General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

New user
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
did 85k ride on Saturday, was planning on doing 100k but the last road had no shoulder due to construction and was too busy so we called it a day.

Was a tough long ride though, was hot and primarily uphill with lots of rollers. Felt good to get out, although I apparently missed a couple spots with sunscreen and they are very red.

2013-07-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
kent, WOOHOO! 53 miles of riding! That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
2013-07-15 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4306637

I'm glad to see this thread didn't die. I've been checking in every now and then, but have just been extremely busy so I haven't posted. Still training, just in a reduced capacity (2/3). Just as I started to run again I hurt my back...again. I don't think it's anything major, but considering I'm coming off of back surgery, I'm not taking any chances. Because of this, I've decided to drop the oly in a few weeks and do the sprint instead. It will be my first tri, so it will still be good experience and still challenging as well.

I had my first open water swim class last weekend. Swimming in the lake wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but it is totally different than the pool. The water was a bit choppy so that made it a bit more difficult for my first time, but I was able to sight okay and found that I actually swim pretty straight and don't veer off course much. Of course that is only swimming among a small group. I'm sure swimming in a crowd is totally different.

The wife is also back to work full time after having the baby, which means I have mornings free to workout. I've been commuting to work on my bike (11 miles each way) and one day a week go in late to do a longer ride (30-35 miles) on my way into work. I've been using the Strava app on my phone to record my rides. I just rolled over 600 miles on my new bike but still have many more to go as I signed up for a second century ride in September to make up for not doing the Oly.

Have a great week all. Keep up the good work.
2013-07-16 6:53 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Heya DBGlobal. Most importantly, congrats on the new addition to the family! First? Hope everyone is adjusting well!! Good on you for making the smart decision to scale back the race. You don't want to mess with surgery and incite possible complications.

As for me, my training is still on track and doing well...although I had to miss my run this morning (3.5 miles). I was on duty for the FD (I'm a volunteer EMT) until 0600 and we got a call at 0330 and didn't get back until almost 6, so I got home late and by then my wife was already starting to get ready for work (I'm a stay at home dad). I'd like to say I'll make it up tonight, but I know how hot and humid it'll still be...not sure how realistic it is. Maybe I'll just do laps in the pool or throw the bike on the trainer in the cool basement.

Hope everyone else is still rockin' it this month....and leatherneckpa you are healing and doing what you are able to do.
2013-07-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: CTDon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
DBG, glad you're still with us. We have lost so many over the last year. I think you are making the right idea to scale back down, although I know how hard it is to convince yourself to do so.

CTDon, the pool and the basement sound like winners to me. I walked yesterday with the 5yr old grandson at 6pm. 98* and 90% rel hum. BRUTAL! I'd avoid the humidity if I were you.
2013-07-16 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Glad to see people back on here. Wonder how we could get new members for our group.

As for me, I'm laying low this week due to the hot weather here in NJ. I might get a swim or two in this week and waiting to get our bikes back from the shop for a quick service. Might head to the basement to do a trainer ride like CTDon.

Mike and have a busy race weekend coming up. On Friday, we are volunteering at packet pick up, then sprint relay swim leg for me and Sprint Tri for Mike on Saturday then Olympic Aquavelo for me on Sunday. These are our A races and are just hoping the weather cools down a little without bring bad storms in the mornings.

Heard that the lake water is 86 degrees already so can only imagine how warm it will be by Saturday morning. I will take warm over cold any day and prefer not to wear a wetsuit if I can avoid it.

I did order new pedals which should arrive this week but won't be using them this weekend - staying with what I know. I will head to the bike shop next week for a fitting tweak and to have the pedals/cleats put on. I am switching from Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals to Shimano SPD-SL 105 road pedals. Only reason I'm switching is because my old pedals are getting pretty worn and makes it harder to clip in on one side- glad they are double sided or I would not be able to wait.

2013-07-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Randi, you and Mike have a couple of good days this weekend, but be careful. From what I am seeing you will still have to contend with all this heat and humidity we are suffering through right now. ETA: I can't imagine how folks survive races like Kona and Cozumel.

BTW, I served two years as a LT at the Federal prison on Ft Dix. You anywhere near there? Didn't notice a whole lot of hills in that part of the state. I lived out in Pemberton and used to ride my bicycle in to work sometimes, about 7 miles each way. Rode my motorcycle up 70 to Lakehurst a couple of times.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2013-07-16 12:34 PM
2013-07-16 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Yes, I know what you mean about Kona and Cozumel. Makes me want to smack the people in our area complaining, yes complaining, about how warm the water is going to be this weekend. Seriously??? The pool at the Y is usually somewhere in the 84 degree temps so I am pretty used to warm water. I would prefer for it to be in the upper 70's but so much happier it is too warm than too cold.

We are not far from Ft. Dix at all (live in Hamilton, Mercer County - just north of Bordentown). Occasionally we hear the war games going on at the base. Lots of booming but just glad it is only drills.

You are correct, there aren't many major hills in our area or on the course for the NJ State this weekend - thank goodness since I hate riding hills. Having been to Vermont and New Hampshire and even the Poconos, no, we don't have hills in comparison to those areas.
2013-07-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
stupid, STUpid, STUPID!!!

Just came in from the neighbor's pool, letting the 5 yr old grandson get a swim in. Forgot to put my sling on, but wasn't going back over to get it. Then I got the bright idea to try a length or two. It's only a 16'x32' oval pool. First length didn't hurt, but by the end of the second one I could certainly tell my arm isn't ready for that! Anybody know how to silence the 21 yr old Marine in my head? He keeps getting me in trouble!
2013-07-16 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi guys, just checking in.  I am not as good at "seeing" this forum in the new design. It's hard to get used to.

I have actually been working on heat acclimatization.  I am running Ragnar this August and know my first run will be in the hottest part of the day, so I want to be ready.  I have done almost all of my runs in the afternoon and I really feel pretty good.  I usually shy away from the sun and completely shut down at the sight of it. Yesterday, I ran in the sun for the majority of my long run (10 miles!) and it was fine.   It was about 83 when I got home, so not as bad as it's been, but it's usually the sun that gets me.   It's very satisfying to get through the tough few weeks it took of hot runs to feel like this.  I figure more triathlons will have me running in the heat, so I better be ready.

leatherneckpa BE CAREFUL!

2013-07-17 2:41 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Regular
Afternoon all. This heat and humidity is brutal on this big boy. Walked the dog with my wife last night at 9:30 and then ran two miles. I was still dripping like a stuck pig! I am finally feeling like a runner...although I am still slow. Last night was 2.1 miles in 23 minutes. Hope to get a ride in tonight with the heat indices pushing 100 it should be fun. What's everyone else doing today?

Oh, and Leatherpa, don't over do it! You have the ability to control or extend the length of your lay off. I hope you choose to control it.

2013-07-18 8:23 AM

New user
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

kent, WOOHOO! 53 miles of riding! That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Leather, now I just need some of your pool speed. I'm on pace to be very close to the cut-off. I've done the distance twice now though which is nice. Hoping to drive up to a local lake this weekend and do the distance in wetsuit and get all the fit issues sorted out.
2013-07-22 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN

Hello. I just started back with BT and saw the thread. Think it is a great idea and look forward to reading and posting more. i have been very slack this year and have NOT ENTERED ANY events. I couldn't believe it! I have continued to run and bike, but have not gotten in a pool. DId I mention I hate to swim. Anyway I am going to change that and I would appreciate any help you guys are willing to offer.
2013-07-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: Speedy the Turtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
So, I did my first real workout in SO MANY months this morning. Wasn't much to speak of, but still beats the recliner.

Walked 2.08 miles in 38m 14s. Can't find my HRM chest strap right now, so I just used the MapMyWalk app on my Droid. Oh boy are my ankles and knees sore. This lack of activity and the massive pity party I was holding for myself has run me back up to 370, so that shouldn't be a surprise. But I figure now that I have something to report daily I will be motivated to start paying better attention to my nutrition. The combination of the two should start my weight back on the way down.
2013-07-23 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk - 2.1 miles - 34m 58s - 16:39 avg

NEVER drink two cups of Pepsi within 10 minutes of starting your exercise!! I wanted the caffeine and the sugar to jump start me today. BAD move!

This route is ALL uphill for the first mile, 219 feet. And then it's all downhill back to the house. I am essentially starting all over after this huge layoff, so my ankles and knees need to recondition themselves before I even think about trotting. I am trying to increase speed with what I call "soft feet". Basically it means that both feet are on the ground during transfer, rather than me being in the air between foot strikes. Keeping the knees bent and sort of shifting from hip to hip seems to help too.

BTW: Anybody who want to see my calendar or keep me honest is welcome. It's public and I always welcome input.

I am laying plans for my 2014 season already. I think I'm basically going to do everything I had planned for THIS year, only better, because I will be lighter and have had more conditioning by that time next year. So a Sprint in April, an Oly in June, maybe another Oly in August, and then a HIM in either late September or Late October (depends on where I choose to do it).
2013-07-23 12:06 PM

New user
Leather, great to see you back at it!

As others have said, don't push yourself to hard and re injure yourself. Focus on nutrition and CONSISTENTLY getting in workouts.

I would slowly build up distance and frequency before I would think about increasing intensity.

Hoping to get in one last bike tonight. I bought a $20 computer that will give me distance time and speed, so want to make sure it is working properly and then it is time to rest up for LP. *gulp*

2013-07-23 6:10 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Hi guys,

Long time no see. But I am back. Being winter over here it has been a little tough, but hey, better than nothing right?

So most of my training has been on the trainer in front of the tour, but a little running thrown in. Looking forward to some mini tris this year locally, and maybe one proper spint distance. Baby steps.

Have a great day
2013-07-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hi All,

Mike and I had a great race weekend! I posted my reports if you want to read them. The one is for the swim part of the sprint relay and other is the olympic aquabike. I had my personal best pace on the bike for the aquabike. I was so inspired that I bought aerobars and had them along with new pedals (which I had received before the weekend but waited until after the race) installed yesterday, now I just have to get on the bike and practice with both. A little nervous about the aerobars but am confident that I will get it without killing myself.

Originally I only had 1 more race to do in September in Atlantic City but decided to another local race the week after that so back to training on Monday.
2013-07-25 12:28 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Run - 40m 06s - 1.99 miles - 20m 09s /Mi

My left ankle was feeling a little strained from this first week of workouts, so I decided today was just a mileage day, no concerns about the time. It was a struggle, but I managed to keep my pace casual. I'm planning to hit it hard tomorrow and then rest both Saturday and Sunday. Next week I'll up the mileage a little bit.
2013-07-26 3:55 PM

Regular
Congrats! One step at a time.

I became a committed believer in the run/walk camp this week. I did a straight up run on Tuesday night and did 3 miles in 33 minutes on the head. Knee was gnawing at me at the end and I felt like I couldn't have done another 100 yards. Last night I intentionally did 4.5 minute / 1.5 minute run/walk work. Did 3 miles in 33minutes 7 seconds. Felt like i could have done a couple more miles and the knee didn't bother me.

I guess my 245 pound frame likes the break.
2013-07-27 11:29 PM
in reply to: gbswan

User image

Calgary, AB
I'm still kicking around too....  managed to finish my second Oly a couple of weeks ago (ocean swim, no less!) and currently training for a 140km granfondo in late August.  Just got back from a 50km ride... if I survive the granfondo, it'll be a miracle.  Smile

2013-07-28 5:37 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
I would be happy with 50km.

Did a brutal crossfit workout sat, and started on the beginner program in joe friels book today, with an easy run/walk.

Ill keep you all posted.
2013-07-28 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4306637

Glad to hear everybody is still at it and that Leather is able to start working out again. Last week was tough as I was sidelined with the latest bug that the kids brought back from daycare. I did manage to get a handful of short (10-12 mile) rides in and even a 1 mile OWS. The biking continues to improve. My average speeds are now consistently in the 16.5 -17.5 mph range, regardless of length or elevation gained. My last two rides I averaged >18mph, which is really good for me.

Saturday I had my last OWS class. They set up a mile swim course for us, which ended up being a little longer due to the wind pushing the buoys out a bit further. The way out was really good because I was able to keep a good rhythm. The way back in was a different story. The winds started picking up and I couldn't keep a rhythm due to the choppiness of the water. I kept going for a breath right when a wave would come over my head and I'd get a mouthful of water instead. I survived it, and unfortunately forgot to take my watch so I have no clue what my time was. The instructor was busy yelling for me to get my knees up when running out of the water and forgot to yell my time out. Oh well. Practicing transitions was good, I learned a couple things. One, I may bring an extra water bottle to wash the sand off of my feet before putting my socks on. Two, rolling my socks so that I could roll them onto my wet feet was a big time saver. And three, I need to remember to put my bike into an easy gear before racking it. Trying to get started without clipping in first is much more difficult and painful in a hard gear.

Just three more weeks before my sprint.
2013-07-29 4:29 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
First swim in quite some time today, felt pretty good just rolling over a slow 20 mins. It was nice to prioritise myself for once over lunch, just imagine if I can do it every day!

Have a great day all
2013-07-29 6:05 AM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

It's great to see everyone up and at 'em again!

I wasn't online much last week as I was the den leader for my son's den at cub scout camp. It was just a day camp, but we were out and about all day. I got a couple of good swims in while the kids had their swim time, but other than that I was just too beat to get any workouts in last week.

This past weekend was our backyard sprint tri. We did laps in the pool to equal .25mi, then biked and ran through my neighborhood and some surrounding streets. It was a lot of fun, but a bunch of people bailed on it, so there were only 3 of us who did the entire distance. That's okay though, everyone who was slated to participate are different ages, so everyone got an engraved medal with "1st place Age Group" on it....hey it's pretty much our only shot at a podium! lol. We also had 10 kids participating in a shortened version too. they all got medals as well. I'll write up a report on it, but it was really just a fun thing to do with our friends, but it was also a good tune-up for a sprint i have coming up in a few weeks. I learned that I need to spend more time on the bike and do more bricks. So even though I'm in the midst of training for a HM, I'll have to work those in.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45