General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2012-08-01 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Hi All,

This will be the 3rd IMLP for me.  I love this course and have trained here a few times.  In 2013 my goal is to improve my overall time from 2010, the last time I raced this course.

I have a few years of experience with Triathlons, so any questions I will try to answer. 

So questions for the group.

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2013 race?
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc…)

2012-08-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
tasr - 2012-08-01 1:50 PM Hi All,

4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip

Yay, the thread finally started!

This will be my second IM; I did Florida in 2010.  My main goals are to finish healthy - I'll have a lot less time to train for this one than I did my last one (childless before, 9mo daughter now). 

Good luck to all!

2012-08-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4341968

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
jcnipper - 2012-08-01 4:36 PM

This will be my second IM; I did Florida in 2010.  My main goals are to finish healthy - I'll have a lot less time to train for this one than I did my last one (childless before, 9mo daughter now). 

Good luck to all!

So cool to have another Savageman doing IMLP. 

2012-08-01 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Yay for the 2013 thread.

This will be my fifth IM but my first Lake Placid. Really looking forward to it. My goal is to improve my times and have fun.

2012-08-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4341995

User image

Regular
tasr - 2012-08-01 4:48 PM

Good luck to all!

I did my first IM at Lake Placid 10 days ago and I'm still a little lightheaded about the whole experience. I will get to goals later in the year/thread but there are certainly some improvements that I want to make. Mainly, I want to get to the start line healthy and try to have at least half as much fun as I did in 2012. RE: Healthy. I nearly took myself out of this year's race with an overuse injury four weeks from race day. I'll also try to negative split the bike, improve my swim time/place and generally get through the run in much better shape. Really focus on the run; that is a critical goal.I rode the Savageman course today! It was my first time back on my bike since IMLP. It is my next race -- I'm going back for my third time.
2012-08-01 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
tasr - 2012-08-01 12:50 PM Hi All,

4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc&hellip

1. FIRST IM...so excited.  I've got several season of tri under my belt, dating back to 2003 (but didn't race every season)...including 3 HIM.

2. Got some training on the LP course this past month.

3. I want to get to the race healthy.  If I can...I think I can put together an 11-12 hr race.

4. I have LOTS of questions...but will wait to annoy everyone until a later date.

2012-08-01 10:58 PM

User image

Regular

my first iron man

will set my goal after I finish this year. Still have 2 HIM and 1 sprint.

First ???? when do most of the motels and hotels fill up. Thanks Paul

2012-08-02 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4342637

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
deadman - 2012-08-01 11:58 PM

my first iron man

will set my goal after I finish this year. Still have 2 HIM and 1 sprint.

First ???? when do most of the motels and hotels fill up. Thanks Paul

Paul,

The Hotels in town fill up first.  Most will also have a waiting list.  In town can range from $250 and up most with a 5 night minimum stay and deposit varies. 

There are a bunch of Hotels/Motor Inn type places onSaranac Ave (Route86).  Some of those fill later with prices ranging from $150 and up. 

We have always made reservations early like the week after race.  I am sure some others will chime in with suggestions. 

2012-08-02 5:17 AM
in reply to: #4342319

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

klassman - 2012-08-01 7:51 PM

I did my first IM at Lake Placid 10 days ago and I'm still a little lightheaded about the whole experience. I will get to goals later in the year/thread but there are certainly some improvements that I want to make. Mainly, I want to get to the start line healthy and try to have at least half as much fun as I did in 2012. RE: Healthy. I nearly took myself out of this year's race with an overuse injury four weeks from race day. I'll also try to negative split the bike, improve my swim time/place and generally get through the run in much better shape. Really focus on the run; that is a critical goal.I rode the Savageman course today! It was my first time back on my bike since IMLP. It is my next race -- I'm going back for my third time.

Hope to see you at Savageman......

2012-08-02 7:10 AM

User image

Connecticut
tasr - 2012-08-01 1:50 PMHi All,

This will be the 3rd IMLP for me.  I love this course and have trained here a few times.  In 2013 my goal is to improve my overall time from 2010, the last time I raced this course.

I have a few years of experience with Triathlons, so any questions I will try to answer. 

4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc…)

This will be my first.I have been to LP many times visiting family in the area. Volunteered at this year's event - it was magnificent. Did the bike and swim loops the Saturday before.Goals: no training injuries, finish on my feet, feel good about my experience, time goal TBDI am sure I will have questions, and appreciate the incredible resource that the BT forum can provide. I am sure I will be taking advantage of this as time goes by.Looking forward to the journey.Chris
2012-08-02 8:21 AM

User image

Rochester, NY
tasr - 2012-08-01 1:50 PM Hi All,

IN!

This will be my first IM, goal is to toe the line uninjured and finish with a smile. 

I too need to figure out a place to stay.  Did a little internet searching and was looking for a cabin semi close by.  Maybe my Google powers are weak, but I can't find much and what I can is way out of budget. 

2012-08-02 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

Savageman is my favorite race.  I got my brick in '10 but missed it in '11.  No plans to do it this year, as I've been recovering from a nagging back injury.

Nipper, I always get confused for a second when I see your screen name and think one of my relatives is stalking me (it's my last name).

2012-08-02 11:05 AM

Regular
I'm in for 2013. I volunteered this past year at the special needs bike area and had a blast. This will be my first IM and I plan to follow the Don Fink competitive plan in the Be IronFit book. I followed the IMLP 2012 thread and learned alot. I have booked a two bedroom condo from Wed to Wed. for next year. Goal is to finish with a smile within the time allowed! I have completed two 70.3 and have scheduled another one on Sept. 8th.
2012-08-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4342978

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
jcnipper - 2012-08-02 9:41 AM

Nipper, I always get confused for a second when I see your screen name and think one of my relatives is stalking me (it's my last name).

jc, we will be like family by next July :-)

2012-08-02 11:35 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
So, does anyone know what the temperature of Mirror Lake will be on race day?

James - thanks for getting the ball rolling - do we really have to start training again already?????

The wife and I are signed up again for 2013, but after a little too much wine at dinner last week we got to thinking we might do IM Switzerland instead (it is the same day as IMLP). But seeing as this is easily the best thread on BT and the last 4 years of IM Switzerland has a total of 5 posts combined, I imagine this will at least be my surrogate home, if you all will have me...

Lake Placid is an awesome race in every way - for those that have selected it as their first IM you simply could not have picked a better one.

2012-08-02 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4342319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
klassman - 2012-08-01 7:51 PM
tasr - 2012-08-01 4:48 PM

Good luck to all!

Are you trying to beat all the pro's,  weren't you first out of the water in your AG?  I wish I had half your swim skills, though I can't complain I just had the best swim of my Tri career in LP.  

2012-08-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4343454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
TankBoy - 2012-08-02 12:35 PM So, does anyone know what the temperature of Mirror Lake will be on race day?

James - thanks for getting the ball rolling - do we really have to start training again already?????

The wife and I are signed up again for 2013, but after a little too much wine at dinner last week we got to thinking we might do IM Switzerland instead (it is the same day as IMLP). But seeing as this is easily the best thread on BT and the last 4 years of IM Switzerland has a total of 5 posts combined, I imagine this will at least be my surrogate home, if you all will have me...

Lake Placid is an awesome race in every way - for those that have selected it as their first IM you simply could not have picked a better one.

Don't you mean the water temp in Saranac Lake?   I agree with everything Rusty has said you could not have picked a better race as your first.  Since I just finished it as my first this year, though I won't be racing in 2013,  I'll be volunteering instead and will be back for 2014 (will be starting that thread shortly ).  So if you don't mind I would love to hang out with you guys/gals for the next year.  Work can wait   plus it will give me time to pack  

2012-08-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4344034

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
JMoney - 2012-08-02 4:03 PM
TankBoy - 2012-08-02 12:35 PM So, does anyone know what the temperature of Mirror Lake will be on race day?

Don't you mean the water temp in Saranac Lake?   I agree with everything Rusty has said you could not have picked a better race as your first.  Since I just finished it as my first this year, though I won't be racing in 2013,  I'll be volunteering instead and will be back for 2014 (will be starting that thread shortly ).  So if you don't mind I would love to hang out with you guys/gals for the next year.  Work can wait   plus it will give me time to pack  

Oh yeah - that's right! I forgot they moved the swim to Saranac Lake for next year. Aren't they also switching the Haselton out-and-back to a climb up Whiteface Mountain?

Edited by TankBoy 2012-08-02 3:13 PM
2012-08-02 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4344051

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
TankBoy - 2012-08-02 4:12 PM
JMoney - 2012-08-02 4:03 PM

Oh yeah - that's right! I forgot they moved the swim to Saranac Lake for next year. Aren't they also switching the Haselton out-and-back to a climb up Whiteface Mountain?

Thats a fun climb.................

2012-08-02 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4343454

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

So you are in for IMLP 2013 but out to DO IMSI 2013?!?!

2012-08-02 10:02 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO

1.  This is my 2nd IM.  I did the inaugural IM St. George in 2010 (Doing the 70.3 2013 as part of my IMLP train up.

2.  This will be my first time at LP.  I'm originally from upstate NY and my entire family is coming up for the race which is going to be awesome.  I volunteered on the bike course this year and spent the afternoon checking out the marathon and the finish.  The crowds and atmosphere was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to experience that on race day.

3.  Naturally I'd like to get to to the start line healthy (still recovering from a broken clavicle and ribs suffered during a crit this summer) and I'd like to go sub 11 this time.  I really want to focus on the run this time around and turn in a much better performance than I did at IMSG.

4.  This will be my first time shipping a bike to an IM event.  Any tips or recommendations?

2012-08-03 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4344693

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
garryowen96 - 2012-08-02 11:02 PM4.  This will be my first time shipping a bike to an IM event.  Any tips or recommendations?

I have travelled with my bike all kinds of ways. I have used a triall3sports case multiple times a year since 1994 - we have a pair and both of them are still holding up very well. We mostly use them when we fly, but I have shipped them via FedEx and UPS as well. In 2011 I used TriBikeTransport for the first time (to IMLP) and absolutely loved their service. Didn't have to take the bike apart at all, and it was waiting for me in LP at the oval when I got there. It was great as you can send a gear bag with them as well. This year my LBS has started transporting bikes to bigger races, so I used them for IMLP instead. They took 10 bikes up to LP in their team trailer (along with gear bags) and as a bonus they retrieved our bikes out of transition for us when we were done. They were a little less expensive than TBT as well. While I have not used them, a few friends of mine have used www.bikeflights.com with good success. I am not sure what they do that you could not do with FedEx yourself, but my friends have said they have received excellent shipping rates through them - and FedEx will pick up your bike right at your door. My guess is that you could work out a deal to have it dropped off at one of the LP bike shops to have it reassembled and tuned if you did not want to fool with it yourself.

2012-08-03 7:32 AM

User image

I am wondering if anyone who registered for IMLP 2013 has not yet received an email to finish the registration process. Pretty sure it should have come within a week or so of signing up. I have sent a couple emails to WTC but no response yet.  Anyone else still waiting?
2012-08-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4344908

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Syrvelo - 2012-08-03 8:32 AM I am wondering if anyone who registered for IMLP 2013 has not yet received an email to finish the registration process. Pretty sure it should have come within a week or so of signing up. I have sent a couple emails to WTC but no response yet.  Anyone else still waiting?

I got mine that day.

2012-08-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4344908

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois

Syrvelo - 2012-08-03 7:32 AM I am wondering if anyone who registered for IMLP 2013 has not yet received an email to finish the registration process. Pretty sure it should have come within a week or so of signing up. I have sent a couple emails to WTC but no response yet.  Anyone else still waiting?

I just went on active.com website and finished my registration.  Didn't think we were waiting for an email to finish up the process.  You might want to check it out...I know the window is closing.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59