General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-08-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread
Guys good luck to all of you in September. I just did the full IM Expedition Man triathlon on the other side of the lake (Zephyr Cove) and the smoke was thick and was definitely affecting us there. Most of that smoke is coming from the Yosemite fire which is HUGE (as in bigger than the city of Las Vegas) and only 15% contained. Hopefully it doesn't affect your race the way it affected ours. That would only add insult to injury on an already hard course.

2013-08-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I just changed to an 11-32 two weeks ago.  Climbed 13k this weekend, and was very grateful for the gears!!  I've always spent a lot of time climbing, but my trial run in Tahoe 3 weeks ago crushed me.  Hence.....the new gears.

The smoke IS going to be an issue, I think.

2013-08-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I had a great training day up at the lake on sunday with some family and friends who are also racing.

Swim was a huge PITA due to some high winds that created some 3 foot swells. Water was very comfortable though, and crystal clear. We did about 33 minutes or so. Transitioned in the parking lot and had some friends transport our run bags to Squaw.

Did a loop of the bike (minus the private area) and ended up at Squaw at 50 miles. Brockaway was a killer as usual but the 11-28 I switched to made it a bit better. The rest of the course is pretty uneventful and with the exception of the one hill along the lake...is fairly fast. Roads are in great shape. Watch out for the drainage grates though!

Run course is beautiful! We did 6.5 out and 6.5 back all on the bike path. Had a great run that I was able to negative split. Good confidence booster for me. Nice and shady for most of it, and no major hills at all, just a few rollers up and over side roads and bridges.

I live at sea level and the altitude had ZERO effect on me.

Looking forward to a great race. My plan is to take the bike super conservative and hope for a great run (which would be a first in my 4 Ironman attempts) :D
2013-08-29 5:06 PM
in reply to: jackson61802

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Originally posted by jackson61802 I live at sea level and the altitude had ZERO effect on me. Looking forward to a great race. My plan is to take the bike super conservative and hope for a great run (which would be a first in my 4 Ironman attempts) :D

How far in advance did you arrive before your training day?  The evening before, the day of, or several days before?  Just curious if it was right before, and your body had no clue what was going on (or if there's any truth to what I've read about either arriving weeks ahead, or day of/night before).

This will be #4 for me too - and I desperately need a good run.  The other 3 were awful! Cry

2013-08-29 9:32 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I don't know about others, but I need a full 10 days to adjust to altitude for workouts. I am fine for short workouts but then go really flat like your are really fatigued after the first 15 min or so. People are different, so it will be hard to predict what impact 12+ hours of workout will have on any given person.
2013-08-30 7:48 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Originally posted by karen26.2

Originally posted by jackson61802 I live at sea level and the altitude had ZERO effect on me. Looking forward to a great race. My plan is to take the bike super conservative and hope for a great run (which would be a first in my 4 Ironman attempts) :D

How far in advance did you arrive before your training day?  The evening before, the day of, or several days before?  Just curious if it was right before, and your body had no clue what was going on (or if there's any truth to what I've read about either arriving weeks ahead, or day of/night before).

This will be #4 for me too - and I desperately need a good run.  The other 3 were awful! Cry

I drove up, montain biked and camped at 8k feet the day before.

2013-09-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: jackson61802

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So don't go out and find some steeper hills to do repeats on and pull a calf muscle as part of IM Tahoe prep...... don't ask how I know.
2013-09-07 4:53 PM
in reply to: ernestov

Subject: Tahoe Shop for Bicycle Box & Ship
Paco's Bike & Ski shop in Truckee has just opened a special IRONMAN Tahoe Box & Ship program. Here's what their website says:

Paco's has a Build,Box, & Ship special program for IRONMAN triathletes. We also have specials on bike service and custom race geometry fits.

Paco's is a convenient 20 minute drive to the IRONMAN event start, and we are in proximity to diverse lodging and restaurant facilities.

Give us a call to RSVP for the IRONMAN Box & Ship Program.

www.pacosbikeandski.com
530-587-5561

Attachments
----------------
EMail_FAQ_Workflowr.pdf (203KB - 49 downloads)
2013-09-09 9:45 PM
in reply to: TahoeMan

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Tahoe Shop for Bicycle Box & Ship
Per Yuri (head of the GU Crew but not affiliated with this race), on course GU flavors for our race are as follows:

GU: strawberry banana and vanilla
Roctane: blueberry pomegranate, cherry lime and maybe some pineapple
Chomps: watermelon

I will be bringing my own plain and salted caramel GU and lemon or cranberry apple Chomps. Those are my faves and REI has them. : ). Happy tapering!
2013-09-13 12:20 PM
in reply to: Mrs. brown_dog_us

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Tahoe Shop for Bicycle Box & Ship
Nine days by my count. Single digits until race day.

All the work is done, just have to keep the legs loose and turning over and some swim touch-up.

I am actually really (in a very nervous way) looking forward to this race. My fitness is such that if I were racing AZ or FL that I think I could PR but the elevation and the climbing next Sunday is the great unknown.

Just rambling out loud. See you all in Tahoe next week. Happy racing.
2013-09-13 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Good luck to all who are racing next weekend!  I'll be with a big group from my team volunteering at the far run turn around (closest to Tahoe City).  Tahoe is home-away-from home for me, and I am so excited to see Ironman taking advantage of this amazing setting! 

My mom is on the West Shore right now, and she reports that it is beautiful!  She went kayaking this morning at 8:30, and said she was comfortable in a long sleeve tech shirt with a mid-weight tech jacket.  Plan for a disposible layer on top heading out on the bike.

Travel safely, and see you in Tahoe!

2013-09-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Master
Dallas
Not meaning to scare anyone, but a buddy of mine that is racing traveled on Saturday and tried out a loop on the bike course. It took him three hours at 15mph to finish it (without Martis Camp, of course). This guy rides consistently at 20+mph and he said that it will be by far the slowest IM course he's ever tried (this will be his tenth full IM).
I think we will have to adjust expectations and run a very well executed race, unless we want to walk the entire marathon or worse...
2013-09-16 8:18 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by ernestov

Not meaning to scare anyone, but a buddy of mine that is racing traveled on Saturday and tried out a loop on the bike course. It took him three hours at 15mph to finish it (without Martis Camp, of course). This guy rides consistently at 20+mph and he said that it will be by far the slowest IM course he's ever tried (this will be his tenth full IM).
I think we will have to adjust expectations and run a very well executed race, unless we want to walk the entire marathon or worse...

I'm already scared without your post to help.........

Got the pre-race butterflies starting up.

Fitness is good. I feel good. If this were at sea-level I would be looking to PR. At 6,200 feet I am looking to execute a smart race and do well in comparison to my peers.

Consider my expectations adjusted.
2013-09-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California

And on the flip side, in early August I did 2 loops, with the Northstar portion at 17.9 avg. This was 4 days after 110 hilly bike miles and 2 days after an 18 mile hilly run and an hour swim right before so I started tired.

FWIW I train on a mountain that has longer, steeper, switchback climbs, like covering 16 miles in 2 hours type of climbing,so Tahoe is, for me a refreshing break from hours long climbing.

Edited by LittleCat 2013-09-16 8:38 AM
2013-09-16 6:29 PM
in reply to: LittleCat

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by LittleCat

And on the flip side, in early August I did 2 loops, with the Northstar portion at 17.9 avg. This was 4 days after 110 hilly bike miles and 2 days after an 18 mile hilly run and an hour swim right before so I started tired.

FWIW I train on a mountain that has longer, steeper, switchback climbs, like covering 16 miles in 2 hours type of climbing,so Tahoe is, for me a refreshing break from hours long climbing.

That is awesome to have that kind of training. Unfortunately, in addition to training at sea level, I also train in a pretty flat locale. Maybe now I really am getting scared
2013-09-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Well, all the workouts are in the tank, the hills are what they are, the temps will be what they will be, at least it doesn't look like rain. In the end, it will be enough. We have all done the work, we have the overpriced bikes and the fancy foods and the spiffy tri suits. Sunday will just be a well catered long workout with lots of folks cheering us on. We will all just do what we have trained for and I will see yall at the finish line. "Lord help me to change the things I can, accept the things I can't and give me the wisdom to know the difference." Peace.

2013-09-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4320990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I did a mock 1/2 race 3 weeks ago and was able to average 18 mph for a 50 mile loop (no Martis) and I live at sea level and do ALL of my training in the living room on a cheap mag trainer. Im far from a beast on the bike....my PR at a fast course like AZ is only 5:30.
Yes, the climb up Brockaway sucks for the 20 minutes you're on it, but the majority of the rest of it is totally cruisable.

That said, I plan to take the bike nice and easy so I can actually enjoy that beautiful run course.
2013-09-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just so you know 5:30 even on a flat course or even downhill course is about an hour faster than many of us... which makes you a FOP cyclist. I think a lot of folks are going to struggle on this course. Once I get to the run I should be fine, not sure what those hills will do to overall pace, but I am sure it will add at least 1 hour to the bike and have a residual impact on the run. Also, the elevation gain, though it didn't impact you, will impact many many folks significantly. People don't need to freek out, but they do need to hit this event conservatively to avoid going boom.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-09-18 10:43 AM
2013-09-18 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Agreed on going conservative. This event has several factors waiting to impact - cold temps, winds, elevation and then the hills on the bike - any of these has me telling my friends and family that I do not have a time goal. There are too many factors I have to manage and each needs respect or like you said - boom. I nailed my previous goals but this one has me in full-management mode. I am excited about it - this is a challenge.

Another thing I will say is watch out for the bees. I am not allergic but those that are need to be aware. There are a lot of them and they are aggressive. I have been here a week and have been stung twice - once on the bike and once on the run. They get caught in the clothing - yesterday in my collar while running and got me in the neck. I figure on the run course is going to be a perfect place for people to get stuck - and if you are allergic you are in the middle of no where. Heads up.

Have a good race everyone.
2013-09-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Watching from the sidelines and rooting for you guys.  Not sure if you saw it over on ST, but someone posted a great idea for staying warm on the start of the bike, get an extra special needs or gear bag and put it in the front of your jersey (like the pros with newspapers), especially as the bke start is mostly downhill? 

Good luck!

2013-09-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: cialome

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
+1 on the bees. My friend got stung on the neck 2 weeks ago as we passed the Ritz.

For those who have not been able to ride the course, here's another N=1 data point for you. I did IMTX 2 years ago 5:45 (pancake flat). I've ridden the Tahoe course now about 8 times. I've done 2 loops a couple of those times. My expectation is to bike around 7:10ish. The climbs have been well documented but there are lots of other places on the course where you'll get into your granny gear for short efforts. I think I only got into my small chain ring once at TX.

Heading up tonight - good luck everyone!

2013-09-19 3:58 PM

Subject: For sale: local tri gear for anyone racing Lake Tahoe
I have a bunch of things for sale that might be of interest to the ironman crowd, especially anyone who forgot/broke anything. I'm in Truckee, and will mail, or can deliver (Truckee, Kings Beach, Tahoe City, Squaw, etc) and install any of these items for anyone racing this weekend. Have pics too for anyone who's interested.
Thanks!
Conrad

$1200 Luma TT carbon frame/fork/post with super awesome/mean Chinese dragon paint job! 54cm seat & 54cm top, SRAM parts: carbon 900TT shifters and levers, Force brakes and front D, Red rear D, K-edge chain catcher, Profile Cobra carbon extensions with trimmed Vision AL base bar, ITM Millennium stem, Adamo saddle, Force GXP BB. Sold without cranks or wheels

$800 Quarq S975 Powermeter GXP, SRAM red 53/39 (53 is the special stiff TT/sprinter ring), 172.5, electronics are almost new (recently all replaced)

$40 SRAM 55T TT chainring

$900 Shimano Pro tubular disc wheel with team Highroad stickers, Red 11-23 cassette and like new Conti GP4000 tire. Super pimp and fast like Tony. Includes padded Mavic wheel bag and crackpipe pump adapter

$1K Reynolds 46mm Carbon Clinchers (no stickers) with Reynolds branded hubs (I think they're DTSwiss, but I'm not sure), like new Conti GP4000 tires, Force 11-26 cassette, campy wheel bags. BOMBER wheels.

$1200 Ritchey Super Logic 46mm carbon tubulars with Red 11-26 cassette, like new Conti GP4000 tubulars, and padded Mavic wheel bags. CRAZY light

$50 Giro Advantage TT helmet, Medium, White/silver, worn once or twice.

2013-09-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: dhopman

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Drove the entire course (except the closed part with the other brutal climb) and biked from Northstar to the Brockway summit yesterday.

This is going to be one tough ride. I sure hope I am not on my bike for seven hours but the possibility exists. It is going to be all about surviving to get to the run in good enough shape to actually run.

Time goals out the window. I just want to be able to say that I finished IMTahoe's brutal inaugural race because if the DNF rate is too high things will change from year one to two.
2013-09-20 1:46 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ps. Planning my first ever total clothing change in an IM. I am going to get dry and put on dry clothes in T1 with multiple layers to drop along the way. I think that is part of the "survival" thing I mentioned above.
2013-09-21 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Good luck, everyone... The NWS seems to think the wind will calm down right about the time you jump in the water... Be safe, and enjoy your adventure!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Tahoe : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6