Norwalk, Connecticut
United States
Team Mossman Triathlon Club
Total Time = 1h 12m 45s
Overall Rank = 77/531
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/40
Pre-race routine:

my pre race routine was to miss my alarm, rush out of the house without coffee, and get there just in time. If I hadn't packed the night before I doubt I would have remembered my bike. I met Rudedog55 (really nice guy!) and saw a couple of other friends, but barely had time to get going.
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

The current was a huge help, but I was swimming well - Held a great line, was really smooth, and flew through. My best swim time this year by a full minute, and at a effort\pace I have held for far longer than the course.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, felt like a greased torpedo out there.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I wish I knew my splits here, but they were not posted. I assume it was rolled into the bike split, but only because I can't imagine my swim time being faster than it already shows. Good transition.

I need to work on getting my shoes on quicker once on the bike. It's not a major problem at all, just a nit.
Bike
  • 35m 34s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I hadn't ridden the course before, and if I had I would have been a lot more fearless and could have shave at *least* 3 minutes off my time. There's a gradual hill about halfway through the loop that I dialed in WAY too pussy a gear for the first time and spun up like a clown, and the second time was still too pussy. With a pre-ride, I woulda known exactly what to do, and given myself back a minute there. I was also a big fat weeping pussy on the corners, not knowing how dusty it was or wasn't. Again, a ride woulda saved me another in total on all the corners. The other minute is me not knowing the road conditions well enough to bomb the hell out of the descents. Recon. I had the legs to be top 10 here, and next year I'll do it.

RECON. Rudy helped me out as much as anyone could with descriptions, but I need to ride it. Also, wake up on time so I don't forget a water bottle, my mouth was slimy from the salt water and I really coulda used it. I wasn't even remotely underhydrated, just wanted a rinse.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

again, don't know my splits, but I LOVE coming in off the bike to an empty transition area and hearing the announcer talk about how "this is the elite group coming in now, their heart rates are maxed out, these are the best out there"...total confidence boost. I'm not "elite" quite yet (gimme another year!) but I'm getting there.

Left my sunglasses behind. Didn't need em, but took them rather than stand there thinking uselessly in the middle of a race.
Run
  • 24m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, I start out like a sobbing pussy, then remember how to do it and finish strong. Great things come from learning, though, and I managed to learn something - at one point a guy I know to be a stellar athlete (finished top 20 OA) passed me at about mile 1. Two things occurred to me: 1) I had been ahead of him until that point. Swchweet. 2) The look of crazed animal pain on his face, the sounds coming out of his mouth, and the froth shooting out of his mouth told me EVERYTHING I need to know about what it takes to get on the podium. I'm not running 6:30s out there, but I should be pushing a lot harder than I am.

I need to plumb deeper, push harder, and be willing to puke and bleed out there. I try to have TOO much fun, there's a line and I have to cross it.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The brain, my enemy on the course. If I take off my skirt and start racing like a man, I could win one of these things one day.

Event comments:

Time to buckle down and race like a man, but all in all, a great race for me. I'm still learning this stuff, so the fact that I PR'd today by about 7 minutes isn't quite the cause for celebration that it should be. If I'm still doing that kind of crush in a year I'll dance a jig, but I'm still at the stage where I'm improving every time, so without trying to sound like an egomaniac, I kind of expect PRs right now. I'll definitely do this race again, I like the course and it will give me an annual measuring stick. Great to meet Rudy, looking forward to seeing him again in the future.

Last updated: 2012-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 880 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 77/531
Performance: Good
Suit: yep
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:34 | 12.5 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Overall: 52/531
Wind:
Course: I always prefer closed roads, but I didn't have any problems. Some others had issues with clueless old ladies driving down the middle of the lane, but it happened behind me, so no complaints.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:54 | 03.11 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 177/531
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Mossman Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4313131

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mossman Sprint Triathlon

nice job out there!!!  It was great meeting you!!! Hope to see you at next years and you make the BeerBQ next time!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mossman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed