View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Freeport, Illinois
United States
Total Time = 1h 12m 28s
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Event warmup:

Ride the bike over. Couple laps in the pool.
Swim
  • 06m 44s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did ok here. Guessed ~6:40 for a swim time and was fairly close. Bumped the lane line a couple times. The lines on the bottom weren't quite centered. Nice having the person behind me miss. So the next person was 60 sec back. I only had to go by someone on the "down" part. Felt solid throughout. Moved along, but didn't go overly hard. I gain less than most people speed-wise by going hard, so it doesn't make sense to burn the energy here.

Getting used to breathing pattern. Used to go bilateral all the time, but have been working on every stroke. Started bilateral out of habit, but remembered to switch not too far in. Felt more energized even though I wasn't really any faster.
What would you do differently?:

Not really anything in the race. Just need more training.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Short run out of the pool area to T1 right outside.
What would you do differently?:

Got a new pair of tri shoes coming, so that should help. Don't like the ones I have (too loose), so use the multi-strap road shoes.
Bike
  • 42m 37s
  • 17.08 miles
  • 24.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Was hoping to go out and just smash this course. Felt rather dead legs from the start. Not getting enough sleep during the week. Trained right up to this (it was a hard workout, not really a key race). And have had hip trouble the past week. Could only just ride, nothing really hard. Passed a bunch of people, but didn't have that lively/explosive feel I usually do for a race.

Ave Power: 300 Watts
Normalized: 311 Watts
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Got in and out. Saw my brother coming out from the swim. Let him know the "out" part of the bike would play brutal mind games with our speed.

Official time is T2 + Run, so I subtracted out the Garmin time.
Run
  • 20m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Just ran. Wasn't sure what to expect with the hip trouble. Did fine on the bike, but running tends to make it act up more. Did ok. Knew it was there, but didn't really hurt. Faster than I thought it would be, but slower than what I can do. HR was noticeably below what I can do a sprint run at, though I still need to get used to the burning more.
Post race
Warm down:

2 seconds off of first place. Can't believe that. Oh well, just for fun, I was well off what I'm capable of, so not sure how that would have felt had I gotten it.

Last updated: 2012-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:44 | 437 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. Serpentine. Down & back, move over. 30 sec send-off. Person right behind me didn't show, so empty spot there.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:37 | 17.08 miles | 24.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Time recorded by event is T1 + bike. This is my Garmin time, which should be pretty close. Course is almost always on a false flat or minor hill. None are hard, but they drag you down some. Most all of them are too long to carry speed that far from one into the next. Today it was raining beforehand, and still very wet & very heavy air for the race. Wind was supposed to be ~3 mph out of the south, but data says otherwise. ~500 ft elevation gain. I rounded down the course correction number. It's usually high and Garmin's barometer wasn't working.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:16 | 03.11 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Out and back. Slighty up going out, mostly light downhill coming back. Still wet from earlier rain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?