Fast Forward Race
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 11s
Overall Rank = 48/341
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/27
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15am, had coffee and small breakfast snack. Race was on the other side of town, 10 min drive at the most. Arrived at race, set up and walked thru transition entrances/exits. Race was at 7:15am start due to low tide.
Event warmup:

One mile jog up and back the beach, light stretching, and then a 10 swim warmup. I was in the 2 wave so I didn't have to stand around and wait to long at start.
Swim
  • 06m 38s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started and immediately found myself heading left more then I needed. Had to veer right to stay on course. Went out strong, reached the buoy and the usual bottleneck of racers, then headed straight back to shore. Minimal contact, until very end of swim segment. The water was so clear coming up to shoreline, alot of folks stopped swimming thinking they could touch the sandy bottom, only to realize they were still in 8-9ft of water. They then went horizontal and started swimming forward again. the final few feet there was alot of contact. We had caught the pack from wave 1 at that point so there were folks climbing, grabbing each other like crazy to move forward. Probably the more aggressive swim I have experienced thus far. Ended up myself taking a couple of hand slaps to the legs, and a couple of hand strikes over my nose. Small cut. Otherwise good, short swim segment.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, started veering to the left to much, at the start, but it resulted in a pretty clear swim path to the buoy turnaround.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Uneventful. I once again used my Garmin 305 GPS watch for this race. Tucked it away in a ziplock baggy, jammed up under my swim cap. Cap,goggles,suit off, Garmin mounted, off to bike segment.

nothing
Bike
  • 30m 45s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Pulled my right quad muscle slightly on friday, so I was worried about going to hard on the bike, and suffering on the run. Since i know all these roads very well, living here, I knew exactly where each slight downhill there was on the course. I pushed hard thru these areas, and slightly conserved on others. Only got passed by 4 or 5 guys, passed alot from earlier wave.

Push hard all the way thru the bike segment. Held back worrying about right leg. Did a hard ride and swim at the end of the week, wish I would have relaxed more prior to race day.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Garmin off bike clicked onto watch strap, off running. Up a small embankment back to beach for run.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 42s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt tight and my heartrate was jacked all over the place. Could feel a slight cramp in my right leg, but kept a steady pace. Felt my legs weren't in the mood to run on this day. Probably couldn't have ran much faster on this day. By the end, I felt if I was just in damage control mode.

Not do two hard workouts within 4 days of a race. Not much I could do about a tight quad muscle. Feeling better, I would have pushed the pace faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, snacks, and alot of stretching. Legs felt like bricks. A couple of days off and back to training for my Olympic distance race in 5 weeks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tight, sore right quad muscle. Felt tired on the bike and run segments.

Event comments:

All major intersections controlled by volunteers, and an early morning race meant little traffic. Nice venue. Would definately do this race again.
Got my first 1st place AG placing 3 weeks earlier, so I was hoping for a top 3 in this race. Top 5 placing, I'll take it! Wanted to finish in at least an hour=accomplished.

Last updated: 2012-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:38 | 440 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/341
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Beach start, running into water. Veered slightly to the left heading out to bouy, and then straight back to shore after rounding it. Sort of an off triangle swim course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:45 | 11 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: One single loop thru Marshfield. Mostly flat with one very minor hill climb, if even that. Bike course has changed since last year. I ride this course alot and find that going the opposite way would lead to faster times. A few false flat areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:42 | 03 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Low tide on beach--run north up beach to single turnaround point and back. One water station midway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes