10 mile mark, but she was less than half my age. Bike/Transition - 2011(51:50/1:36), 2012(45:46/1:29). My biggest gain 6:03.9! Of course 2011 I rode MTB, but still 2mph faster, I feel good about. Had a cappuccino gel at the midway point and let up a little, nice tree lined road so I pretended I was having my morning joe while coasting along about a 2-mile stretch, only place I could have pushed harder. Rescue fire truck whizzing by at about 11 mile mark while climbing hardest hill, biker crashed on hairpin turn at the 11.5 mile mark. Didn't hear if they were OK or not.

Loosen toe straps. Need to find a way to get feet cleaned and sock/shoes on faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Didn't run with bike the whole time so only way to improve here is to run with bike the full 50 yds. or so. Dumped helmet, changed shirts had number pinned and ready to go, and off.

Jog with bike the whole distance.
Run
  • 35m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the porta-Jon coming out of 2nd transition, so lost about 45 seconds or so, but was necessary. Didn't have to stop and walk this year, yea! My cardio felt strong, but the legs and body were tired. In 2011(38:02), 2012(35:55). Cut 2 minutes off last year, happy with that. My largest area to improve (174 out of 182), should be able to get my 5k down to close to 30 min. and that will help my O.A. performance.

Less water on the bike ... one more pit stop before the swim would have been beneficial.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel around neck cold water down the throat, enjoyed congrats from wife Cindy and strangers standing around. Smiled when I heard my name announced as I finished, something about recognition. Walked around for about 3 minutes, then sat in grass and stretched for 5 minutes. Then found some grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Prior to the race and had biked and ran about 130 miles each this year and swam about 12,000 yards. Great by the previous decade standard I set, but needed more runs and bikes, still building my base.

Event comments:

It was nice to do my first race location a second time and see the improvement. Looking forward to next race 8/11 so I can add to my experience and swim on a calm inland lake!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:58 | 547 yards | 04m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 141/182
Performance: Average
Time is miss-leading. I checked my watch out of the water and was 16 minutes, couldn't read the seconds cuz my head was spinning trying to adjust to warm dry land.
Suit: NA
Course: U shaped course, out 75 yds, turn N 500 yds, back to shore 75 yds. Start out of water on nice sandy beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:46 | 12.43 miles | 16.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 149/182
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, couple of short but nasty hills. Road a little rough in the 1-2 mile and then coming back 10-11 mile area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:55 | 03.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 174/182
Not sure about the calculation here, I show about 11:35/mile. Was getting pretty hot out at this point, used water station to poor a cup over my head.
Course: Out and back, smooth boardwalk and paved side walk. Nice view and scenery along boardwalk with water, boats, stores and people milling around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-09 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-07-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4300774

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course
Yo David ... great job and I really like the road bike addition to your portfolio too. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed