General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-09-21 11:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread
Good luck to all... I'll be a Catcher at the finish line (2-5 and 9-12 shifts). Keep warm and I hope to congratulate plenty of you on finishing a tough race!

Edited by Stillmanji 2013-09-21 11:05 PM

2013-09-23 10:43 PM
in reply to: Stillmanji

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Nobody's checked back in yet?!?

What a day.

My take, Cliff's notes.....

Scary day before with snow, wind and rain.  Hard to leave bike in those conditions!!  (TAPED it to the rack!)

AWESOME swim - loved it!!

HORRID T1 - wait outside for change tent access, no chairs, no volunteers - worst T1 ever, by more than 20 minutes.

TOUGH bike course.  Would have been really nice to have been able to preview Martis - it was much harder than Brockway. Did it, though - done.

T2 - well, when you come in as late as I do, there's lots of help!!  Watched a lady get carted out on a stretcher, though.  Kinda puts it in perspective.

Run - felt great!  Hmmmmm.... may have left too much in the tank on the bike!  Got COLD, didn't have a jacket until SN.  Drank the soup for the first time ever, but held a good pace.  Danced through the music at some stations, skipped through one - given the conditions, happy with my race.

Added 2 AND A HALF hours to my last IM time. Not what I'd hoped for......but still on high from the finish.  Hubby finished in a 13:10 - also 2 hours slower than his PR.

2013-09-23 10:55 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Regular
San Juan Capistrano
Just signed up for next year. Based on a couple of friends first hand reports and the lack of race reports on BT .... I'm thinking I made the wrong decision.
2013-09-24 12:00 AM
in reply to: tdueker

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
That bike was evil. Completely trashed my legs on the bike which killed my run er walk shuffle low jog walk shuffle. There was at least a 35% DNF rate with at least 933 people who started the race not finishing it. I did finish but ya 3 hours longer than Vineman.

If you do this race, bring warm warm clothing, practice rides with plenty of 10 and 12 percent grades and hit 8000 feet of climbing on your long rides for many months. It isn't the length of the hills it is the really steep grades. I did a 10 mile hill with 6% grade every week, sometimes twice a week, not even close to getting me in shape for this bike. Heaven help anyone who is out on that course with those temps in the rain.
2013-09-24 5:44 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

What a race!! I know it was a tough day for a lot of us but all said I think its a great course. My total time sucked but I knew I was under trained coming in and it wasn't going to be a PR day. I think its a great IM option and something different than the other races out there. It was so beautiful out there .... and I got time to soak it in as I was out there a loooong time
2013-09-24 6:02 PM
in reply to: rafikichapman

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It was beautiful, but it is too late in the year for that elevation I think. They could tweak that bike course, move it 1 month earlier and it would be more appealing. Those waves can get pretty big on that lake though...

2013-10-04 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya so they are not going to change the time of year, the run or bike course, but may put a larger tent in T1. So ya, there ya have it gona be another tough race next year, wonder how long it will take to sell out if at all given the dificulty and BRRRR factors. Will bike more hills many many more hills.
2013-11-11 6:13 PM

User image

After reading this thread and the race reports I have signed up for this race. To me, this is the definition of Ironman. I specifically chose this race because it is so tough.

I am doing Ironman Whistler then 8 weeks later I am doing Ironman Lake Tahoe. It is going to be an interesting summer.

Dwayne
2013-11-18 11:35 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Canyon, Texas
Attaboy Dwayne! I feel the same way, I just registered today. Luckily, I should be able to make the trip up there to take a few shots at that bike course!
2014-02-03 11:08 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I will be bringing much more cold weather gear this year and maybe just a backpack to throw things into if it happens to warm up. You finally get warmed up on that big set of hills and that 4 mile climb and then come screaming down the big hill towards the lake fully open to the wind and brrrr internal temp drops right back down again.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6