General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wauconda Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wauconda, Illinois
United States
Wauconda Park District
Total Time = 1h 09m 24s
Overall Rank = 2/277
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Got ready and drove over. On the way, realized I forgot my watch back at home. Still had the bike computer, so would just carry that with for the run.
Event warmup:

Get everything ready at transition, then go over to the swim start. Made sure to get in the water (always at least get in the water). Swam a little bit, but not much. Just stayed loose until my wave, the last one.
Swim
  • 18m 28s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

No wetsuits allowed, way too warm. I wouldn't have anyway unless it was rather cold. Getting used to swimming without suit more for later races. Jogged/walked it in and got going once deep enough. Felt strong throughout. Didn't redline it, but don't think I have me effort dialed in well enough to do that yet. And it doesn't help me really, as form deteriorates too quickly.

This swim was definitely long. This swim was definitely long. I'd guess more like 1,000m. I don't think anyone broke 15 min in this.

Weeds were a concern on this one, as the lake normally does have them and the water is lower due to little to no rain for awhile. It turned out ok. There were some right away, but not much once we got out. We could see them, but not reach them. Swim was farther out from shore than previous and boats were tearing it up when I stopped by Saturday. There were some floating bits out there that snagged, but nothing serious. I had one get caught on the timing chip, and couldn't shake it. Couldn't remember if it was faster to stop or keep going. Stopped and got rid of it because the mental distraction was enough to justify it.
What would you do differently?:

Did well with it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Longish run-up to the transition area. There is a skate park where they used to put it. All pavement, which I still can't run fast on. But at least I could trot along on this, or it would have been worse.

Need tri-shoes and ability to run on hard/paved surfaces.
Bike
  • 27m 30s
  • 11.7 miles
  • 25.53 mile/hr
Comments:

DId alright on the bike. I'm carrying more fatigue into this one than normal, but power was only a little low from where I wanted. Was worried about course congestion since I was starting in the last wave, and early waves included the Olympic distance folks. Many of us would get out of the swim at the same time. Got a little tighter at times, but no issues.

Probably made some people nervous, but some people need to learn how to space things out and listen. There is always someone faster out there. "Move right" was by far the most effective method of communication. 5 or 6 might move over at once. Parting of the sea type effect.

Power numbers
5 sec: 593
1 min: 393
5 min: 335
20 min: 323
Overall: 320
Normalized: 322

Rather evenly paced with a slight drop in the latter parts. Not sure if it's the terrain changes (to slightly downward trend) or tiring.

Not really anything. Being better rested would have helped, but this was a hard workout.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Saw someone go down just before the line. Don't know what happened there, but he seemed ok. Lots of volunteers around since it was at transition. Made it around and stayed out of the way. Got my stuff and went on my way.

Keep working on getting my run legs going faster so I don't have to walk while putting on the belt.
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't have the watch, so carried along the Garmin 800 for this. Didn't feel that weird. Just had to adjust pace vs speed, but that came easily enough. Don't think the 800 works as well with the slower run speed (slower than bike). Always seemed to be showing me slower than it seemed, and slower than end time would indicate.

A little over half a mile in, I picked up a horrible abdominal cramp. The very top part of the front pack. Never had this before, and WOW did it HURT. I actually had to slow down and walk. Drove me nuts because it was on a downhill, something I can really get some speed on too. Had to be done though because it felt like I would have given myself a hernia otherwise. Got a little better, so started running easy. Kept picking up the pace as it felt better. Past the mile marker it was fine.

From there I kept adapting to the run better and speed was increasing. Saw better than 9 (6:40 pacing) going up the slight hills, so knew I would be ok. Really have to remember to keep my feet going fast early on. Don't take the bigger steps. Stride length will come if I get my feet moving. And it did once I remembered to quick-step it.

Just kept targeting people up ahead and ran it the rest of the way in.

Remember my watch.

Keep working on the run off the bike. This does not come natural for me, and seems to be improving throughout the season. For the second time in a row now.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talking to people and grabbing food. Stretched some once I had calmed down enough.

Stayed for awards. Wasn't quite sure where I'd end up placing, but thought I should get something. Turned out I got 2nd overall. At least this time the guy was quite a bit faster, instead of only 2 seconds faster like last week was.

When accepting the award, I noticed that it said "Champion" on it. Announcers picked up on this when giving out 1st place. They gave me another one, and when checking, I saw "Female" this time. One more time guys? And then the got it right.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training fatigue. I didn't taper a bit for this one.

Last updated: 2012-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:28 | 800 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/277
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Point to point w/beach start. Hard left turn a few hundred meters out from finish.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:30 | 11.7 miles | 25.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/277
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Circles around the lake, but aways off of it. Came up with 11.7 miles, so that's what I'm using. Course is almost continuously small rollers. Never more than a minute before a change in terrain, often less. Hills not quite close enough to use momentum for the next.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:36 | 03.11 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/277
Performance:
Course: 1 loop course. Went out on the park's paved path and then onto neighborhood roads. The entire course was minor rollers, like with the bike. Always up or down, but nothing very noticeable.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?