Venice YMCA
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 10s
Overall Rank = 64/139
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Drove down the night before, went to packet pick-up and the pre-race pasta dinner then stayed across the street at the Veranda Inn. Got up at 5 am, ate my normal race day breakfast, wheat bread, peanut butter & Nutella. Rode out to the race site, about 3 miles, then went through the normal check-in and set up routine.
Event warmup:

3 mile ride to the race site, quick swim of maybe 100 yards to test the tape on the Garmin (one of the buttons is letting water in, tape worked!!!). Ran into some BT friends, Mark & Chris, before the start and forgot to stretch.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not as fast as I had hope for, but still a solid swim. First 50 yds to buoy was a washing machine, then after that it cleared up. Sighting was tough because I was looking into the sun on every breath and the middle buoy was the same color as the swim caps for my wave, red. The turn into the beach was bad because of the sun.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I think I did pretty well for having been sick all week leading up to the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Long run because of low tide. Parking lot is crushed shell and asphalt. Nothing out of the ordinary about this T1.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of T1 feeling very good, got up to speed and got my feet in my shoes very quick. Got passed by a few people but not many. I actually like being in a later wave so I have people to pass.

Push harder, felt like I could have gone faster for longer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Good jump off of the bike, good run to the rack, got the bike hooked quickly, put the helmet down and grabbed my right shoe, when I went to slide it on, my heel caught on the wrap I had on my right index finger covering a large cut I suffered on Thursday. Had to take my foot out of the shoe and use a different finger to slide it on. Never thought a finger injury would slow me down!

Not slam my finger in a door 2 days before a race!
Run
  • 28m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run training has not been where it should be, really shows in my times. I had been right around 10 min./mile during training, so I was very pleased with 9:18/mile. Glad they moved the start time up by 30 minutes, otherwise the run could have been brutal!

Train more & lose weight!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, sprinkler tent (best idea ever!) and cheer on other BTers. After that, long shower and change into clean clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick during the week before a race, working a football camp that kept me outside every morning, and being about 30 pounds heavier than I want to be.

Event comments:

Great venue, fast course but it could be better. Need more restrooms/porta-potties and better post race food.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 437 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 33/139
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes team tri suit
Course: Point to point, south to north, parallel to the beach. Low tide, so more beach to cross, but no sandbars to deal with. Quick drop into deep, clear water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:15 | 13 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Overall: 65/139
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back, same as previous years. Rough roads and sand on the turns make it slow.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:57 | 03.1 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 87/139
Performance: Average
Course: Clover shaped run course, out and back with 2 loops that return to a central point. Very unique course, allows you to see other competitors the whole time. They moved some of the water stations which put them at odd distances, but overall, very well supported run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-14 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Englewood YMCA Triathlon

2012-07-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4311638

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Englewood YMCA Triathlon
Good job out there, it was nice to see you! Hope to see you later this year, possibly at Venice if you are there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Englewood YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed