General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cascade, Maryland
United States
Racine Multisports
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m 45s
Overall Rank = 101/148
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. Coffee and a Cliff bar from 7-11, along with two huge bottles of water. Picked up my Dad and drive up to the race site. Set up TA and hung out water side and watched all the waves in front go off. I sipped on most of a large bottle of water. Kinda had to pee, but there was a lake for that.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50 yards out and back in the lake during the designated warm-up time. Non-wetsuit swim and I hadn't swum in my new tri top before, so I wasn't sure what it was going to feel like. Then had to wait like 30 minutes before my wave so I wasn't warm anymore by the time I hit the water.
Swim
  • 30m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt this was a good swim. I was bang on pace for what I thought I could do. One of the turn buoys broke loose and cut off about 50m/loop so I would have been exactly at 2:00/100 with the buoy in place.

I started at the back because my waves always go out too fast. Low and behold I was dropped from the pack within the first 50 as I started slow, then caught everyone as I went around the outside of the first turn buoy at 150m. Both the first and second sides had a lot of bumping and pushing, although it was more annoying than anything else. People kept swimming across the rest of the pack and getting in the way. I was kinda fun wrestling for position, but I was the one swimming over, not the one being swum over, so that may have something to do with it.

I tried finding some legs, but I was ahead of all the struggling folks and behind the quick guys. I caught a couple of people dropped from the front group and was passed by people on surges, but I'd hook on and they'd switch to breast or back stroke and I'd have to go around. I got out of the first loop feeling very fresh, so I sprinted across the beach, slipped and almost fell on the dock and decided to walk the rest of the way to the end. I jumped in (no diving) and had to readjust my shorts which rode up as I hit the water.

The second loop was a lot more chill. Just cruised my way around. I was a little out of breath (I suspect from the sprint across the beach), so I slowed pretty significantly during the first and second 150m sections to get my breath back. I began to drift right on the second 150m leg and on the 300m section across the top, but other than that I sighted pretty well. I began to get the start of a stitch in my right side on the top portion, but just relaxed and it went away.

I did loose some more time during the last section - there was a group of stragglers from the two waves ahead who were all over the place. I had to swim WAY wide to get around them, and even then I had some trouble finding a position to get to the beach. Maybe lost 30sec or a minute during the last 200m.
What would you do differently?:

I'm happy with the MOP swim, but there is a ton of potential for improvement. It's going to be a big focus for improvement over the winter because there's some low hanging fruit. Plus it's my favorite bit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Put on shoes in t2. Should've (and could've) swum with HR strap on, but wasn't sure whether I'd have to stash my tri-top in my shorts so I left it to put on in T1. I was prepared for a slow transition.

Focus more on being quick. I took it pretty easy because OLY is the longest distance I've done to date and I wanted to make sure everything was right.
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 23.61 miles
  • 15.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Judging by the run, I went too hard on the bike. Without a play by play, here's where I think I went too hard:

- Initial ascent out of TA. I underestimated how steep this was when I drove the course. I pushed hard initially, and the first two miles were pretty much all climbing in short, steep sections (10-11%) followed by a flat. My legs were burning by the summit and had time to recover, but I think I used some matches I would need on the run.

- Around the loop in the valley I also burned a few matches up some short steep ascents. I spiked my HR and should've seen it was taking longer and longer to drop to where I needed it once I was on the downhills. There was a long false flat into the wind coming back into the bottom of the major climb which I went too hard on while trying to catch folks and keep my av speed where I wanted it. Once again, HR was too high and I should've heeded the warning.

- The final long climb I was pretty happy with. I found gear that kept my HR in the low 160s (above where it should be, but where I felt comfortable for the climb). I was patient and didn't attack. At the top my av speed was right where I wanted it.

- I didn't allow for a good number of short steep climbs coming after the big one and used a few silly matches tearing up them. Should've spun and saved my legs.

After all the effort I've put in to move my cadence into the mid-80s, I should've been more careful to stay there. I should also just let people who want to crush hills go and catch them later instead of pushing up the hills on my own account.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Forgot to unstrap my Garmin from the handlebars. Again, since I underestimated the grade of the hill coming back down to the TA, I was at almost 40 - I'm not messing around with a watch strap at that speed! I also took my time as with T1 so I didn't forget anything.

