General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Zofingen Duathlon - Long Course - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
CM2 Promotions, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 45m 5s
Overall Rank = 8/47
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Pretty normal morning. Had my coffee, OJ, Ensure, Clif bar & banana. Drove from the hotel to the race site, checked-in, and grabbed some rack space.
Event warmup:

Very light, short jog.
Run
  • 41m 36s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Less mud than a year ago. And lack of fog & rain meant even in the woods, the scenery appeared somewhat different (hey, look at those cliffs we run right past!). Other than that, the run went very much the same although I ran more 'alone' this year (other runners either pulled further ahead or lagged further behind my pace).

I conciously tried to keep it easier than last year, but actually ran about 1min faster. May have just been the lack of mud meant less worry about my footing on the downhill sections. Walked the steepest section in the middle of the course, but otherwise kept running.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Not much to say here. Moved through quickly after a quick laugh as I greeted Mark & Anthony (each doing the Canadian Womens race).

Nothing.
Bike
  • 5h 09m 25s
  • 84 miles
  • 16.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Once again, very simmilar to last year (except dry with excellent visibility making for better scenery to go with the pain). Rode about 9min faster than last year.

Really just need better fitness to ride this course well. So come better prepared, I guess. Also, while I thought I was drinking enough, I seemed low on the first run lap and, in hindsight, probably could have been a bit more 'aggressive' with my intake during the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Went smoothly.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 51m 47s
  • 15 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt better starting the run than last year and was hopeful that carry through the run. Made it further before I started walking the climbs than last year but, once I did, there was no changing it. At the end of lap 1, I felt somewhat dehydrated and lightheaded. Thought briefly about whether I should just stop but kept moving forward and eventually felt a bit better (just really tired).
Post race
Warm down:

Food and a beer. Hop in car for 3hr drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness

Event comments:

Love this race, in general. LC is just very challenging for me to train for adequately given the time of year. This year was particularly challenging for a number of reasons. Might do it again some day, but only when I am sure I can be better prepared.

Last updated: 2011-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:36 | 05 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/47
Performance: Good
Course: Run goes through some fields before entering the woods. Run then alternates between single-track trails, mostly uphill and some wider fire road trails, generally flat-to-decending. Last portion is back through another field into transition (or past transition through the Gazeebo for post-bike laps).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
05:09:25 | 84 miles | 16.29 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: No way to do it justice in writing. But here goes. Head out of transition onto dirt road. Short climb and then descend, hitting pavement shortly before hitting main roads for the loops. Turn left onto road and begin intense climb. At top of climb, immediately enter scary, windy descent with sharp right turn at the bottom. Mix of up & down terrain for a bit until more climbing is hit followed by another fast descent and another sharp right hand turn. Then comes longest section of 'speed' on the course (goes by too quick), but a few kickers along the way, including the steepest incline on the course towards the end of the loop. Finish with some moderate climbing again before hitting the end of the lap and start of intense climb again. Do loop 3x, then turn back into transition and navigate dirt road again.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:51:47 | 15 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-16 1:04 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: American Zofingen Duathlon - Long Course

2012-07-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4314038

User image

Subject: RE: American Zofingen Duathlon - Long Course
Great job...glad the weather held up this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed