General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2013-05-21 9:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread

Originally posted by dummey I also survived, geez was it a hard day. Swim turned out amazingly given that this was my first open water swim/swimming with a wetsuit. I know everybody is freaking out about drowning right now, but it wasn't that bad at all. Bike was a mixed bag. Had a bit of a file up at the 2nd aid station. Kept my target average of 22 up until that stupid chip seal area and that destroyed my arches. I have never had arch pains before, but this was so bad the best I could do was keep myself upright until the next aid station. I am so glad for the station at mile 70 with the ice pool! I chilled and soaked my feet for a good 90 mins before I could continue. If it wasn't there, I would have probably quit. And yea the "run", it was a pretty good walk. Even now sitting here, it boggles my mind that I walked for 7 hours. And thus I have finished my first Ironman/tri. Not the time I was hoping for, but still damn proud of myself for finishing.

First, congrats on finishing off a tough day.

Now I'm going to offer you a bunch of unsolicited advice so you don't continue making the same mistake.

- What possible reason could you have to think you could hold a 22mph average for an Ironman bike split... in your first IM... in your first triathlon???  That's a 5:05 bike split.  Wanna know how many guys in your AG rode a 5:05 or better?  Seven.  7 out of over 150 in your AG.  What made you think you were in the top-2%?  Did you ever ride 112 miles at 22mph in 90 degree heat with a marathon to follow?  You were biking like you were going to Kona without the fitness, experience or ability to back it up.

-You biked WAY beyond your ability and overcooked yourself.  Not saying you weren't having issues with your feet but it's probably a side effect of cooking yourself.  I'm hear to tell you your race would've turned out the same whether your feet hurt or not.

-You averaged 22mph early on because you had a 10mph tailwind for the first 40 miles.  Once you turned west you no longer had that and you still tried to keep the pace.

-You paced yourself off a speed number which is foolish on several levels, most notably due to variances in wind and hills. NEVER pace off of speed.  Pace off of power or heart rate or RPE.

-It was hot.  One must slow down in those conditions... even on the bike.

-When you booger your bike execution during an IM you walk for 26 miles.

I know you want to blame this or that but it really came down to poor bike execution.  I don't even need to know anything about you to tell you that.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2013-05-21 9:17 PM

2013-05-21 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

double post

Edited by GMAN 19030 2013-05-21 9:16 PM
2013-05-22 1:38 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

New user
San Francisco
Advice sounds different to me mate.

He had high, probably unrealistic, expectations but the level of your "advice" is ridiculous. Towards the end, you actually do give some advice but before that, it is all patronising.

2013-05-22 6:40 AM
in reply to: paddyirishman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by paddyirishman Advice sounds different to me mate. He had high, probably unrealistic, expectations but the level of your "advice" is ridiculous. Towards the end, you actually do give some advice but before that, it is all patronising.

But typical BT hand holding and coddling would be a better approach?  Give me a break.  Dude thought he could ride like he was going to Kona without the ability to do so and paid for it.  I want to make sure he doesn't do that again.  If you want to tell him "Great job" or "You'll do it next time" then go right ahead... and watch him make the same mistake again.

I'm fine with patronizing as long as it sinks in.  I don't care how the message comes across, just that it came across.

2013-05-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: paddyirishman

User image

Pro
CyFair
Sorry I'm with Bob here. Someone who thinks they can roll that course in those conditions at 22 mph needs a reality check. Anyone that IS capable of pulling off that feat would know that speed is a horrible metric to work off of because it is subject to so many outside influences.
2013-05-22 1:41 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Havent seen anyone post this yet .... Post race banquet video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAzeIdSvmw

Also, big congrats to all those that finished this weekend, especially the first timers!

2013-05-22 5:53 PM
in reply to: se7930

Plano, TX
Hopefully this isn't an incredibly dumb question that I could have found easily somewhere else....anyone know how many actually started the race? I saw someone post that there were almost 400 DNFs which was a number I was also curious about...just curious about the number that towed the line since it seems like the number of participants in the results is related to the number of people that paid their money, but not necessarily those that got in the water on race day...

Congrats to everyone that even gave it a shot on Saturday. Maybe not one of the more successful days of my life, but one I won't forget and I'll forever be proud of for finishing.
2013-05-22 6:07 PM
in reply to: jte463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
2383 starters according to the official timekeepers.
2013-05-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: se7930

User image

Originally posted by se7930

Havent seen anyone post this yet .... Post race banquet video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAzeIdSvmw

Also, big congrats to all those that finished this weekend, especially the first timers!

I made the video!
18s in... that's me changing my morning flat!

Pro Tip: Don't inflate your tires until race morning or they might pop from the Texas Heat.

On a different topic...

Does anyone know where to find the Kona Slot allocations ? Or did you just have to be there to see it?
2013-05-22 8:43 PM
in reply to: Li0nel1234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Li0nel1234 On a different topic... Does anyone know where to find the Kona Slot allocations ? Or did you just have to be there to see it?

The columns are AG|Eligible Racers (non-wetsuit)|Kona Slots Awarded 

M18-24 45 2 
M25-29 125 3 
M30-34 218 5 
M35-39 247 5 
M40-44 268 5 
M45-49 200 4 
M50-54 107 3 
M55-59 46 2 
M60-64 17 1 
M65-69 10 1 
M70-74 4 1 
M75-79 1 1 

F18-24 12 1 
F25-29 45 2 
F30-34 78 2 
F35-39 90 3 
F40-44 79 2 
F45-49 71 2 
F50-54 35 2 
F55-59 17 1 
F60-64 5 1 
F65-69 3 1 

Totals 1723 50 

2013-05-22 10:38 PM

User image

Thanks! Where did you find this?

2013-05-23 6:14 AM
in reply to: Li0nel1234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
A couple of guys from the official timing company (SportStats) post on Slowtwitch.
2013-05-23 9:29 AM

User image

New user

I would like some solicited advice please.

I ran into 2 big issues throughout the day:

1. Hydration - I peed 2-3 times in the first 56 miles of the bike. I kept drinking water like a fish and supplementing a metasalt capsule every 1-1.5 hours. However, I knew I was in trouble when I hadn't peed again by mile 80. I was getting overheated and stopped at the aid station at mile 95 for an entire hour. Parked my rear under a misting tent and drank 3 big bottles of water. I wasn't going to get up until I knew I could continue. Finally peed and continued on. Stopped at the last bike aid station (mile 104 or so) just to be sure I was good to go. Finished the bike feeling strong.

2. Stomach issues - The first 14 miles of the run felt good. Most people were on their second loop (walking) so I stuck out for the fact that I was running. Kept my HR in the 120's, and walked the aid stations to take in water/perform/bananas. Starting at mile 14, I couldn't take in anything but water. I wasn't throwing up, but my stomach felt "sour". Anytime I put something in my mouth I would have to spit it out. It was almost involuntary. Started getting dizzy/lightheaded due to the lack of nutrition intake (I believe). When they finally broke out the chicken broth, I could handle that. And finally in the last 5 miles I could take down bananas. Looking back, my stomach was tumultuous pretty much from the start of the bike on.

Anyways, walked and jogged the last 12 miles. It wasn't glorious but I knew I would finish. My heart goes out to anyone who didn't finish but considering a 17% DNF rate, don't beat yourself up too much. You toed the line and gave it your all. I walked some with a guy who was doing his 4th IM. He said he knew he wasn't going to finish. This was my first IM, but from my experience at shorter distances, you just never know what the day is going to throw at you.

That being said, this was my first IM and definitely not my last. I'm all about self learning. Any ideas on the stomach issues? I've never experienced anything like that before. Can the heat cause that kind of GI distress? Any advice or criticism is much appreciated!

Tony
2013-05-23 9:57 AM
in reply to: tforinash

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
What was your calorie source on the bike?
2013-05-23 10:01 AM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

New user

Originally posted by Fmode11

One cliff bar an hour with accelerade. About 310 calories an hour. I didn't quite finish that last cliff bar, again because of the stomach not feeling so great.
2013-05-23 10:39 AM

User image

On the hydration... I had a pee in the water before the start and then I didn't pee until after the bike. I also never had to pee on the run. I drank my weight in water, my self brought gatorade, and the perform so I don't know what to tell you there. I was holding it on the bike like I do on training rides. I did pee right after the run though.

On the stomach issues? I also felt like I couldn't keep anything down but I forced myself and said if I throwup I throwup but at least I tried. Also, I kept with what I had trained with. Clif bar right at the end of my ride and in transition with lots of water and one in my back pocket for snacking while walking the aid stations. I couldn't do the bonk breaker bars. I did take in a couple of pretzles and bannana pieces at the stations. I don't know what to tell you other than stick with what your gut knows. The change ups might have messed you up?

2013-05-23 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by tforinash

One cliff bar an hour with accelerade. About 310 calories an hour. I didn't quite finish that last cliff bar, again because of the stomach not feeling so great.

It could have been too much protein between the cliff bar and accelerade. Protein is much tougher to break down in the stomach. I feel I can speak fairly well on this since I used to use that same exact set-up. Accelerade is great but sometimes is makes my stomach uncomfortable as well. I had two, seat mounted pre-filled bottles with 240 calories a piece. I was planning to drink 1 per 56 miles. I only drank 3/4 of one as it was just too much early on and I stuck to 2 aid station water bottles per aid station. Just past special needs, I attempted a bottle of Preform, but the stomach was liking that so I chucked it.

Did you practice this same nutrition set-up before the race? Another thing to consider was the conditions and the humidity. This will change your body needs quickly and since the weather was much different all season leading up to the race a lot of people's nutrition plans went hay-wire. Thankfully I was able to resort back to my plan from last summer quickly and was able to have a strong run without any GI issues. I also will note I take one Saltstick pill every hour for the entire race as soon as I got on my bike.
2013-05-23 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
1. Don't drink water, especially in the Texas heat, it dilutes your blood sodium levels. It's a tip I got from my coach, dieticians, and pros. This is a day that you could not drink enough sports drink. Water's osmolality is also much worse than Perform's (ie you absorb more Perform). You should have been going through a bottle of sports drink between each aid station, or at least every other.

2. Eat only enough solids to keep you satiated. Gels/sports drinks are designed to be metabolized instantly and used by the body. You don't want the blood that should me in working muscles being diverted to the stomach to aid in digestion.

3. Play with your salt pill intake based on the heat. I was at a pill every half hour after the first half of the bike.
2013-05-23 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by uhcoog

1. Don't drink water, especially in the Texas heat, it dilutes your blood sodium levels.

This might be the most unqualified statement made to date on BT.

So what you're saying is my drinking total ~350 oz. of water on the bike was too much and what exactly should have happened to me.... ??? Because if you want to say you couldn't run a 10:30/mile marathon in a 100+ degree heat index then we can debate.
2013-05-23 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

1. Don't drink water, especially in the Texas heat, it dilutes your blood sodium levels.

This might be the most unqualified statement made to date on BT.

So what you're saying is my drinking total ~350 oz. of water on the bike was too much and what exactly should have happened to me.... ??? Because if you want to say you couldn't run a 10:30/mile marathon in a 100+ degree heat index then we can debate.

LOL. OK. Maybe I cut my thoughts too short because I was in a hurry. I would prefer that you take in only sports drink, no water. It has cals and CHO, it has sodium, it has electrolytes, it's osmolality is better than water so it absorbs and is utilized better by your system. Whether Perform, Accelerade, Infinit, whatever, it's a better option than water for hydration and nutrition in an Ironman. There are exceptions like using water to offset an uber concentrated bottle of nutrition.

I've also heard nutritionists at the Ironman institute preach against too much water at IMTX as well as the pros at the Outrival pre race meeting did the same from what I heard. In some situations you can end up with hyponatremia (sp?) from taking in too much water and diluting you blood sodium levels.
2013-05-23 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Hypotrophia, but yeah you should be concerned with that.

The problem with that is if you are steadily sweating you can not drink enough water to reach that point, epically with no acclimatization (word?) time to those conditions. If you were to stop and continue to drink that much water then you could be in danger. I did not drink much water on the run as I switched to 1.2 cups of preform and it fit me nicely. I choose to go with the large amount of water based on the amount I knew I was sweating. I also had a minimal weight loss from the race. I know some who drank limited water and lost between 5-8 lbs.

2013-05-23 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

The problem with that is if you are steadily sweating you can not drink enough water to reach that point, epically with no acclimatization (word?) time to those conditions. If you were to stop and continue to drink that much water then you could be in danger. I did not drink much water on the run as I switched to 1.2 cups of preform and it fit me nicely. I choose to go with the large amount of water based on the amount I knew I was sweating. I also had a minimal weight loss from the race. I know some who drank limited water and lost between 5-8 lbs.

Actually yes you can. In general during an IM you lose 1200 mg of sodium/hour and at IMTX I'm sure it was a ton more. If you are replacing the salty fluids lost with fluids that don't have any sodium you certainly can thin out your blood sodium levels.

ETA: Hyponatremia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

Edited by uhcoog 2013-05-23 12:50 PM
2013-05-23 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Actually yes you can. In general during an IM you lose 1200 mg of sodium/hour and at IMTX I'm sure it was a ton more. If you are replacing the salty fluids lost with fluids that don't have any sodium you certainly can thin out your blood sodium levels.

ETA: Hyponatremia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

I was subsidizing my water intake with Saltstick tabs so I believe we are arguing the same point. If you are purely drinking fluid for sodium then, yes, Preform is your better choice. I don't care for Preform, thus stick to water + pills.
2013-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Salt Stick caps have 215 mg of sodium per cap. That's a hell of a lot of pills to get you to 1200 mg. IJS
2013-05-23 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Salt Stick caps have 215 mg of sodium per cap. That's a hell of a lot of pills to get you to 1200 mg. IJS

Well "coach".... I'm sticking to what works. Between salt, gels, "other" major calorie source I was def in the clear. No cramping, nothing near cramping. First IM, first marathon after first 1/2 Ironman. If anything, the amount of porta-can stops on the run was the major time limiter, not a lack of sodium.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43