General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lose weight after run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-19 2:08 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Lose weight after run
I find that I can lose a few kg sometimes up to 2kg or even 3kg (about 76kg)after a long run. Maybe this is due to water lost during a run but I always keep myself hydrated throughout the run. Is this normal? How much weight loss is normal and how much is too much? But I always gain back the weight at the end of the day(78kg).

2004-06-19 8:01 AM
in reply to: #32423

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Lose weight after run
You're right that it's from losing water. From my experience, I cannot drink enough during the run, even if I'm trying. That's why I try to ensure that I'm very hydrated before I run and rehydrate afterwards. As long as you're sure that you're adequately hydrated to begin with and are gaining the weight back by the end of the day, you should be fine.
2004-06-19 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
i've heard of people weighing them before and after a long workout to try and measure the water/other stuff that they had lost while working out and using that to figure out how much water they need to rehydrate themselves.

I wouldnt worry about trying to drink often enough that your weight doesnt decrease at all, as long as you drink plenty before and after your workout, i dont see any problem with it.
2004-06-19 9:07 AM
in reply to: #32434

Veteran
Singapore
Wow, so if I lose 2 kg after a long run I have to drink like 2kg of water after the run to rehydrate ....... How often or when do you take powergel or water during a half or full marathon or triathlon?
2004-06-19 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
i dont think that ALL the weight lost is water weight, i think at least some is sodium thats lost in sweat as well as other nutrients that your body burns up. So i dont think there is any nead to measure 2kg of water and swallow it down after the finish line... haha.

I wish i could help you on the whole gel thing and when to rehydrate for half or full marathons. but my legs have yet to build up to that distance.
2004-06-19 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
My rule of thumb is a gel every 1/2 hr - 40 mins (4-5 miles)...I try to stay away from gatorade etc. on race day, as it tends to back up in my stomach (heartburn), although I have no problem with it in training. The gel intake, however may be a little excessive, as I am a type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) and need to ensure that I always have some 'carbs' (sugars) running through my body, or it gets ugly in a hurry. The one good thing is that by maintaining a strict schedule for energy intake, I never risk 'bonking' because I never wait until i feel drained, before I charge up with a gel...Let me know if that works...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lose weight after run Rss Feed