General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should I buy running shoes in NYC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-12 2:03 PM

User image

New York City
Subject: Where should I buy running shoes in NYC?
I need to get fitted for running shoes. Anyone have a place to recommend in the city?

2012-07-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4308287

User image

New York, NY
Subject: RE: Where should I buy running shoes in NYC?

Go to Jack Rabbit. They're the best and do a great analysis on your running form and support needs.

The only issue is that after you've found the perfect sneaker, you'll find that they often only have one color in stock. If you tested out ugly shoes, don't settle for them because it's all they have in stock. Jack Rabbit often has different colors at their other stores, so ask and they will get it to you the next day.

2012-07-12 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Jack Rabbit is good, as is The Running Store, though they tend to be a bit snobbier than Jack Rabbit. Also if you sign up for their membership (which is free and like, literally taking down your name and address) you get a discount.
2012-07-12 11:54 PM

User image

New York City
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give Jack Rabbit a try. I'm familiar with them, but wanted to hear from people who have shopped there before. I don't want to get ripped off
2012-07-13 4:50 AM
in reply to: #4309157

jack rabbit is good, but paragon is not bad either.  they have the best policy if it still exists.  run in the shoes for 30 days and if there's any problems, bring the shoes back and exchange them.   cant go wrong with that.   
2012-07-13 9:39 AM

User image

New York, NY

If your concern is getting "ripped off", it depends on your perspective and how you value service. The people at Jack Rabbit will find the perfect shoe for you. The value of that alone should be quite high.

Sometimes they have sales, but often the items are sold at retail price. As mentioned above, if you're in their system you get something like 10-15% off, which helps. 

Full disclosure, I did get "ripped off" in March. I was torn between buying an updated shoe that I bought from JR a year prior and a completely different model. I chose the completely different model in an ugly color (red) with the intention of also buying my old shoe online. When I went to Amazon, I learned that the red shoes sold by JR at full retail price ($120) were an out-of-date model from 2011. On Amazon, I was able to buy the same 2011 shoes in a far better color (green) for $65. I returned to JR and exchanged the ugly red shoes for the updated version of the shoes I already had (which were priced fairly). The pricing problem might have been an issue of timing and they hadn't yet received the 2012 models.

I continue to support and suggest Jack Rabbit, because they will find the best sneaker for you. 

2012-07-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4309251

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
gleeclub - 2012-07-13 4:50 AM

jack rabbit is good, but paragon is not bad either.  they have the best policy if it still exists.  run in the shoes for 30 days and if there's any problems, bring the shoes back and exchange them.   cant go wrong with that.   

Paragon is really underrated for running/tri stuff, I think. They have a great selection of shoes, as well as bike and swim equipment and clothing. I think people think of them as a team sports place, but before there were all the running-specific stores around, they were the Mecca for international tourists during marathon week.
2012-07-13 11:57 PM

User image

New York City
Thanks for all the info! I don't mind spending the money to get a good pair of shoes, I just don't want to spend more than I need to to get a good shoe. I'm gonna stop by JR tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks again!
2012-08-14 4:51 PM

New user

NYC
Does anyone have an opinion of Urban Athletics? I was thinking of going to JR until my boss recommended them to me.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should I buy running shoes in NYC? Rss Feed