Not forget Garmin on bike, try and be quick.
Run
  • 1h 07m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

It all fell apart on the run. The first loop was okay. I settled into a pace and did find some tired running legs after about 1/2 mile. I felt relatively strong on the first loop but I probably pushed too hard up some of the steep hill sections. I could've saved some legs and not lost much time by walking those. My stitch would come back whenever I pushed the pace, so that issue still isn't solved, although it was definitely my legs that limited me.

I looked at my watch at the end of the first loop and saw I needed a 26 minute 5k to finish in under 3 hours. I tried to push the pace, but I literally ground to a halt on the first hill and had to walk. I ran about 1/2 mile of flat, then with two miles to go I had to start walking anything even slightly up hill. I ran most of the last mile, but at an 11+ minute pace. At that point stopping would have been a disaster, since

People were super friendly on the second loop - I chatted with a few different guys and we all paced each other a little before splitting up.

Run a few more hills in training and learn to better pace the bike. This was a tough course - My dad said most people were doing a walk/run on the second loop with more walking than running.
Post race
Warm down:

Try not to pass out. They said I won the raffle as I came across the line, but I don't think I knew what a raffle was at that point. Got water, cold towel and a banana, tried to continue putting one foot in front of the other.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'll give myself a little pass and say experience with pacing. I didn't really think about/know how much each of those little attacks was taking out of my legs.

First time at the distance, I'll take a finish and the fact that I felt okay until the last 5k of the run. Effort was 100%. Next time will be better!

Event comments:

A small selection of food, but they were running out of water by the time I finished. The cold towel and water bottle right at the finish line are awesome though!

Last updated: 2012-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 95/148
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2x 750m loops with a run across the beach between them.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:00 | 23.61 miles | 15.74 mile/hr
Overall: 93/148
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lollipop route with a short steep climb into a long downhill to start, rolling hills and a LOT of false flats through the valley, then a significant climb (5mi @ 4-6%) back to transition. Total climbing was 1500 feet or about 80 feet/mile.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:38 | 06.21 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 108/148
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course around the Fort Ritchie property. 150 feet of climbing per loop in short, steep hills (sound like a theme?!).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-08-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4348930

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course
John I think that is a great time for a course that sounded pretty difficult especially if this is your first Oly. You picked a heck of a course to do it on! I definitely would be feeling pretty good being able to complete it in the time you did. I think you did a great job touging it out on the run. The hardest part is getting a feel for and figuring out your pacing. That will come with more experience but you probably learned a lot about what you can do and it will go a long way for future races. Great job man!
2012-08-06 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
MI

ugh, hills!! Sounds like it was tough out there but way to keep pressing on!!  Learning experience I'm sure.

Hope you have fun with the swimming over the winter!!

2012-08-07 4:49 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Sounds like a really difficult course with all of the hills.  I imagine you did quite well considering it is your first race at this distance.  You didn't mention any fueling on the course either.  Hopefully you took some in on the bike.  An Oly is too long to not take any fuel as you need to take on fuel if your going to be out for around 2 hours.  If you didn't take anything on the bike that may be why you were crashing on the run.

It sounds like you nailed the swim pretty well and even the bike seems to be a good leg with all of the hill.  Also your T times are pretty decent.  I wouldn't say that you are particularly slow at them but maybe cut a little bit of time from them where you can.

Congrats on your first Oly and I am sure there will be more at this distance for you!!!

2012-08-07 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran

John,

Way to motor through it. That was a tougher course than the course description let on. I agree, combined with the humidity it was tough to keep the core temp from rising and dehydrating...at least that's what happened with me. The good news, you completed a very tough Olympic. It'll make you next race more fun when you get faster bike/run splits. Congratulations.

2moremiles (Tim)

2012-08-08 5:48 PM

User image

Congratulations on completing your first Oly, John! I'm curious, like Dirk, as to what and how you fueled during the race. That may have contributed to your run not being what you wanted. No matter, you had a great longer distance tri and should be very pleased with crossing the finish line. I love that your Dad's involved in your races. That makes me smile.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Ritchie Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed