United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 1s
Overall Rank = 90/262
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 430 without an alarm, grabbed my stuff and left at 5. Ate a clif bar and water on the drive, about 40min away. For some reason the bike racks were a little low and I couldn't hang my bike by the saddle like I like to do so had to use my handlebars. Got everything set up and then found a friend and chatted.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 21m 53s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

There seemed to be a lot of novice swimmers as they were zigzagging all over the place. Ended up just staying outside away from the group and just swam on my own. Didn't try to draft, until a little bit on the 2nd half. Even then I could really find a good person to use.
What would you do differently?:

Get a warmup in as that always seems to help me swim better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Had one of the fastest T1s of the day. Was only 3sec slower than a local pro and winner of the race!

Put my shoes on the bike and rubber banded them for the first time. I didn't like it. I am a bigger guy and trying to run and jump on the bike is just a big accident waiting to happen. Other than that it was a pretty quick transition. Time includes a long run up a grassy hill.

I am just as fast getting my bike shoes on and running in them with the bike as I am doing it with the shoes on the bike so just going to go back to that next time.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 57s
  • 23 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I put the wheel cover on my rear wheels yesterday and made the mistake of not checking my gears. I only had about half my gears so it was very tricky trying to find the right gear to ride in, And it was the middle gears, so I had my top end gears and slow gears but not much in between.

Other than that the wheel and helmet were very cool. I felt faster, but who knows. Can't hurt though right? Course was a tough one, a very hard steep climb right out of transition and it continues up after that for 5mi. Then comes a lot of rollers. The RD enjoys causing pain b/c he put the turn around right at the bottom of a steep hill, which means climbing right back up it. Way back was still the rollers but trended downhill so it was much better. I was passing a lot of people and didn't get passed by too many. I am happy with my time. Would have been better if all my gears worked!

Check my gears before the race!
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Some mountain biker decided to rack in my spot, not happy. Wasted time having to move their bike. Other than that it went well. Got my socks and shoes on quick.

Nothing I can think of.
Run
  • 42m 5s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Decent run, not great. Legs felt worse than normal after I pushed so hard on the bike. Fought through it and just kept moving. A slower run is better than walking, I kept telling myself. After a couple of miles I found a pretty good rhythm and just kept that pace.

More evidence the RD likes to inflict pain, he found the one little steep hill on the run course and put the finish lane right at the top.

I still need to improve my run. For some reason my bricks I do in training go much better than in races. Maybe I am not pushing as hard on the bike like I do in a race. Just the other day I did 30min hard intervals on the bike and knocked out a 7:56 run pace. Why can't I do that in a race?
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with a few friends then enjoyed a nice plate of BBQ!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run training. I really need to ramp this up.

Event comments:

This is one of the better run races I have been to. I had always heard good things about Mario and this race and finally decided to try it out this year. Glad I did. Bike course is tough, but overall it was a well run race and very enjoyable. Having BBQ afterwards is a big plus in my book!

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:53 | 1094 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 113/262
Performance: Good
Suit: regular tri suit
Course: triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:09:57 | 23 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 61/262
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: L-shaped out and back. Very hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:05 | 04.4 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 152/262
Performance: Average
Course: Very twisty course though neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-07-22 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Marble Falls Triathlon

2012-07-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4324391

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Marble Falls Triathlon

Nice job man!  That was indeed a tough course.  I thought the same thing about the novice swimmers... I had a guy that couldn't swim a straight line at all and kept on running into me.  Was me off to no end!

It was a lot of fun, looking forward to it again next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marble Falls Triathlon Rss Feed